advertisement

multi-function 2018/2019 football thread part II

Real Madrid are supposedly going to sign Eden Hazard for 86 Million Quid after the Europa League Final with the Arses. https://metro.co.uk/2019/05/13/real...as-europa-league-final-clash-arsenal-9518137/

Cheap gits. We want more than that.

It is a good job the Russian director bird bought Christian Pulisic from Dortmund in January. He will have to score more than eight goals though, which is his current total. They are obviously a bit slack in Germany.

Jack

Metro.....hmmm they normally over egg the pudding wrt prices of players, so if they say 86mil I'd reckon that was closer to 60-70mil.....anyway it is irrelevant, you cant spend it on players. Maybe stick it in the slush fund for rebuilding that dump you call a stadium?

But have you ever been?
Over the years, hundreds as I said, starting back in the 70's when it was a little different to today.

watched Wolves in the 4th division with a few thousand in an almost empty rotting stadium.

Fans get a bad press & as gintonic suggested, most of the chanting is pure pantomime here in the British leagues.

Can be a little more fierce abroad though. Italy being one place to avoid if you want a jolly old knees up down the pub afterwards. I would advise against it.

Would that be the same dump where the North London bottlers have only recorded one league victory in the last 29 years?

sigh.......trolls changing the subject. Personally I dont care who won or lost there it makes no odds to me. It's a dump, whose owner can't be bothered to make good......and yes I have been there.

City could be banned from playing in The Champions League for breaking financial rules. https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...-find-them-guilty-of-ffp-breach-a4141781.html

"There are fresh claims Uefa investigators will push for the stiffest of penalties over alleged breaches of Financial Fair Play by the Premier League champions."

If found guilty the ban will happen in 2020/21. Given that Pep's plonkers won't win The Champions League next year, it looks like his dream is dying. :D

Jack

Last edited:
Just reading the Guardian's review of the season https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...8-19-season-review-our-writers-best-and-worst. Not surprisingly, the seagulls don't get mentioned much, even in the flops section (Jahanbaksch) which is dominated by Man Utd.

However, in the Best Buy section Paul Doyle wrote

"Yves Bissouma. Feet of a dancer, mind of an inventor, spirit of a hero."

He's also got the best song (to the tune of Tequila, with a single word at the end "BISSOUMA!!!"), always makes me smile.

He was my favourite player this season, a breath of fresh air in all of the stench of dull defensiveness in the second half of the season.

Just reading the Guardian's review of the season https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...8-19-season-review-our-writers-best-and-worst. Not surprisingly, the seagulls don't get mentioned much, even in the flops section (Jahanbaksch) which is dominated by Man Utd.

However, in the Best Buy section Paul Doyle wrote

"Yves Bissouma. Feet of a dancer, mind of an inventor, spirit of a hero."

He's also got the best song (to the tune of Tequila, with a single word at the end "BISSOUMA!!!"), always makes me smile.

He was my favourite player this season, a breath of fresh air in all of the stench of dull defensiveness in the second half of the season.

Reading the bit by Nick Ames I’m struck by his “confession: at the time Liverpool paid £75m for Van Dijk this writer – having been present to cover all of his exceptionally rare rickets at Southampton – considered them barmy.”

First of all can anyone tell me what ‘exceptionally rare rickets’ is in football terms?

Second, presuming it’s some sort of criticism of VVD, the I’ve been to St Mary’s many a time and always thought VVD to be exceptional full stop and advocated that my first love, Chelsea, should’ve bought him when he became available.

Who is Nick Ames and what qualifies him to be a writer, and more specifically, a football writer?

Looks like City players haven't exactly covered themselves in glory on the plane home with the cup. No class singing about LFC fans getting battered in Kiev.https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/new...gq7ITq7ciUVtdAMdebsEDfhCFPI0#ICID=FB-Liv-main

I can only hope they don't see any Champions League action (after this).

"Ederson Moraes and Raheem Sterling were photographed posing on the jet with the Premier League trophy."

Classy of the Echo to bring Sterling into it whether he was singing or not. Talk about bitter.

Second, presuming it’s some sort of criticism of VVD, the I’ve been to St Mary’s many a time and always thought VVD to be exceptional full stop and advocated that my first love, Chelsea, should’ve bought him when he became available.
Didn't City refuse to pay the price for him? Nearly lost us the title, IMO!

The team who sound bitter are Man City which is frankly bizarre as is your Sterling 'observation'.
They didn't identify him as one of those who were singing yet still chose to name him 'posing on the jet with the Premier League trophy'. I guess you've missed his recent posts about treatment of certain players in the media and this is another case of it. There's nothing bizarre about it other than the Echo taking the opportunity to whip up more anti Sterling feeling with Liverpool fans.

That's my 'observation' on it.

Didn't City refuse to pay the price for him? Nearly lost us the title, IMO!

He's been superb this season other than when he was caught out by an on form Messi in Barcelona - he'd walk into any team right now. I've met him twice recently and he's a bloody nice bloke too. Liverpool are going to be challengers for a good while with him at the back.

Roll on the next season which will almost certainly involve the same teams going for the title and every one else ducking and diving to avoid relegation.

Who will be the first manager for the chop next season?

Sorry for football if Hazard leaves Chelsea what a great player... even though some will be pleased but I cannot be arsed with all the stupid rivalry stuff, I have seen many superb players..Matthews,Finney, Greaves, Charlton, Best, Silva etc etc but he is skilled, balanced, kicked every game and is so consistent over a full season.

Signs for Palace on page 64!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They didn't identify him as one of those who were singing yet still chose to name him 'posing on the jet with the Premier League trophy'. I guess you've missed his recent posts about treatment of certain players in the media and this is another case of it. There's nothing bizarre about it other than the Echo taking the opportunity to whip up more anti Sterling feeling with Liverpool fans.

That's my 'observation' on it.
Ahem.

Who will be the first manager for the chop next season?

Chelsea are ruthless with managers. I hope Sarri goes in the summer, if Chelsea can find a good replacement. Having said that, we've finished third in the PL, and could win the Europa Cup, so he might be kept on for some more excruciating months.

Sarri is in the running for being the worst dressed, and most badly shaven, Chelsea manager of all time.

Jack

Chelsea are ruthless with managers. I hope Sarri goes in the summer, if Chelsea can find a good replacement.
Chelsea have had an ok season but the style of football is painful to watch.
It's worth getting rid of Sarri just to get Kante back in his correct position - Jorginho (dare I say it) seems to have improved a bit so I would give him the benefit of the doubt for next season.
Alonso, Higuain, Kovacic & Drinkwater all need dumping with players currently on loan replacing them in the squad.
If we can't buy anyone we won't be wasting any money so we can afford to keep Hazard for another season and let him go for free next summer (if he still wants to).

Chelsea are ruthless with managers. I hope Sarri goes in the summer, if Chelsea can find a good replacement. Having said that, we've finished third in the PL, and could win the Europa Cup, so he might be kept on for some more excruciating months.

Sarri is in the running for being the worst dressed, and most badly shaven, Chelsea manager of all time.

Jack
Avram Grant?

advertisement

Back