advertisement

Speaker cable for simple system

Now I think about it, they may have been stranded, rather than single core. The cables are still around, I gave them to a friend along with the DMS Briks, when we went “Aktiv”with PMS’s.

I find solid core sounds 'harder' than stranded, but it's system dependent and nearly free, so if one is trying to be economical and green, recycling some old twin and earth of a decent thickness is as good as it gets. I'm not saying it sounds perfect, but that wasn't the OP's point methinks.

I have been trying to give the stiff NAC cable away for free for a year in the charity section....

I was Recently given some flat car ofc speaker cable and will be fitting Linn speaker plugs on it for a Classik.

:)Im using it experimentally and more as a favour to the earnest young man telling me the virtues of the sub specifications he has just fitted in his Beemer - this flat car wire is surplus to his needs but flat wire)

Ideally fitted in behind skirting boards is the long term aim... this car stuff ...I wonder what it will sound like... Id say 35 strand but very low profile & very flexible.

Another vote for K20. Great rhythm and timing with Naim Nait. Great value also.

Linn Knekt connectors are very good but expensive.

I also seem to recall NAC A4 and K20 are slightly different - is the Linn cable sheathing more flexible or something like that?

I didn’t realise that Linn K20 had great rhythm and timing.
Surely it just connects the amplifier to the speakers...

Isn’t Witch Hat N2 basically specifically designed to be the same as A5, but flexible and half the price?

Sounds like it could be appropriate.

I think someone's treading into the best worn pathway in HiFi forum life here...
Thought 1. Properly specified OFC stranded, well made with carefully connected plugs and with a jacket that protects from any interference (a simple matter if one understands the science) is all you need. It costs somewhere about £5 a meter and is widely available. You can pay more for nice colours, or, for very long runs, a bit more thickness if you want.
Thought 2. There's more to science than we know and sometimes, a cable maker's new ideas produce a cable that passes the pure signal from the cable above, 'better'. For some, this is clearly audible and if you can't hear these changes, then you are daft.

Two other things occur to me.
The Placebo effect, likely to be responsible for 99.9% of the claims in thought 2, also has a reverse side. IF you can be persuaded to believe a non-existent change (which, as medicine proves, you can) then there must also exist the oither side of that coin. One can persuade oneself NOT to hear any changes there may be, persuading oneself that such things cannot exist.
There's no accounting for taste.

Cable threads summary.
Spend what you want, as long as you know that the above may well be true.

Must admit I thought folks were just joking around a couple of weeks ago when I first came across members saying that cables make no difference to the sound.

Makes me wonder why they bother with Hi-Fi if they can't hear any benefit. I've purchased official manufacturer upgrades in the past that have made less difference - not saying they were not worth it.

Anyway, not gonna comment further as it very much seems like wasted effort.

I would appreciate it if those members would stop spamming threads like this one though.

Must admit I thought folks were just joking around a couple of weeks ago when I first came across members saying that cables make no difference to the sound.

That's nothing. I've had arguments with people who insisted that all CD players and DACs sound the same, all amplifiers sound the same and even all speakers sound the same if equalised so that the frequency response is the same.

Two pages.... When a brief "all cables thick enough and not too long will of course sound the same and do a good job so just use 79 strand or twin and earth etc and keep it short" would have done...

advertisement

Back