advertisement

The watch thread: pocket, wrist, sporty, showy? You name it!

I have a weakness for vintage military watches as well (along with chronos and other vintage sports watches) but have pretty much given up because market prices have really shot up. I do have some nice ones but there are still many desirable ones that cost more than I want to spend (especially when I still remember how much cheaper they were say 10 years ago). Like the IWC mark 11, single button Lemania chrono or the French Navy Tudor diver...These days I confine myself to the odd vintage Seiko or dress watch that is not trendy. In fact, old quartz Seiko divers are what I wear mostly these days.

Many of my collecting ambitions have been curtailed for the same reason.
I also have a weakness for vintage dive watches, so a less expensive option has been irresistible.
Current fav' is my '70 Smith's divers watch which is in fine unrestored condition, and with the original box.

Old Seiko divers are great. Perhaps unsurprisingly, I am very fond of the 300m Tuna.

seiko_pyf028-300x300.jpg

But there are many great ones: the 6105, 6306/9, 7548 even the common humble SKX007. Surprisingly for me, though, my favorite Seiko divers are the quartz ones i.e. the 300m Tuna and the 7548. These get the most wrist time.

Seiko-7548.jpg

As someone who is not interested or knowledgeable about watches, I still needed to purchase one recently and following a targeted ad on FB I have bought an Armogan 'Regalia' at half-price. Not sure where it is on the desirability index but I like it and I guess there are not many around?

Caliente said:
Armogan 'Regalia' at half-price. Not sure where it is on the desirability index but I like it and I guess there are not many around?

As long as you like it, it doesn't really matter. My daily wear Is a blue Orient "Ray 2" auto divers watch. Orient are part of the Seiko group. I swap between the stainless bracelet and a blue/black/grey Zulu strap (a more substantial version of the NATO).

It was dirt cheap and keeps good enough time for my needs (about -40s per week).

Not the most desirable timepiece, but I like it.

Yeah, if you like it that's all that matters. The watch I wear most of the time, and by a country mile, is my Casio F-91W. It's as cheap as chips (if you live in Kensington) and I absolutely love it.

Big up Casio. Deep in the vaults I have a 1 of 100 g shock watch GD-X6900MNM.
It's the only watch I'm too nervous to wear out.

I wish! It's 1/100 because it's signed by Eminem.
The GD-X6900MNM was a limited edition, and sold out quickly, but not sure how many were made.

My watch has been a Tissot PR50 for many years. Extremely reliable, nothing more to do than replacing the battery every 4 years or so.

That's a well-worn beauty. Looks like all original, I wouldn't do anything to 'restore' it.

Did he have any MoD issued watches from his RAF days? Those can be really special.

My late father’s Seamaster 30 c1965 bought whilst serving in the RAF in Singapore, and my 2254
F6-B6-A038-9-E60-473-A-BD9-E-F5-BDA923-E057.jpg

[/IMG]

My late father’s Seamaster 30 c1965 bought whilst serving in the RAF in Singapore, and my 2254

[/IMG]
Very nice indeed!

I love the '50s & early '60s Seamasters. Such elegant watches, with beautiful movements, and still relatively affordable considering the quality on offer. Sheer class.

Thank you both. No issued watches (at least not kept) - this was bought through a 'forces concession' deal, 200 Malay Dollars. Worn daily since then. I had it serviced for him last year, but have no intention of changing the appearance. The much faded luminous markers are the original radium phosphorous material.

My mum's going to be 70 in September and I'd like to buy her a watch. She has no interest in a mechanical so quartz it is. My budget is £500 - £1,000 so where should I be looking? Fwiw, This Raymond Weil looks like it would be her cup of tea but I've no idea whether RW is just another fashion brand like Gucci as opposed to being a well-established manufacturer of luxury watches.

0109595-0-ProductX

Yeah, if you like it that's all that matters. The watch I wear most of the time, and by a country mile, is my Casio F-91W.

What a cheapskate. My daily wearer is a Casio W71, 17 yrs old and now sadly discontinued, but I think when it finally dies I will splurge on a W59.

Old Seiko divers are great. Perhaps unsurprisingly, I am very fond of the 300m Tuna.

seiko_pyf028-300x300.jpg

But there are many great ones: the 6105, 6306/9, 7548 even the common humble SKX007. Surprisingly for me, though, my favorite Seiko divers are the quartz ones i.e. the 300m Tuna and the 7548. These get the most wrist time.

Seiko-7548.jpg

I am I must admit a dreadful movement snob when it comes to watches - almost everything I own is a mechanical automatic. There is something eminently sensible about a quartz diver - especially a wonderfully big beast of a Seiko one :)
Are there any others you'd recommend apart from the Tuna and the 7548 ?

Raymond Weil is a mid tier watch company that has been around for a long time and not really a 'fashion' brand. But it's largely irrelevant these days as a lot of 'serious' watch brands are owned by luxury fashion conglomerates such LVMH or Kering or Richemont anyway.

I fully agree that for older folk, a nice reliable quartz watch is often a better option than mechanical given the pain of keeping the mechanical watches wound and serviced. However your budget seems to be a lot for a quartz. I think the more serious brands tend to focus more on mechanical watches but if you are looking for quartz, any of the well-known brands should be fine. Just make sure that the movement is a good one e.g. ETA movements.

I do not recommend getting a vintage watch though. They are usually too fussy for regular older folk who have no interest in such things.

My mum's going to be 70 in September and I'd like to buy her a watch. She has no interest in a mechanical so quartz it is. My budget is £500 - £1,000 so where should I be looking? Fwiw, This Raymond Weil looks like it would be her cup of tea but I've no idea whether RW is just another fashion brand like Gucci as opposed to being a well-established manufacturer of luxury watches.

0109595-0-ProductX

Truth be told most of my watches too are vintage mechanical but for every day wear nowadays I prefer my quartz Seiko divers. They are virtually fuss-free and accurate. I am a bit tired of keeping my mechanical ones in good order and good reliable watch servicing is not easy to find.

The Tuna and 7548s are my personal favorites but some of the old Seiko quartz chronographs are very cool as well. Especially the ones issued to British military helicopter crew:

SEIKO_7A28_RAF_WRIST2.jpg

They are a bit small by today's fashion standards but they are so cool!

There are various models and variations of the Tuna both vintage and current. I like the 300m version but there are 600m and 1000m ones that are really too big for me. Can't go wrong with a Tuna IMO. CWC also make some nice quartz military divers as well.

https://www.cwcwatch.com/collections/divers-watches

I am I must admit a dreadful movement snob when it comes to watches - almost everything I own is a mechanical automatic. There is something eminently sensible about a quartz diver - especially a wonderfully big beast of a Seiko one :)
Are there any others you'd recommend apart from the Tuna and the 7548 ?

advertisement

Back