advertisement

Name Dropping.

In my peak golfing days, played many celeb am events and European Tour pro ams. Tarbuck, Wogan, Henry Cooper etc. Played with Ryder Cup players too. At one event, Seve in the group ahead, Faldo in the group behind. 87 Ryder Cup, we were in the celebration party with all the team. Nicklaus and Jacklin handed the cup to us for photos!
Best fun round was at Wentworth. Me and my mate partnered Tarbuck and Roger de Courcey. 4 hours or so of side splitting fun.
At T20 final in Barbados, had time for a quick round at Sandy Lane. Brian Lara and Garfield Sobers in the group ahead, called us through.

My dad and John 'Jack' Profumo, not long before the scandal broke. Maybe Nov.1961 ???

The photo is from the Daily Mirror - excuse the condition.

profumo-and-Pa-2.jpg

my dad was making christmas pudding at Queen Alexandra's Military Hospital - London - Profumo took a photo opportunity to splash some brandy into the mix.
My dad was choosen as he was a good-looking lad.

There is another photo of my dad shaking hands with Princess Margaret in the papers. Dad said that Princess Margaret was stunning in the flesh. (so to speak)

Ken Colley is a proper legend - from Admiral Piett in the first three Star Wars films, to Arthur The Robber in 'The Testing of Eric Olthwaite' from Ripping Yarns and as Jesus in Life of Brian, he was also in Eastenders and a long forgotten mid-90s series called 'Moving Story'. He was also in the film "The Whistle Blower" (which starred Michael Caine, Nigel Havers, Barry Foster, Sir John Gielgud, Gordon Jackson and James Fox), and was The Traveller in a 1984 Channel 4 television film by Ray Davies (of The Kinks) called Return To Waterloo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenneth_Colley
Not to mention, the accordion man in Pennies from heaven with Bob Hoskins.

I tend to see a lot of relatively famous political people just because of where I work (Whitehall, Westminster). The odd thing is that twice recently I've marched up to two, shaken their hand and congratulated them on something or other. Normally I'd be too reserved for that, but perhaps my advancing age has something to do with it.

The first was Lord Kinnock, out on a hot afternoon last week with Lady Kinnock, at Waterloo underground station. I just congratulated him on his generosity of spirit when discussing Thatcher in the recent BBC doc. The second was LBC's James O'Brien on a tube this lunchtime. I asked if he was who I thought he was, he rather tentatively said yes, and broke into a broad smile and shook my hand when I said I thought he was doing excellent work and he should keep it up.

I suspect people in public life more often than not get it in the neck from members of the public, and are quietly relieved when someone says something nice to them.

I tend to see a lot of relatively famous political people just because of where I work (Whitehall, Westminster). The odd thing is that twice recently I've marched up to two, shaken their hand and congratulated them on something or other. Normally I'd be too reserved for that, but perhaps my advancing age has something to do with it.

The first was Lord Kinnock, out on a hot afternoon last week with Lady Kinnock, at Waterloo underground station. I just congratulated him on his generosity of spirit when discussing Thatcher in the recent BBC doc. The second was LBC's James O'Brien on a tube this lunchtime. I asked if he was who I thought he was, he rather tentatively said yes, and broke into a broad smile and shook my hand when I said I thought he was doing excellent work and he should keep it up.

I suspect people in public life more often than not get it in the neck from members of the public, and are quietly relieved when someone says something nice to them.

The Kinnocks would surely be worthy of congratulation only for raising their noses from the trough for long enough to be generous of spirit. O'Brien was probably just relieved that you weren't about to sock him.

In Abu Dhabi, I shared a lift (going up) with Pan's People, can't remember the year, or which line-up.

The language would have embarressed a squaddie.

One of the girls apologised for the "french" as they bundled themselves out.

In Abu Dhabi, I shared a lift (going up) with Pan's People, can't remember the year, or which line-up.

The language would have embarressed a squaddie.

One of the girls apologised for the "french" as they bundled themselves out.

The only time you might wish for a lift breakdown.

We were seated very near Kenneth Branagh and John Sessions (who were sat next to each other) at the Barbican. It was the amazing play 'Black Watch' back in 2008. Everyone enjoyed it. Funny when you see a well-known person, they look exactly the same as they do on screen...

Played cricket for a couple of years with former world No1 bowler and his brother a county player.
Took a p!ss next to Steve Redgrave at a charity do. A big cox.
Two of my ex school teachers appeared on the sun front page for various dubious acts. Not related.
Worked with the guy jailed for emissions in US briefly.
Met one half of LMFAO in a canteen surrounded by German businessmen with him in a shiny tracksuit.

We were seated very near Kenneth Branagh and John Sessions (who were sat next to each other) at the Barbican. It was the amazing play 'Black Watch' back in 2008. Everyone enjoyed it. Funny when you see a well-known person, they look exactly the same as they do on screen...
Sir Kenneth turned up at the London premiere of my film last November and was very complemetary in the bar afterwards, charming guy

advertisement

Back