advertisement

Speaker cable for simple system

You have to be careful with the older Naim amps as the speaker cable has been designed as part of the Zobel network and needs to supply sufficient capacitance other wise the output stage goes into HF oscillation and runs hot. This situation has been known to blow tweeters amongst other things.

However before Naim sold NACA4/5 they used to advise something like RS components 79 strand wire loosely twisted (3 turns per meter).

Naim designed the Zobel network in this way as from the amplifier view point the speaker cable 'disappears' and the output stage is directly connected to the loudspeaker.

Cheers,

DV

So you are of the opinion that all cables sound the same?

No. I Know for a fact that they do. One cannot hold an opinion on the laws of physics.

This is of course provided that they are of similar resistance. Bell wire or similarly thin cable has excessive resistance and will therefore sound different to a suitably thick cable.

I have on more than one occasion had to point out to cable foo meisters that they have a blown tweeter of that their speakers are out of phase, which kind of puts paid to their claims of hearing huge differences between cables!

You have to be careful with the older Naim amps as the speaker cable has been designed as part of the Zobel network and needs to supply sufficient capacitance other wise the output stage goes into HF oscillation and runs hot. This situation has been known to blow tweeters amongst other things.

However before Naim sold NACA4/5 they used to advise something like RS components 79 strand wire loosely twisted (3 turns per meter).

Naim designed the Zobel network in this way as from the amplifier view point the speaker cable 'disappears' and the output stage is directly connected to the loudspeaker.

Cheers,

DV

They have normal Zobel networks and this oscillatory tendency is plain diabolically bad engineering.
No doubt works wonders for cable sales though!
They need a damped inductor at the output, as fitted to most other amplifiers and sometimes called a Thiel network. They attempt to get round it by having a 0.22R resistor at the output, which is similar to having maybe 10M of cable permanently in line and reduces damping factor to about 16 with a 4R speaker load. The Avondale amps (based on Naim) do use this output network and therefore don't suffer from this issue.

No. I Know for a fact that they do. One cannot hold an opinion on the laws of physics.

I agree that cables of similar construction tend to sound similar. I have however heard plenty of cables that differed from each other in sound quite a bit.

Over the years I've heard many opinions based on measurement. I've always found the most dogmatic to be those with electronics understanding who cannot accept that what you see on a meter and what you hear might be different. Perhaps the worst was a very aggressive guy on an electronics forum who insisted that all CD players sound the same, because it's digital.

The laws of physics do not change, that is true, but is it not the height of arrogance to think we fully understand them? Today we know that there are sound technical reasons why CD players do not all sound the same, why digital SPDIF cables do not sound the same. Some people knew they sounded different a long time ago. Some other people laughed at them and it took a while for the technical understanding of what was going on to catch up and prove who was right.

If someone wants to think all CD players, cables, amplifiers or whatever sound the same that's his opinion, he's free to think what he wants. I don't think they do, and I never will.

Well Mr pig, that's fine...there are a great many people here who ARE engineers, have degrees in electronics, metalurgy, electronic engineering etc etc, and I am interested enough in stuff to listen to what they have to say on the important principle that one is never too old to stop learning (and, that carries the rider that a lot of what you think you know now may well be wrong, which, ofc, applies to this post too).30 years back I worked in a HiFi shop, lived and breathed HiFi, LOVED cables and spent time and money swapping them about, hearing quite unsubtle changes, which I still do sometimes. Arkless' info re WHY Naim amps need a certain type of cable is totally apt for this discussion, but before things became that complex, cable makers were few and far between. The BBC, for 1 example, was using studio cables that were the best that the well respected BBC engineers could suggest...sounded fabulous too, but today are apparently barely fit for purpose according to some. Then we had the Peter Belt era, when HiFi entered the mud age of gulling the rich...and lo, cables became, multi, silver, stranded, cotton thin, multi shielded and even (until one dogged reviewer opened 'the box' to find nought but glue) added to with 'magic' bits and pieces that smoothed, enhanced, lined up, and whatever you liked, the sound to make everything better.

The point?

