advertisement

ESL owners - what are you driving them with?

naimnut

Deep in the Mines of Soul
I'd like to hear what those of you who own ESLs are using to drive them. I have previously read (on this forum) several votes for using something like a Quad 405 or 606 or 909, but those are pretty thin on the ground around here.

My Innersound Electrostatic amp has been a pretty good match, but is now due for a recap (it's 17 years old). And I recently realized it's probably too powerful for my ESL63s, as it can dump a ton of current through the speakers to the point where the protection circuit is activated. So I'm guessing I need to dial the power back a ways.

This experience has me wondering what others are using and - if you feel like sharing more - help me understand the whys and wherefores. Where else have you been on this journey called Quads and how'd you arrive at your current setup? Anybody using tubes?

Best regards,
Markus

On my 63s; Mark Levinson No. 29 and DIY SE valve hybrid mono blocs when I need a bit more heating (they sound better then ML, but not very environmentally friendly).

I also used a 303 for a few months. It did nothing wrong and sounded fine...until I swapped the ML back in I was happy, but the ML is better to my ears.

I do not see a problem using an overly powerful amp, as long as you do not overload the ESLs - have you tripped the protection on yours then? What happens?

Is there any real danger of damage to the ESL's by using a high power amp (e.g. 300 wpc) - accidents included, i.e. does the ESL's protection circuit really work ?
That's going to be a major consideration for anyone thinking of using ESL's (e.g. me) as we'd have to downgrade the amp.

I have been using an Audio Research VSi60 to drive a pair of 2905s for the last couple of years. Work very well together, though I do wonder one thing: should I be using the 4ohm output rather than the 8ohm one? I read somewhere that 4 was better with the Quads, but as I don't know what the difference is, I've always used 8 as I assumed this was the "standard". Can anyone enlighten me?

In my 23 years and counting with my 57s I’ve used:

Musical Fidelity B1
Musical Fidelity A3
Quad 303, with the A3 as a preamp
Quad II Classic Integrated

Whilst the II sounds the best to me, in value terms I think the 303 is pretty much unbeatable into the 57s in my experience. To my ears it does most of what valves do, but much more economically.

Is there any real danger of damage to the ESL's by using a high power amp (e.g. 300 wpc) - accidents included, i.e. does the ESL's protection circuit really work ?
That's going to be a major consideration for anyone thinking of using ESL's (e.g. me) as we'd have to downgrade the amp.

I would think the protection circuit would work but from memory it was only fitted later in the life of the ESL 63 and not at all on the 57 (I could be wrong about that) The danger is flashover on the panels - you might get away with it occasionally but not as a regular thing.

I have been using an Audio Research VSi60 to drive a pair of 2905s for the last couple of years. Work very well together, though I do wonder one thing: should I be using the 4ohm output rather than the 8ohm one? I read somewhere that 4 was better with the Quads, but as I don't know what the difference is, I've always used 8 as I assumed this was the "standard". Can anyone enlighten me?

I don’t know the 2905 but most Quads fluctuate a fair bit with frequency, but I’d have thought 8 was about in the middle of it. The original ESL is more like 16 Ohms with a low dip very high up. You won’t hurt anything by trying the other taps and what sounds best is best! I certainly learnt my Stereo 20 sounds best into the Tannoys on the 8 Ohm tap and 16 Ohm for the JR149s (which is what I’d expect).

This experience has me wondering what others are using and - if you feel like sharing more - help me understand the whys and wherefores. Where else have you been on this journey called Quads and how'd you arrive at your current setup? Anybody using tubes?

Best regards,
Markus

I used a Quad 405-2 (with a few tweaks) very happily for a few years (with 57s). Very satisfying sound. I then tried out an Electrocompaniet "Two Channel" power amp, which I felt was, if anything, a little bit better. Wish I hadn't sold it. I have found they also sound very good with my Avondale A260 amp (90 wpc solid state), and if you like valves, a Radford STA25 works exceptionally well. Good luck!
ML

NAP 300. Mine were restored by Quads Unlimited, with protection circuit added.

For 3 years, up until May this year I’ve also been using a Quad Integrated Classic with superb results into my esl63s and 2905s.

On a bit of a whim I bought a JVC Z-AX1010, more for the digital side of things really and here we are 6 months down the line and I’ve finally decided to keep it and sell the Quad Integrated Classic. I’ll probably miss the ‘ creamy valve’ sound but the JVC just has about everything I need from an amplifier and seems to me to work just fine with electrostatics.

I used to have ESL 57s. Initially I drove them with a Sugden A48. I had some problems with the output transistors but my electricity supply was a bit variable in voltage could go from about 220-260v depending on the time of day. Latterly I used Naim 160 without any problems. I eventually sold the speakers as was too difficult to get the right position for the speakers while making it possible to live round them.

I still miss the ESLs but in my case they were not practical.

I have a stacked pair of 57s and I drive them with a pair of Beam echo mono power amps.

Works fine

Last edited:
One amplifier that sounds surprising good with my Quad ELS57 was an A&R Cambridge A60.

One amplifier that sounds surprising good with my Quad ELS57 was an A&R Cambridge A60.

I remember enjoying that combination too - also an STA15 with ‘57s. With my ESL63s I have used a NAP250 and diy 4xEL34 monoblocs - but I am currently very happy with a Quad 520.

I don’t know the 2905 but most Quads fluctuate a fair bit with frequency, but I’d have thought 8 was about in the middle of it. The original ESL is more like 16 Ohms with a low dip very high up. You won’t hurt anything by trying the other taps and what sounds best is best! I certainly learnt my Stereo 20 sounds best into the Tannoys on the 8 Ohm tap and 16 Ohm for the JR149s (which is what I’d expect).

Thanks for the info. Is it usual that speaker manufacturers tell you what output is best, or is it always something one should experiment with? My previous amplification (Naim) only had one possible output (I presume it was 8Ohm), so it's not something I've been confronted with and assumed 8Ohm was standard and anything else would be speaker-specific. I'll have a play at some point...

ESL57 - NAP250(CB), then Gainclones, then Yamaha home cinema amp (they are now in my TV system) - I've also used, briefly, T-Amp - not happy, EAR890 (sublime), and a friend had a Radford STA15 - I wish I'd bought one when they were affordable. I will probably put the Gainclones back in the system now that they have been released from other duties, though I also have a 25w B&O Icepower amp that I may try as well. My first encounter with 57s was on the end of a Julius Futterman OTL valve amp, sounded good, but lots of arcing going on - glad they weren't my speakers!

advertisement

Back