advertisement

Speaker cable for simple system

FISBEY

pfm Member
Following on from a recent thread.

I now have an Audiolab 8000a, Rotel RCD 965 and some Tannoy M20's as a trial for a simple system.

I currently use Naim amps, CD, interconnects and speaker cable.

I have a Van Damme rca interconnect (pretty cheap) on the way.

Would the NACA5 be OK or is it overkill?

A cheaper alternative would be good.

Any suggestions most appreciated.

If you can find some used NACA4 it usually goes for much less than A5 and it's still pretty good (and easier to use with greater flexibility).
I think Linn still sell their equivalent (LK20?) at a realistic price.

If you believe in cables, then I cannot understand how any cable can be 'too good' for a system. If good cables make things sound better, isn't this what you want?
If you feel that the spirit of a cheap system is demanding a cheap cable, buy some good copper mains cable, strip out the earth and use what's left...it's pennies and I think you may be interested to find that it sounds just like
music.

As above.

Make sure your cables are well terminated. Any connector will do as long as it's a firm fit in the socket and the soldering is good. I bought my current cables readymade over ten years ago (Audioquest 14 AWG). They're nicely done, and I've had no problems with them.

Try wet string:)
Almost any 2.5mm2 copper flexible cable will be good enough, the point about good soldering and good socket fit above is crucial.

I like NACA5.It is better than NACA4 but it's not cheap. A4 is identical to the cables sold by Linn, Exposure, Mission and several others at the time and to be honest, most heavy multi-strand copper cables sound much the same.

I have a few rolls of heavy copper speaker cable here if you'd like me to make you some leads up? I also have very good but cheap plugs. PM is you're interested.

I'm a fan of Linn LK20; it's quite low price and sounds pretty good to me. It is, as was previously mentioned, a copy of Naim's NACA4.

That's my recollection also.
JV claimed they'd sued the cable manufacturer for selling Linn a "copy" of the cable Naim had designed (as if!) and the manufacturer settled out of court with a promise not to sell the cable to other hi fi companies.
Funny Linn still sell it!

I like NACA5.It is better than NACA4 but it's not cheap. A4 is identical to the cables sold by Linn, Exposure, Mission and several others at the time and to be honest, most heavy multi-strand copper cables sound much the same.

I have a few rolls of heavy copper speaker cable here if you'd like me to make you some leads up? I also have very good but cheap plugs. PM is you're interested.

They’re not the same.

Another vote for K20. Great rhythm and timing with Naim Nait. Great value also.

Linn Knekt connectors are very good but expensive.

I also seem to recall NAC A4 and K20 are slightly different - is the Linn cable sheathing more flexible or something like that?

I also seem to recall NAC A4 and K20 are slightly different - is the Linn cable sheathing more flexible or something like that?

Well, one is black and says 'Naim' on it. The other white with 'Linn' branding so no, they are not identical. I've had the Linn, Naim, Exposure and some other version of this cable in the house at the same time, I think they might still be here somewhere, and in practice I assure you that they all sound the same.

For my main system I still use A5 because it sounds better and I put it under the floor so would be a mare to change ;0)

If you believe in cables, then I cannot understand how any cable can be 'too good' for a system. If good cables make things sound better, isn't this what you want?
If you feel that the spirit of a cheap system is demanding a cheap cable, buy some good copper mains cable, strip out the earth and use what's left...it's pennies and I think you may be interested to find that it sounds just like
music.

Interestingly, about a quarter of a century ago... we contemplated changing our then living room around, and being somewhat short of cash at the time, we turned 5 metres of NACA4 into 10 metres of B&Q’s finest and heaviest mains cable (LP12 & Meridian amp driving Briks), just to see what would happen.

It lasted a week......we never did change the room around.

advertisement

Back