The point is that yes, one can quite easily design an amp that needs a certain type of cable to work well...and it's possible to take a perfectly good stranded cable of OFC and change the sound...you can't make it better really...I mean it already is tested to pass 99.9% of the input signal without degredation, and those who shout that 0.1% is a HUGE change need to reconsider their perspective a tad, but yes, you CAN change the signal...alter the tone curve? Certainly. Brighten the top sir? Yup. Lift the presence region a tad? Possibly yes.
So there ARE cables that sound different. Yes. But is there a cable that does a better job than passing 99.9% of what you put in, unchanged, to the speakers, than stranded pure OFC does? No. Not in my world, and,
cables are not tone controls. If you need tone controls buy an amp with some...it'll do a much better job.

I agree that cables of similar construction tend to sound similar. I have however heard plenty of cables that differed from each other in sound
If someone wants to think all CD players, cables, amplifiers or whatever sound the same that's his opinion, he's free to think what he wants. I don't think they do, and I never will.
You might when you are 80!

So there ARE cables that sound different. Yes. But is there a cable that does a better job than passing 99.9% of what you put in, unchanged, to the speakers, than stranded pure OFC does? No. Not in my world...

I tend to agree. I've tried a lot of cables and usually find that good old multi-stranded copper is what I like the sound of the most. I also never got the notion that a cable had to be expensive. How does that work? I am aware that interconnects exist that cost many thousands of pounds. What I cannot figure out is what the manufacturer can possibly be using or doing that justifies that price. I see them as the Hi-fi equivalent of a ten-grand handbag.

A while I had four different SPDIF cables here ranging in price from cheapo eBay video cable to a few hundred pounds worth of all the right components. Did they sound different? Yes, they did but the one I ended up keeping in place was the cheapo one. It literally cost about three quid delivered. I still have two of the others lying in the corner. If they were better I'd be using them. I don't care about reputation or cost, only what something actually does.

If you do you're in the wrong universe where the laws of physics as we know them don't apply!

Cables can and do sound different though. Sometimes easily measurable too. This is the problem when people either side of these debates make statements like cable sound the same.

I haven’t measured huge amounts of them, but know for a fact some expensive ones have massively different resistance and capacitance values.

Part of the problem too with the cable market is most engineers or people who actually understand what excessive values either way can do to change the sound don’t waste their time on expensive cables. The ones who don’t know what cables do to alter the sound tend to be the ones these are aimed at. I’ve been on both sides of this and had my fair share of them before actually looking into how changes are caused. And swapped very expensive cables for good quality studio grade, and surprised by enough the system still sounds good...

It would be good if someone with enough knowledge did real tests on the cables from the big brands many buy into

Well Mr pig, that's fine...there are a great many people here who ARE engineers, have degrees in electronics, metalurgy, electronic engineering etc etc, and I am interested enough in stuff to listen to what they have to say on the important principle that one is never too old to stop learning (and, that carries the rider that a lot of what you think you know now may well be wrong, which, ofc, applies to this post too).30 years back I worked in a HiFi shop, lived and breathed HiFi, LOVED cables and spent time and money swapping them about, hearing quite unsubtle changes, which I still do sometimes. Arkless' info re WHY Naim amps need a certain type of cable is totally apt for this discussion, but before things became that complex, cable makers were few and far between. The BBC, for 1 example, was using studio cables that were the best that the well respected BBC engineers could suggest...sounded fabulous too, but today are apparently barely fit for purpose according to some. Then we had the Peter Belt era, when HiFi entered the mud age of gulling the rich...and lo, cables became, multi, silver, stranded, cotton thin, multi shielded and even (until one dogged reviewer opened 'the box' to find nought but glue) added to with 'magic' bits and pieces that smoothed, enhanced, lined up, and whatever you liked, the sound to make everything better.

The point?

