advertisement

Would you vote for the Soubry/Umunna party?

Wonder how many they've got. Ryan has something of the barrel bottom about her. From the sounds of it only the truly washed up are likely to be tempted:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/alexwickham/30-mps-labour-independent-group

The fundamental divide between the Labour splitters is over the new party that will emerge, the sources said. Several MPs including Chris Leslie and ringleader Chuka Umunna hope to be at the forefront of a new “centrist” party modelled on Angela Merkel’s Christian Democratic Union and Emmanuel Macron’s En Marche.

The Leslie-Umunna faction is being challenged by a rival splinter group led by a number of former advisers to Tony Blair, including his former chief of staff Jonathan Powell and speechwriter Philip Collins, who have been holding meetings with the aim of forming their own party.

According to several sources familiar with the workings of the two groups, there have been clashes over personality and image. The Leslie-Umunna faction has alienated MPs because of the determination of its two figureheads to be the faces of the new party, a direction opposed by others thinking of quitting Labour, according to one source.

A second source said the Powell initiative, which has been linked to Countdown presenter Rachel Riley and Harry Potter author JK Rowling, has been ridiculed as “Cool Britannia 2019”, a reference to New Labour’s wooing of celebrities in the nineties.

Who would have thought that throwing money and attention at a group of narcissists with no ideas and nothing in common would turn out like this? It's like a reality TV show. Really depressing spectacle. As if people's opinion of politicians wasn't low enough.

Number eight.

Come on, stand up - out!

More of these cowards will go over the next week or so, all choreographed just like the pathetic shadow cabinet resignations we saw after the election of Corbyn.

If this is still happening after the brexit vote, May will call an election and win - and she'll win thanks to these bast**rds. It's the 80s SDP all over again. And again the right will blame 'left wing extremism' for the Tory win when in fact it's the Labour right split killing the vote.
Truth is, this shower would prefer a Tory government.

If anyone thinks this isn't a highly coordinated attack by vested interests petrified by the prospect of a left government they must be pretty dim.

On the plus side, this could well be the time to thoroughly cleanse the Party of these liberals since the membership are having none of the appeasement currently on display by the leadership.

You guys kill me. You never say why you are so interested in the Labour Party when you totally reject democratic politics. The fact is you see Corbyn as much a dispensible class traitor as Theresa May.

Actually, that poll isn't too bad given the anti-Labour media shitstorm currently in play. A 6 point Tory lead really ins't great, and with a number of so called centrist parties on the scene, plus a resurgent UKIP and/or new Farage party (he's registered it in readiness) it would be interesting to see actual results.
If the
You guys kill me. You never say why you are so interested in the Labour Party when you totally reject democratic politics. The fact is you see Corbyn as much a dispensible class traitor as Theresa May.

Democracy - you must be joking!
Four years of backroom plotting and scheming to depose the (twice) elected party leader. Don't talk to me about democracy because you haven't a clue. Interesting also that this crew also want to stop brexit despite the referendum result - yeah, what a great bunch of democrats!

I really like and admire Jeremy Corbyn. Push comes to shove he'd be on the right side.
The amount of shit that man has to tolerate on a daily bass would have destroyed most leaders long ago.

This current episode is at least ridding the Party of Blairites.

It amazes me that the press and the BBC are all so willing to propagate the lies and the general description of Corbyn as 'extremist'..'anti-semitic' etc... but for some odd reason do not see the extremism in Rees-Mogg, De Pfeffell, et.al. and indeed continue to platform them totally uncritically.

A new kind of politics:

https://tribunemag.co.uk/2019/02/ye...l1BPAQyKJMjv2hLpV41aBDh-NtKUmdePMvHmsZAn5HqbE

As far as I can tell it involves taking donations from multi-millionares to preserve the status-quo.

PS: While trying to fact-check the above article I was surprised to discover that Blue Labour is still a "thing": https://www.bluelabour.org/.

And what a thing it is: it's like UKIP, before Batten's bunch twigged that proper far-right racism a-la-Yaxley-Lennon is where the real action is.

My thoughts FWIW

1) The bizarre paranoia of the left takes me back to my activist student days. Everything is always a plot! There are always secret enemies!

2) Corbyn's base will blame everything on this split. Forever. Whilst continuing to deny all fault on their and his part.

3) I am confused about whether we on the left should be calling for a GE as Corbyn has been urging for months or whether May is going to call a snap GE which she will surely win.

4) The return of the catastrophically awful Derek Hatton makes me yearn for the joy that was late period Ken.

5) The number one thing everyone should be thinking about now is Brexit and how to mitigate the damage.

It amazes me that the press and the BBC are all so willing to propagate the lies and the general description of Corbyn as 'extremist'..'anti-semitic' etc... but for some odd reason do not see the extremism in Rees-Mogg, De Pfeffell, et.al. and indeed continue to platform them totally uncritically.

