advertisement

The Brexit Parliament impasse

A way through the Brexit Parliament impasse...

• Government Position - May's Deal

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Labour Position - Agree a Customs Union with the EU

Votes: 7 63.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Brian

Eating fat, staying slim
As expected, cross-party negotiation between the Conservatives and Labour has broken down.

My understanding of the position of each is:

Conservative Position - May's Deal
Labour Position - Establish a Customs Union with the EU

Note: If you're not interested in either of these realistic choices, please ignore the thread.

Note: If you're not interested in either of these realistic choices, please ignore the thread.

Impossible to ignore just remaining, which for many of us is the only logical option given the ones you list will both clearly impact the country in a negative way. No way on earth I could endorse either position.

PS I am sure the EU elections will prove both ‘main’ parties to be rather out of touch with public feeling.

What’s your position Brian? You were an ardent leaver a couple of years ago. Have you changed your mind?

Impossible to ignore just remaining, which for many of us is the only logical option given the ones you list will both clearly impact the country in a negative way. No way on earth I could endorse either position.

PS I am sure the EU elections will prove both ‘main’ parties to be rather out of touch with public feeling.
Yes, I thought someone would say this. There are plenty of accusations around of people hoping for some leaving the EU fantasy deal, well these options are the reality, not some remain fantasy or leave fantasy.

I posted this poll expecting a low turn-out. :)

What’s your position Brian? You were an ardent leaver a couple of years ago. Have you changed your mind?
Just for clarity, I wasn't an ardent leaver, I had (and have) reservations about the direction of travel of the EU and I haven't changed my mind on that.

There are plenty of accusations around of people hoping for some leaving the EU fantasy deal, well these options are the reality, not some remain fantasy or leave fantasy.

The only options actually on the table are May’s three-time failed deal, crashing out on WTO rules, and revoking A50. That’s it. My guess, given the stunning incompetence of both main parties, is we will shortly arrive at the ‘crash out on WTO rules’. The question then being whether MPs, most of whom grasp this would send the economy into a death-spiral, would panic and revoke A50 or simply sit back and watch everything crash over the cliff-edge. As such I don’t see your poll options realistic as they contain neither of the most likely scenarios to my mind.

Obviously the options change if May does get her three-time dead unicorn back to life in June, but if not beyond that point we are crash and burn vs. revoke territory.

This describes me, so I shall respect the OP's wishes and not participate. Unless, as with so many such threads, it develops a life of its own. If it has reached page 6 by bedtime, and page 10 by the time I get home from work tomorrow, I reserve the right to reconsider but, for now at least, I'm out.

Those are two of many choices.

If you think there are only two choices, you are deluded....

Yes, I thought someone would say this. There are plenty of accusations around of people hoping for some leaving the EU fantasy deal, well these options are the reality, not some remaik

I posted this poll expecting a low turn-out. :)

That’s because you’re asking people to choose between two very similar compromise positions. These compromises are meaningless unless either can be shown to be better than that which it seeks to replace.

The question has to be between compromise and Remain.

To be viable, the compromise needs to demonstrate how is is a better option than Remain

As expected, cross-party negotiation between the Conservatives and Labour has broken down.

What makes you think "Establish a Customs Union with the EU" is a realistic option, at this stage in the proceedings?

I blame them French,

Impasse (n):from French impasse "impassable road; blind alley; impasse" (18c.), from assimilated form of in- "not, opposite of" (see in- (1)) + passe "a passing," from passer "to pass" (see pass (v.)). Figurative use (c. 1840) is perhaps from its use in whist. Supposedly coined by Voltaire as a euphemism for cul de sac.

That Voltaire, ‘e’s got a lot to answer for.

The only options actually on the table are May’s three-time failed deal, crashing out on WTO rules, and revoking A50. That’s it. My guess, given the stunning incompetence of both main parties, is we will shortly arrive at the ‘crash out on WTO rules’. The question then being whether MPs, most of whom grasp this would send the economy into a death-spiral, would panic and revoke A50 or simply sit back and watch everything crash over the cliff-edge. As such I don’t see your poll options realistic as they contain neither of the most likely scenarios to my mind.

Obviously the options change if May does get her three-time dead unicorn back to life in June, but if not beyond that point we are crash and burn vs. revoke territory.
Ok. I didn’t expect much support for the thread, as I said earlier, even though these are the two options being discussed by the two major parties.

Reason for the thread was I wondered if any of the remainers would opt for anything other than ignoring the referendum result. After all, remainers regularly speak of compromise because the referendum was 52/48 and you can’t ignore that 48%. Seems there is no compromise and the 52% should be ignored. Good show, people.

Happy for the thread to be deleted.

Cheers for now

Just for clarity, I wasn't an ardent leaver, I had (and have) reservations about the direction of travel of the EU and I haven't changed my mind on that.

Another left winger who voted for a a Tory Brexit?

They had a majority, so at the time, you knew they would be the ones to take us out of the EU. Tory Brexiteers want to create a low tax, low wage economy they want to get rid of the NHS. They want a US style economy. Did you not realise this?

And you voted to enable them do it. Without Brexit, there would have been an election next year which Labour could have won.

Stephen

Those are two of many choices.

If you think there are only two choices, you are deluded....
Hello,

I ddn’t say that so I guess I’m not deluded. What I said is they were the subject of discussion between the two major parties.

Cheers

Another left winger who voted for a a Tory Brexit?

They had a majority, so at the time, you knew they would be the ones to take us out of the EU. Tory Brexiteers want to create a low tax, low wage economy they want to get rid of the NHS. They want a US style economy. Did you not realise this?

And you voted to enable them do it. Without Brexit, there would have been an election next year which Labour could have won.

Stephen
Eh what?

Ok. I didn’t expect much support for the thread, as I said earlier, even though these are the two options being discussed by the two major parties.

Reason for the thread was I wondered if any of the remainers would opt for anything other than ignoring the referendum result. After all, remainers regularly speak of compromise because the referendum was 52/48 and you can’t ignore that 48%. Seems there is no compromise and the 52% should be ignored. Good show, people.

Happy for the thread to be deleted.

Cheers for now
It’s mostly Leavers who talk about compromise

Compromise was not on the Ballot paper.

It is this that makes the the current Leave position a position without mandate

Hello,

I ddn’t say that so I guess I’m not deluded. What I said is they were the subject of discussion between the two major parties.

Cheers
No, you are correct. You posted a poll with only 2 choices and described them as "realistic" choices. Silly me for thinking what I did....

advertisement

Back