The point is that yes, one can quite easily design an amp that needs a certain type of cable to work well...and it's possible to take a perfectly good stranded cable of OFC and change the sound...you can't make it better really...I mean it already is tested to pass 99.9% of the input signal without degredation, and those who shout that 0.1% is a HUGE change need to reconsider their perspective a tad, but yes, you CAN change the signal...alter the tone curve? Certainly. Brighten the top sir? Yup. Lift the presence region a tad? Possibly yes.
So there ARE cables that sound different. Yes. But is there a cable that does a better job than passing 99.9% of what you put in, unchanged, to the speakers, than stranded pure OFC does? No. Not in my world, and,
cables are not tone controls. If you need tone controls buy an amp with some...it'll do a much better job.

It is simply not possible for a cable to do this. To alter the amount of bass or treble or boost or cut the mid requires filter circuitry.... a length of cable is not a filter and cannot have any effect on this.

Cables can and do sound different though. Sometimes easily measurable too. This is the problem when people either side of these debates make statements like cable sound the same.

I haven’t measured huge amounts of them, but know for a fact some expensive ones have massively different resistance and capacitance values.

Part of the problem too with the cable market is most engineers or people who actually understand what excessive values either way can do to change the sound don’t waste their time on expensive cables. The ones who don’t know what cables do to alter the sound tend to be the ones these are aimed at. I’ve been on both sides of this and had my fair share of them before actually looking into how changes are caused. And swapped very expensive cables for good quality studio grade, and surprised by enough the system still sounds good...

It would be good if someone with enough knowledge did real tests on the cables from the big brands many buy into

Every thing you say is I'm afraid wrong. All measurements will show cables to have no effect until you get to frequencies way higher than even a bat can hear (like 10 x higher!). Only resistance will have any effect at audio frequencies and that is easily dealt with by using reasonably thick cable.

I could go into great detail on all this but won't bother as I realise I'll be wasting my time...

Some proper A/B/X double blind tests would soon show there to be no differences.

It is simply not possible for a cable to do this. To alter the amount of bass or treble or boost or cut the mid requires filter circuitry...

Well I've heard cables that sounded thin and bright so I guess I disagree.

I also don't think that blind tests work. Again, seems impeccably scientific but I think they are flawed. I've done them myself and the results are always meaningless.

Every thing you say is I'm afraid wrong. All measurements will show cables to have no effect until you get to frequencies way higher than even a bat can hear (like 10 x higher!). Only resistance will have any effect at audio frequencies and that is easily dealt with by using reasonably thick cable.

I could go into great detail on all this but won't bother as I realise I'll be wasting my time...

Some proper A/B/X double blind tests would soon show there to be no differences.

I’m not saying these things aren’t easily dealt with with a reasonably well made cable. But there are differences. If a cable is sounding different to one that just does the job properly then for me it means it’s worse. And certainly doesn’t justify sticking an extra couple of 0’s on the cost

As for resistance, it reminds me of what a naim employee told me when discussing their active setups and super lumina. The benefit of this cable was that its “cheaper” than some others because you can mix and match the lengths. Ie have 2x3m cables for one speaker, and 2x6m cables for the further one. “Saving” 6m of cable cost, as there are resistors built into the little boxes at the end of it, so they all performed the same, no matter what length you bought...

If I find some of the articles of measured differences between different resistance and capacitance cables I’ll post it up

Well I've heard cables that sounded thin and bright so I guess I disagree.

I also don't think that blind tests work. Again, seems impeccably scientific but I think they are flawed. I've done them myself and the results are always meaningless.

You can disagree all you like but it's simply impossible for cables to boost or cut any part of the frequency range so you are simply wrong.

EVERYTHING to do with cables effecting sound, beyond where there is a simple explanation such as it is too thin (this is the only thing that has any effect) is down to expectation bias.

Blind testing is the gold standard for all things in which there can be any subjective effect. I guarantee you will not be able to tell any difference under controlled conditions and this is because there is no difference.

I’m not saying these things aren’t easily dealt with with a reasonably well made cable. But there are differences. If a cable is sounding different to one that just does the job properly then for me it means it’s worse. And certainly doesn’t justify sticking an extra couple of 0’s on the cost

As for resistance, it reminds me of what a naim employee told me when discussing their active setups and super lumina. The benefit of this cable was that its “cheaper” than some others because you can mix and match the lengths. Ie have 2x3m cables for one speaker, and 2x6m cables for the further one. “Saving” 6m of cable cost, as there are resistors built into the little boxes at the end of it, so they all performed the same, no matter what length you bought...