You're easily amazed Mull. I don't expect the BBC to ask any critical questions anymore. It's simply not in its DNA.

Check out the article I just shared about the many inconsistencies of Umunna. He will not be challenge about any of it on the BBC.

Last edited:
Actually, that poll isn't too bad given the anti-Labour media shitstorm currently in play. A 6 point Tory lead really ins't great, and with a number of so called centrist parties on the scene, plus a resurgent UKIP and/or new Farage party (he's registered it in readiness) it would be interesting to see actual results.
If the

Democracy - you must be joking!
Four years of backroom plotting and scheming to depose the (twice) elected party leader. Don't talk to me about democracy because you haven't a clue. Interesting also that this crew also want to stop brexit despite the referendum result - yeah, what a great bunch of democrats!

I really like and admire Jeremy Corbyn. Push comes to shove he'd be on the right side.
The amount of shit that man has to tolerate on a daily bass would have destroyed most leaders long ago.

This current episode is at least ridding the Party of Blairites.

When push comes to shove you think he will be on the side of the Trotskyists? Really or are you having a laugh?

You're easily amazed Mull. I don't exect the BBC to ask any critical questions anymore. It's simply not in its DNA.

Check out the article I just shared about the many inconsistencies of Umunna. He will not be challenge about any of it on the BBC.

You are right of course. Just my frustrations leaking out. I suppose that what really amazes is the capacity of the UK dumbnoscenti for uncritically lapping up the drivel dripping from the press and the BBC

My thoughts FWIW

1) The bizarre paranoia of the left takes me back to my activist student days. Everything is always a plot! There are always secret enemies!

There are. But they are less 'secret', than disguised. They really are the puppet masters who pull the press and meedja strings to get turkeys to vote for Christmas. Just because we've all lost out youthful idealism and optimism.. doesn't mean they've gone away.

Corbyn's base will blame everything on this split. Forever. Whilst continuing to deny all fault on their and his part.

This is trickier.. I have to admit I no longer have a clue what Corbyn is planning.. if anything.. but he will definitely lace blame for the state of the UK squarely where it belongs. With the Tories.

3) I am confused about whether we on the left should be calling for a GE as Corbyn has been urging for months or whether May is going to call a snap GE which she will surely win.

Me too. I'm not so sure she'd win as it would depend on which set of feeble promises she nailed to the mast this time. People now know what her promises are worth.

4) The return of the catastrophically awful Derek Hatton makes me yearn for the joy that was late period Ken.

Hatton is above all a self publicist and opportunist. His opposition to Thatcher was to be applauded. His lack of political 'nous' wasn't. He is currently claiming he has no interest in office, just membership. We'll have to wait and see.

5) The number one thing everyone should be thinking about now is Brexit and how to mitigate the damage.

Amen to that. Stopping it might be a good first step. Entirely legal and a way out of the impasse.

Last edited by a moderator:
We just kill and eat the Leave supporters until there are none left.

- It will help swing the next vote decisively to Remain
- It provides a valuable source of meat protein without all of those addition greenhouse gasses from traditional meat production
- It will reduce the "overcrowding" caused by all of those nice and useful immigrants, by removing the indigent underclass
- It will increase the average IQ of the country by a significant margin
- Less population pressure should reduce house prices for young first time buyers
- The leave voters who put us through this crap will be dead
- They don't have to be dead when we start to cook them

Simple policies for a better Britain.

Hard to predict where this could go. The early opinion polls (Survation and Sky) suggest it could go down well with voters. And the worse Brexit goes, the more support this group is likely to get.

DzyuR8fWkAI-pih.jpg:small
The thing that really pisses me off about this is that I've never (IIRC) seen support for 'other' at 17% before. This, it seems to me, is an indication of a growing discontent with the traditional parties and a move away from supporting them. If you add the 10% support for the Splitter Party to the 'other' you get more support than Labour is mustering. This is support that could otherwise go towards the Greens where a surge of support could really make a difference, on the basis that Caroline Lucas sometimes seems like the only grown up in Parliament. So the Splitters are also splitting the non-traditional party vote. My guess would be that the kids who are now disenchanted with Corbyn may well go to the Greens. I'm seriously thinking of backing them up on that.

The Tory split is on for 11am, says Newsnight's Nicholas Watt. It will be Soubry, Wollaston and Allen.

It's certainly a loss of brains for the Tories - who can forget Wollaston's calm, clinical demolition of a repetitive and thoroughly weird May at the Health Select Committee hearing on Brexit?

A lot will depend on how Brexit goes, but we seem to be heading towards a period of increased anger and division as a country. The Internet is unlikely to help. No wonder the authorities have made plans for mass 'no deal' riots.

advertisement

Back