advertisement

ESL owners - what are you driving them with?

I love the Black & Decker equipment rack!- has anyone else ever done this?

Should be in the 'show us your system' thread!

No comment on the cans of cat food holding up the turntable?

I'm thinking of hanging the Quads from the ceiling and building smaller, open back boxes for the woofers. I'm guessing the mass of the Quads is sufficient to brace them in free air, especially when they're not handling the bottom two octaves.

I'm very happy with the rather unlikely pairing of ESLs and Nait 2. I'd love to try with a suitable power amp and liberate the Nait 2 back to the second system but it may be that the ESLs end up being the speakers on the second system.

I keep wondering how good a DNM PA3^S would be at driving the ESLs. It was a stonkingly good amp in its day....

I used a Nait 3 (actually a Naim 90, which is half a Nait 3) and it was really good, but the amp failed after a few years. I have heard that the earlier Naits were uniquely suited to the Quads. I think your safest bet for an amp is the best push pull tube amp you can afford. Vintage tube amps have gotten so expensive... there are probably some brand new Chinese tube amps out there that would work well though.

Thanks Jez, I may go that way if/when I get the JLH running. I know they are reckoned to be spectacular with ESLs.

With Quad II valve amps being a good match for ESL57's, would they have the oomph to drive a stacked pair too, or would a second pair of II's be required too? Also, would a 606 suffice, pr be total overkill to run a pair of stacked 57's?

Totally left field, but back in the day I drove a pair of 57's with a pair of Mark Levinson ML2's. Amazing This was after hearing stacked 57's in a HQD system with 3 pairs of ML2's

advertisement

Back