If I find some of the articles of measured differences between different resistance and capacitance cables I’ll post it up

There are no differences. See my avatar? That's just a section of my own workbench.. there is more to both the left and right and further equipment in store for when it's needed. If I need anything beyond that for something really obscure I have been known to design and build the test gear required... I AM the professional engineer, of a lifetimes experience, and who owns all the equipment required to measure cables, whose opinion one may call on... so spare us all the "opinions" of those trying to sell you cables by using pseudo science.... and who probably have a degree in "politics and modern history" or some such that "qualified" them to be advertising copy writers, marketing consultants, or hi fi reviewers...

Before bowing out of this thread on the grounds of "never try and teach a pig to sing. It will waste your time and annoy the pig", I'll just point out that whilst there can surely be no simpler matter in all of electronics than a length of wire... no circuitry.. just a piece of wire... where is all the debate on constant current loading V bootstrapping? or zero negative feedback V optimally applied negative feedback? ie stuff that makes real differences and is very important... Well it's largely restricted to those who have real technical knowledge of those areas of electronics pertaining to the design of hi fi equipment... Strange then that when we come to a simple piece of wire everyone's an expert...

There are no differences. See my avatar? That's just a section of my own workbench.. there is more to both the left and right and further equipment in store for when it's needed. If I need anything beyond that for something really obscure I have been known to design and build the test gear required... I AM the professional engineer, of a lifetimes experience, and who owns all the equipment required to measure cables, whose opinion one may call on... so spare us all the "opinions" of those trying to sell you cables by using pseudo science.... and who probably have a degree in "politics and modern history" or some such that "qualified" them to be advertising copy writers, marketing consultants, or hi fi reviewers...

Before bowing out of this thread on the grounds of "never try and teach a pig to sing. It will waste your time and annoy the pig", I'll just point out that whilst there can surely be no simpler matter in all of electronics than a length of wire... no circuitry.. just a piece of wire... where is all the debate on constant current loading V bootstrapping? or zero negative feedback V optimally applied negative feedback? ie stuff that makes real differences and is very important... Well it's largely restricted to those who have real technical knowledge of those areas of electronics pertaining to the design of hi fi equipment... Strange then that when we come to a simple piece of wire everyone's an expert...

One dosent need to be an expert, just have ears and an open mind devoid of any old fashioned, and on occasion , arrogant belief structure, that 'science' can not evolve and that not everything can be measured on the current, and dated 'measurement systems'.

If we all lived and believed like that throughout history, we would still be using horse and cart, (but I think they do still do that in the North no?)

Exposure Electronics goes for not a lot when it comes up 2nd hand.

I have some NACA4 and NACA5 for sale too !

where is all the debate on constant current loading V bootstrapping? or zero negative feedback...

But, there is debate. Who says there isn't? In all your gazillion years of experience you must be aware that there are electronic engineers who maintain that all amplifiers sound the same? I have seen and debated these people so I can't accept that you are unaware of them? Like you, they have technical qualifications but they disagree with you on whether or not these aspects of design make any difference. So who's right? The engineer with the most tools and the best lab coat? You're all electronic engineers but some of you have to be wrong, right? And blind testing 'proves' you are correct? But hang on, blind testing also 'proves' that Mr All Amps Sound The Same is right too! So what way do you want to go? Can't have your cake and eat it.

Many early engineers held that a correctly designed valve amp and transistor amp would sound the same. They were wrong, but why did they think that? Because they thought that what they could measure at that time was all there was to know. Their knowledge was lacking and it still is. If the theory behind Hi-Fi design was as well understood as they suggested there would be no need to test anything. You could build your kit straight from the plans, knowing what it would sound like. But of course Hi-Fi manufactures don't do that. They build prototypes, listen to them and change stuff. Why? Because the paper specifications cannot tell you everything there is to know about how a piece of Hi-Fi equipment will perform.

