advertisement

How much difference between streamers when using own dac?

Allaboutmusic

pfm Member
Hi all, I currently use a cca into a rega dac-r, the cca outputs via the optical into the rega dac which then reclocks the data so it should in theory remove jitter. I have read elsewhere that for a optical output to work all data needs to be sent or it won't work, so coupled with the dac there should be zero jitter and a bit perfect stream. At least in theory.

However I was in an hifi store and the staff said you can tell the difference. I might audition a few with my dac and see if I can hear a difference but wanted to see what others views are? Will the quality of streamer have an impact or is it really just features providing using own dac?

Thanks

Sorry Keith but my ears tell me otherwise.

The dCS Bridge is definitely better than my Moon Mind180 when it comes to sound quality. It is also much more expensive :-(

This is a topic that comes up on here, and elsewhere, again and again. Just do a search.

IMO&E the streamer does make a difference, the significance of that difference is down to your personal preferences, system and budget.

This is a topic that comes up on here, and elsewhere, again and again. Just do a search.

IMO&E the streamer does make a difference, the significance of that difference is down to your personal preferences, system and budget.
There was an interesting Archimago article which appeared to contradict this view. It included measurements. I tend to agree with it, having tried a range of streamers.

There was an interesting Archimago article which appeared to contradict this view. It included measurements. I tend to agree with it, having tried a range of streamers.

What article are you referring to here? Archimago seems to only test entry level streamers and then extrapolates conclusions about higher end components.

Keith/Purite "As long as the ‘transport’ is sending bit perfect data there will be no difference."

"Sorry Keith but my ears tell me otherwise."

Keith/Purite "Compare unsighted through the same dac."

"That is what I did."

Silence from Keith.

It’s on his site, most recent article I think. I’ve tried a few streamers in my friends set up( he has very revealing speakers)including Aurender, Linn, Naim, Innuous etc. Blowed if we could hear much difference through his dcs dac.Even with a Pi based streamer gave competition.

I can tell no difference in quality between using my streamer, and connecting a laptop directly to the DAC.
For me therefore the only difference between streamers is their functionality.

This is just all part of the same old same old. Do CD Transports make a difference? Cables? Supports? Et al

There's no consensus, just the old subjective vs objective debate. My experience tells me what does and doesn't matter. Proving, or otherwise, what I hear is pointless. I really don't care. I just pass on my opinion based on 45 years experience, having owned more kit than many dealers!

It comes down to vfm for me. If I here no difference it makes me feel really good that I’ve spent less than £100 on something that sounds very similar or the same as a £2000 + streamer.

You could probably buy a 2nd hand Squeezebox Touch or roll your own with a Pi. I’m sure there are others.

I can speak from my own personal experience. Whilst the CCA has fantastic functionality (multi-room etc), integration with Google Home (voice control etc.), there is a noticeable difference when using my Allo digione in place of the CCA feeding my 2Qute DAC. Not as much as changing the DAC but there is an increase in detail and separation. Having said that the Digione is via Coax input and the CCA is Optical on the 2Qute - I think I read somewhere that the Coax is less prone to jitter hence why Allo use this. I can switch between the CCA and the Digione with the same track, same source (NAS, spotify, internet radio etc.). Radio paradise flac sounds better via the Digione. I tend to use the CCA for all house background music and the Allo Digione for single room listening sessions.

advertisement

Back