advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111010)

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does it reveal this? All results are somewhat Dac dependent. Over at AudioScience Review Amir has had fun pointing out that various foo streaming devices have worse results than his laptop, but
a. the differences are inaudible
b. they depend on the method of powering the foo streamer bad psu tend to be the cause- but note this does not mean cheap vs expensive or linear vs switchmode, although.
c. they reduce or disappear with a competent dac.

It's clearly audible. I don't even use super-dupa PSUs, just a pair of ifi ipower 5v's and I can still hear the difference.

Measurements for the Allo USBridge are public on their website - its competent alright. As for Amir, he sometimes falls into the same trap as archimago - not all that competent, has an agenda, but make of it what you will.

Amir doesn't come from an actual eletrical engineering background either, and it shows at times. But I wont entirely shoot him down - there's some merit in what he does for sure.

I use a DAC/Heapdhone amp for my PC and my motherboard allows me to turn the 5v power off on specific USB ports it has (they're called DAC UP 2 ports, of course!). Think Amir from AudioScience would consider that a worthwhile exercise? Honestly I can't tell, but I do it anyway.

Turn it off, I could hear a subtle difference, YMMV depending on galvanic isolation.

My MDAC died today ;-(
There is so much back and forth within MDAC2 project, I decied to wait until all the building blocks for the FDAC are available. John agreed to that.
From my point of view we are at least one year before the FDAC will arrive. What to do in the meantime?
What would be a worthwhile DAC in the meantime? I would like to spend 300 - 500 EUR. My primary source is a USB connected HTPC with FLAC and DSD files.
Thanks for your support.

If mine dies I'll buy a Ciunas Audio ISO-DAC, based on a recent audition. But I already have a separate pre-amp/headphone amp, and second-hand value will be a leap in the dark, assuming it hasn't worn out by then....
Trawling ebay would be a more rational approach but when all's said and done this is about the music.

My MDAC died today ;-(
There is so much back and forth within MDAC2 project, I decied to wait until all the building blocks for the FDAC are available. John agreed to that.
From my point of view we are at least one year before the FDAC will arrive. What to do in the meantime?
What would be a worthwhile DAC in the meantime? I would like to spend 300 - 500 EUR. My primary source is a USB connected HTPC with FLAC and DSD files.
Thanks for your support.
The Ciunas sounds fantastic to me (now you can order one without HUB because it's cheaper). The other dac I prefer in that range is the Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 digital

Thanks for the first hints.
But I do have DSD files and I want to use them nativ ;-)
The "Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 digital" is on my list

Thanks for the first hints.
But I do have DSD files and I want to use them nativ ;-)
The "Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 digital" is on my list
JohnW suggested to me on FB that the Ciunas ISO-DAC would probably sound better than the Pro-Ject S2. The downside of the Ciunas is that it is just a DAC, only USB without any pre-amp features (e.g volume control/remote or input selection). Its sound is very different to the MDAC and IMO far better. Good value too, why not join the DAC TOUR and try it for the cost of onward shipping, otherwise John Kenny has a 30 day return policy. I've got one and am delighted. The very first MDACs IMO are getting to that age where caps may fail.

I too want to end up with the fully loaded FDAC, but I believe getting there may be in stages.

EDIT: I believe the Ciunas can do DSD files too (I've not tried it myself though).

My MDAC died today ;-(
Thanks for your support.

The Topping D30 and D50 get much love.

IIRC on facebook there was a mention of another 30 to 45 days

Yes, and that was about 45 days ago. To be honest I've given up on this. It's now over 5 years since I made my first payment for a product which was promised 'in a few months'. Lost count of the number of promises which have been made and then broken. Just waiting on the 'shipping by christmas' message for the 5th year running.

In fairness the next stage is apparently someone telling John the price of a metal box. That sort of thing could take ages. if you look very carefully at the time lapse photography you can probably see actual movement.
I distinctly remember that at some point in the past I used to have a sunny and optimistic disposition.

Amir doesn't come from an actual eletrical engineering background either, and it shows at times. But I wont entirely shoot him down - there's some merit in what he does for sure.
FWIW his CV says
I am Electrical Engineer by degree (and hobby) although most of my professional experience has been in software development. After 35 years in technology sector, I retired as VP of Digital Media at Microsoft in 2008. I am founder of Madrona Digital which is a company that specializes in mid to high-end electronics for residential and commercial properties. I also advise local companies in digital media and co-founded a company in that domain that was sold a few years ago.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?members/amirm.2/#about
and for greater detail
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/a-bit-about-your-host.1906

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back