advertisement

The Brexit Parliament impasse

A way through the Brexit Parliament impasse...

• Government Position - May's Deal

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Labour Position - Agree a Customs Union with the EU

Votes: 7 63.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sorry, if you really don’t know I’m not about to help you.
(Just on the off chance that you're not trolling)
The Customs Union is not on the menu of options available from the EU in late May 2019 (the WTA does not include it). The UK leaves without a deal in October if the WTA has not been approved by Parliament. The Conservatives are in power, sort of, and show no signs of wanting a GE before October. How do you get your Customs Union, realistically?

The Customs Union is not on the menu of options available from the EU in late May 2019 (the WTA does not include it). The UK leaves without a deal in October if the WTA has not been approved by Parliament. The Conservatives are in power, sort of, and show no signs of wanting a GE before October. How do you get your Customs Union, realistically?
Realistically, not going to happen, which means, realistically, Labour support a PV that includes a remain option.

Reason for the thread was I wondered if any of the remainers would opt for anything other than ignoring the referendum result.

The reason I have a problem with it is the Leave option was not defined, probably because it was supposed to be advisory. But whatever, unless you specify terms - nobody really knows what they are giving up or supposed to be gaining. Anti votes are like that, they achieve nothing.

Sigh. I’ll leave at that with someone like you.

Tony, Please delete the thread, I won’t be posting again so you‘ll be relieved. Unbelievable responses.

It was an attempt to see if anyone would be prepared to compromise and say they would accept what Labour is proposing to the tories. May’s deal is clearly rubbish. It seems to me that with a 52/48 result we can’t stay as we are, something must change while at the same time repairing the damage done to the country by the tories. Labour’s proposal is a good compromise but people here are not interested in compromise, so I have the info I was looking for from the crap poll.

Well, that went almost as well as the Labour/Conservative cross party talks. At least they managed 3 weeks before a flounce, we only managed about 3 1/2 hours.

As expected, cross-party negotiation between the Conservatives and Labour has broken down.

My understanding of the position of each is:

Conservative Position - May's Deal
Labour Position - Establish a Customs Union with the EU

Note: If you're not interested in either of these realistic choices, please ignore the thread.
Can you please add an option"None of the above because they're batshit crazy?"

I think folk have been a bit unfair to Brian here.

Is it not the case that, at the moment, under the circs etc the realistic options are May's deal (highly unlikely to get through parliament) or, a compromise deal which includes a customs union, as preferred by Labour. Or a no deal exit?

Obviously many want to remain, but is that a realistic option?

I don't see how it is, in which case, asking folk which of the other options they feel is preferable is surely not unreasonable?

I find it alarming that Leave can’t answer basic questions like;
  • In what ways is Leave better than what we already have?
  • What is the plan for a post Brexit world?
  • What is the pro Brexit argument?
The sad truth is that Leave can get away without having to answer these questions when they’re not asked. Marr did quite a good job on Farage, but enabled him to hide behind questions about things he’s said in the past. Why not take Farage at his word and ask him about the future, what will a post Brexit world look like for us?

Farage is becoming more popular because he is not being questioned on absolutely key issues. What does Leave have to say about the future?

Sigh. I’ll leave at that with someone like you.

Tony, Please delete the thread, I won’t be posting again so you‘ll be relieved. Unbelievable responses.

It was an attempt to see if anyone would be prepared to compromise and say they would accept what Labour is proposing to the tories. May’s deal is clearly rubbish. It seems to me that with a 52/48 result we can’t stay as we are, something must change while at the same time repairing the damage done to the country by the tories. Labour’s proposal is a good compromise but people here are not interested in compromise, so I have the info I was looking for from the crap poll.
It's not 'May's deal' and Labour cannot propose anything.

There is a draft Withdrawal Agreement. This puts us outside the EU but in a contiguous relationship. At that point the future relationship can be negotiated over the next 2 or so years. Whatever the Tories and Labour discuss or propose this is the reality, nothing means anything until after leaving.

There are only three available options,

1. Revoke.
2. Withdrawal Agreement.
3. Treaties cease to apply on Oct 31.

That's it. I think a big chunk of the mess the mainstream parties are in is because they are dreaming of castles in the clouds when the reality remains the three options. There are no other unilateral options.

Reactions: PsB
I find it alarming that Leave can’t answer basic questions like;
  • In what ways is Leave better than what we already have?
  • What is the plan for a post Brexit world?
  • What is the pro Brexit argument?
The sad truth is that Leave can get away without having to answer these questions when they’re not asked. Marr did quite a good job on Farage, but enabled him to hide behind questions about things he’s said in the past. Why not take Farage at his word and ask him about the future, what will a post Brexit world look like for us?

Farage is becoming more popular because he is not being questioned on absolutely key issues. What does Leave have to say about the future?

This reporter had a good go at trying to get Farage to say what would be better...https://inktank.fi/welsh-tv-reporter-shredding-nigel-farage-is-the-best-interview-youll-watch-today/

advertisement

Back