Ah, but the blind test! The gold standard eh? The silver bullet to end all argument, silence these foolish audiophiles. Let's talk about that then? On the face of it blind tests look unquestionable but the results often sit ill with many of us. There is a reason for that. If you start to pick apart the actual mechanics of ABX blind testing you'll find a house of cards which can be unreliable at best and fraud at worst.

The word 'test' certainly sounds scientific but is it? Firstly, it is not an objective test as proponents claim! It is still only a subjective test. The subjects under 'test' are the same human beings who claim to hear differences under normal listening conditions. The assertion is that human beings who get it wrong normally will get it right under ABX test conditions. Does this make any sense? It is disingenuous to suggest that because the listeners have been incorporated in some specific procedure that you have removed all possibility of human error. Sighted test are slammed because the conditions of the tests mean that the listener is likely to be biased towards hearing differences. Fair enough. Yet surely in the methodology of the blind test the listener could equally be misled into erroneously thinking there are no differences? If people can get it wrong in one way surely they are equally fallible the other? I have yet to see anyone who supports ABX testing admit this possibility, despite the fact it's pretty reasonable and logical.

The only examples of 'scientific' ABX tests I've seen details of have been ridiculously simplistic. A thirty-second blip of one piece of music. The testing methodology more or less dictates that short sections of music are used. Yet the ABX zealots claim this thirty-seconds carries more weight than months or years of real world use covering all types of music and listening volumes. Thirty seconds is all it takes for them to be correct about their conclusions yet we are deluded, every day of our whole lives! What is illogical in saying that more exposure to a subject allows more information to be gathered?

Secondly, we don't even listen to things in the same way under test conditions. This is a scientific fact as brain scans show that different parts of the brain are working depending on whether we're concentrating, trying to hear differences, or just relaxing. My experience certainly supports that. I can recall countless instances were I've picked up nuances or details in music I thought I knew very well during relaxed casual listening, maybe even background listening. If the methodology of the short, blind test was correct then this would not happen, as all relevant information would be assimilated on the first listen or two. If it is possible to miss significant musical information on the first, second or tenth listen then surely it must be possible to miss slight tonal, resolution or dynamic differences on a thirty-second test?

And the differences often are slight. How many times have you played upgrades or changes in your Hi-Fi system to family members or friends uninterested in Hi-Fi who have said that they could not tell the difference? Everything is relative and in Hi-Fi we often deal with changes that are relatively small. We stack up these small changes to create larger shifts in performance. For most 'normal' people though these small differences are not significant, especially in the context of the overall level of performance of the system as a whole.

So, moving on to the methodology of the test.

Let's say I set up a large TV screen and flashed a picture on to the screen for thirty seconds, say a street scene. An open market in a town square, lots of people milling around, maybe some birds passing in the clear blue sky, could be anything but you get the idea. Thirty seconds, screen goes blank.

Next, I flash up another image, also thirty seconds, and it's the same scene. Same birds, same grave-dodgers feeding them, yada yada, and I ask you what differences you've seen? You reply 'None. They were the same picture'.

In the short time you had to look at the image you had just enough time to get the big picture. On the macro level they look identical but you did not have the time to see that there was different fruit on one of the stalls, the old guy on the bench had a hat on or any number of variations between the two images. One image could have been slightly sharper than the other but in thirty seconds, could you be sure of that?

And here's the kicker. Let's say that in the second image you think you spot a guy standing by a lamppost who was not in the first image. You cannot be sure that he wasn't in the first image or that you just didn't notice him!

But before you get your head around that it's gone and I've flashed the image up again, but is it the first one or the second one? I'm not telling you, and in your mind the images are now overlapped and blurred together. So are they the same or not? Well yes, on a macro level but beyond that, you can't be sure but too late, we move on to another picture and the whole confusing cycle starts again and before long you're loosing all perspective and probably the will to live!

