advertisement

The Brexit Parliament impasse

A way through the Brexit Parliament impasse...

• Government Position - May's Deal

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Labour Position - Agree a Customs Union with the EU

Votes: 7 63.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Obviously many want to remain, but is that a realistic option?
At this stage, absolutely not. No main party will commit political suicide no matter how deluded they are portrayed as being. Only those who believe a party can stop Brexit & survive are deluded.

There are only 2 ways to stop Brexit. Let it fizzle out of existence over the coming years (my take on matters for some time) or a second ref (no guarantee of course)

Neither of the poll options will happen. I see a long & winding extension on the horizon as the EU realise we are heading for a no deal, something they want to avoid as much as those who voted remain.

I find it alarming that Leave can’t answer basic questions like;
  • In what ways is Leave better than what we already have?
  • What is the plan for a post Brexit world?
  • What is the pro Brexit argument?
The sad truth is that Leave can get away without having to answer these questions when they’re not asked. Marr did quite a good job on Farage, but enabled him to hide behind questions about things he’s said in the past. Why not take Farage at his word and ask him about the future, what will a post Brexit world look like for us?

Farage is becoming more popular because he is not being questioned on absolutely key issues. What does Leave have to say about the future?

"Farage is becoming more popular because he is not being questioned on absolutely key issues." Totally agree. Farage is popular because he communicates well in a reasonably affable manner. He gives simplistic answers which are often misleading or untruthful, but all the same, he makes the public feel he is on top of the situation. He has persuaded a large number of people he knows his stuff and has pinpointed why things in this country have not gone as well as it should - the EU. His party has a clear, unambiguous message and Farage has been totally consistent about this.

He has stumbled into a political vacuum created by the two main parties which are hopelessly divided on the issue, but they think the public is unable to see this. Farage can't believe his luck and will take every opportunity to hammer home his message of opposition to Europe.

Fortunately for him, he is on the crest of a populist wave which has created the Brexit issue, put Trump in the White House, has swept over much of Europe, India and most recently Australia.

You are right about the things he said in the past, eg the NHS should be replaced by a private insurance scheme, and these statements should be used to highlight that what he says today he will not be able to defend in a few years time and basically his political judgement is not to be trusted. But apart from Andrew Marr last week, I haven't seen many others make life uncomfortable for him in front of the cameras.

"Farage is becoming more popular because he is not being questioned on absolutely key issues." Totally agree. Farage is popular because he communicates well in a reasonably affable manner. He gives simplistic answers which are often misleading or untruthful, but all the same, he makes the public feel he is on top of the situation. He has persuaded a large number of people he knows his stuff and has pinpointed why things in this country have not gone as well as it should - the EU. His party has a clear, unambiguous message and Farage has been totally consistent about this.

He has stumbled into a political vacuum created by the two main parties which are hopelessly divided on the issue, but they think the public is unable to see this. Farage can't believe his luck and will take every opportunity to hammer home his message of opposition to Europe.

Unfortunately, he is on the crest of a populist wave which has created the Brexit issue, put Trump in the White House, has swept over much of Europe, India and most recently Australia.

You are right about the things he said in the past, eg the NHS should be replaced by a private insurance scheme, and these statements should be used to highlight that what he says today he will not be able to defend in a few years time and basically his political judgement is not to be trusted. But apart from Andrew Marr last week, I haven't seen many others make life uncomfortable for him in front of the cameras.
It’s a defining characteristic of populism- his party are going to take many seats from the two major parties and he doesn’t have any policies. They can say what they’re crudely against but he’s only going to tell his voters what their getting after they’ve committed. The scary thing is, there are enough thick gits out there to vote for them.

This reporter had a good go at trying to get Farage to say what would be better...https://inktank.fi/welsh-tv-reporter-shredding-nigel-farage-is-the-best-interview-youll-watch-today/
Here’s the only other challenging interview with the big F....

46972038535_6fa5968524_b.jpg

If nothing else he is showing up the woeful inadequacies of the other parties.

I can't participate in the poll because I don't agree with either option. The thing about remaining in the EU for me though, is where does that leave us with Cameron's referendum; a complete waste of time and money?

I can't participate in the poll because I don't agree with either option. The thing about remaining in the EU for me though, is where does that leave us with Cameron's referendum; a complete waste of time and money?
A Thread to Catalogue Political Ego Projects that were a Complete Waste of Time and Money

I’ll start with Mandelson’s Millennium Dome

I always thought the Iraq War was Blair's ego project. He saw how well Maggie's Falklands war resonated with the punters and he thought he can stake a claim to being a really great PM by winning a war like Churchill and Thatcher. The sad irony is that he would be held in much higher esteem had he not gone down that road at all. Tube, (as we say up here).

The sad irony is that he would be held in much higher esteem had he not gone down that road at all. Tube, (as we say up here).

Indeed; I thought that he was doing alright up to that point. Mind you, he's shown his true colours well and truly now.

Is that a reason for proceeding with it? That Cameron will have wasted money otherwise?

advertisement

Back