Isn't it interesting the way that things that on the face of it might be considered gross shortcomings in the test methodology are twisted around to confer advantage instead? Logic would suggest that the longer one has to examine one's subject the more likely it is that you'll gather the highest possible amount of information and draw a more accurate conclusion. Instead, test participants are typically snow-blinded with snippets of sound repeated over and over again. I've done blind tests, this is exactly what happens.

Is there evidence that blind tests do not work? Yeah, there is. Here is a famous example of the failure of blind testing explained by Robert Hartley in The Absolute Sound Issue 183:

"Every few years, the results of some blind listening test are announced that purportedly “prove” an absurd conclusion. These tests, ironically, say more about the flaws inherent in blind listening tests than about the phenomena in question.

The latest in this long history is a double-blind test that, the authors conclude, demonstrates that 44.1kHz/16-bit digital audio is indistinguishable from high-resolution digital. Note the word “indistinguishable.” The authors aren’t saying that high-res digital might sound a little different from Red Book CD but is no better. Or that high-res digital is only slightly better and not worth the additional cost. Rather, they reached the rather startling conclusion that CD-quality audio sounds exactly the same as 96kHz/24-bit PCM and DSD, the encoding scheme used in SACD. That is, under double-blind test conditions, 60 expert listeners over 554 trials couldn’t hear any differences between CD, SACD, and 96/24. The study was published in the September, 2007 Journal of the Audio Engineering Society."

This one's a cracker!

"This test was conducted by Swedish Radio (analogous to the BBC) to decide whether one of the low-bit-rate codecs under consideration by the European Broadcast Union was good enough to replace FM broadcasting in Europe.

Swedish Radio developed an elaborate listening methodology called “double-blind, triple-stimulus, hidden-reference.” A “subject” (listener) would hear three “objects” (musical presentations); presentation A was always the unprocessed signal, with the listener required to identify if presentation B or C had been processed through the codec.

The test involved 60 “expert” listeners spanning 20,000 evaluations over a period of two years. Swedish Radio announced in 1991 that it had narrowed the field to two codecs, and that “both codecs have now reached a level of performance where they fulfill the EBU requirements for a distribution codec.” In other words, Swedish Radio said the codec was good enough to replace analog FM broadcasts in Europe. This decision was based on data gathered during the 20,000 “double-blind, triple-stimulus, hidden-reference” listening trials. (The listening-test methodology and statistical analysis are documented in detail in “Subjective Assessments on Low Bit-Rate Audio Codecs,” by C. Grewin and T. Rydén, published in the proceedings of the 10th International Audio Engineering Society Conference, “Images of Audio.”)

After announcing its decision, Swedish Radio sent a tape of music processed by the selected codec to the late Bart Locanthi, an acknowledged expert in digital audio and chairman of an ad hoc committee formed to independently evaluate low-bit rate codecs. Using the same non-blind observational-listening techniques that audiophiles routinely use to evaluate sound quality, Locanthi instantly identified an artifact of the codec. After Locanthi informed Swedish Radio of the artifact (an idle tone at 1.5kHz), listeners at Swedish Radio also instantly heard the distortion. (Locanthi’s account of the episode is documented in an audio recording played at workshop on low-bit-rate codecs at the 91st AES convention.)

How is it possible that a single listener, using non-blind observational listening techniques, was able to discover—in less than ten minutes—a distortion that escaped the scrutiny of 60 expert listeners, 20,000 trials conducted over a two-year period, and elaborate “double-blind, triple-stimulus, hidden-reference” methodology, and sophisticated statistical analysis?"

Another notable example is the blind listening test conducted by Stereo Review that concluded that a pair of Mark Levinson monoblocks, an output-transformerless tubed amplifier, and a $220 Pioneer receiver were all sonically identical. (“Do All Amplifiers Sound the Same?” published in the January, 1987 issue.)

I contend that such results are an indictment of blind listening tests in general because of the patently absurd conclusions to which they lead. Anyway, I need to go away from the computer and actually do something! ;0)

In short Mr Pig, you know that cables make a difference and no test on Earth will convince you otherwise.

advertisement

Back