advertisement

House prices - Loadsamoney

That's just rubbish - I suggest you are believing what you want to believe - viewer bias. Everyone needs somewhere to live - everybody does their best to earn their way. Everyone I know has a job, does not claim benefits and generally 'hustles'. Most people round here run their own business or are self employed due to the lack of large employers.

40 miles may seem OK in the SE, but round here 10 miles is more appropriate.

Within 10 miles there are 4 homes available under £100k - still unaffordable if you are earning the average wage of £20k. 41 homes are available under £150k.

If you need a 3 bedroom house in Axminster (we do - need to walk to station) then there is 1 house available under £160k. Still unaffordable using sensible metrics.

I was replying to your myth that house builders are building loads of affordable starter homes - we have loads of housebuilding going on around us - but I wouldn't call it affordable. In the mid 2000s starter flats were always sold for around £100-120k in these parts. Wages have not increased in real terms in the last 10 years, but these flats now cost £160-190k. Greed helps no-one.

From my experience house builders are so in-efficient they literally just burn money when building houses - there is no incentive for them to build in a cost effective manner. So houses could be built cheaper and the land price is purely speculative, I think that the land that our development was built on was held in our developer's land bank for at least a decade.

I don't doubt your views - but from where I live they are simply a myth and no-one I know holds your opinion - from people aged 25 to 80.

Most if of the larger homes in this area are owned by retired people who have moved into the area. I probably know around 15-20 retired couples who live locally and a high proportion own at least 4 bedroom houses and most have moved into the area on retirement. They all attribute their ability to afford their current house due to the increases they saw in their younger years.

I think you misunderstood me about young people in Suffolk. I was making a comparison with where I used to live but to be fair it was some years ago so maybe all young people are more motivated nowadays but I doubt it.

Well obviously if first time buyers insist on staying in a given area within walking distance of whatever then the choice is limited.

What's wrong with a flat or shared ownership for first time buyers?? I see 1200 results searching Essex under £150k

Look at the last page of that search http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property...wType=LIST&areaSizeUnit=sqft&currencyCode=GBP

Your 1,218 results, for example, include http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-63185336.html

If we set 1 bedroom as a minimum and include flats and all house types, we're down to 650 http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property...retirement&areaSizeUnit=sqft&currencyCode=GBP

And even that includes sheds like http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-56137588.html

How many decent, liveable places in Essex are there under £150,000?

Look at the last page of that search http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property...wType=LIST&areaSizeUnit=sqft&currencyCode=GBP

Your 1,218 results, for example, include http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-63185336.html

If we set 1 bedroom as a minimum and include flats and all house types, we're down to 650 http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property...retirement&areaSizeUnit=sqft&currencyCode=GBP

And even that includes sheds like http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-56137588.html

How many decent, liveable places in Essex are there under £150,000?

Sure there is some crap in that 1200 but there are plenty of places for first time buyers on a budget. I'm not saying homes are cheap or even reasonable, just that a couple on minimum wage thinking of moving out of their parents homes can buy their own with a bit of determination and flexibility.

Sure there is some crap in that 1200 but there are plenty of places for first time buyers on a budget. I'm not saying homes are cheap or even reasonable, just that a couple on minimum wage thinking of moving out of their parents homes can buy their own with a bit of determination and flexibility.

Trouble is deposit they might be able to save, hoping prices do not increase as it may take a couple of yearsor so. Next problem is getting a mortgage, a minimum wage may not be enough for the calcs.

Bloss

Anyone see the BBC 6o'clock news, main item

Bloss

Didn't see it but was it the cost of temporary housing?

If so, I would imagine these unfortunates will be demonized by much of the press and those with foreign origins will be positively hung out to dry.

This has absolutely nothing to do with a greed culture.

I should perhaps have put a winking smiley at the end of that sentence Bloss :)

Personally I just don't understand why property is priced the way it is, if someone can explain to me please do.

From what I can deduce, property is valued by an estate agent, who's sole aim is to try and make as much commission for themselves as possible, they are not given incentives by the government for higher stamp duty payments, the only money they earn is through their own commission. So who is out there regulating what they are charging? Nobody from what I can see, they just appear to charge as much as they possibly can and that is their only aim.

I'm in the retail business, but if I just charged as much as I thought I could get away with for a product I'd be called a charlatan and end up being forced out of business by other companies selling the same product cheaper.. why is it with the biggest purchases that we ever make that the price is determined by what a 20yo estate agents thinks they 'might be able to get?'

prices are rising around this area driven by HUGE demand and VERY little supply . even houses that need work are fetching top dollar . the estate agents know they can get so they price it accordingly .. having just lost a property and lots of £££££ because the vendor withdrew hours before completion I know from experience !

Are there no cheap terraced houses in your area. My first terraced house was £2500 in 1976 which had an outside toilet (average pay then probably about £3000), it was cheaper to pay the bank loan than rent a bedsit. I built an extension and moved onto a semi bungalow £23,000 in 1984 (average pay probably £8000). When the kids came along we purchased a 3 bed detatched £81,000 in 1994 (average pay probably £15,000).
Before everyone starts saying this has absolutely nothing to do with todays situation can i offer some advice on need.
1. My first house did not need to be where i would live all your life.
2. I did not need new furniture the sale rooms stuff was ok.
3. I ran an old car.
4. I purchased houses that needed work so i added value for my next step on the property ladder.
5. Buy and sell houses yourself you do not need estate agents.
6. You do not need solicitors to do all the conveyancing.
7. It took me about 3 months of renting to realise it was money down the drain and i was prepared to live in a rougher area than i could rent.

Perhaps not directly, but it does show the greed with buy to let, which has stoked up the market even more

Bloss

its not greed in all cases , its the fact that if you put your money in the bank it earns pennies so folks try buy to let . however after the new tax changes and price increases yields are getting lower and lower and it may not pay you much after all the expenditure

there was a programme tonight on radio 4 on the incredible housing problems of places like east London . well the Govt is doing all it can to make it harder tp provide housing by penalising buy to let landlords who help provide housing .

yes I know you could argue they are taking properties that ftb could buy but very often they can`t get the huge deposits needed so have to rent

Are there no cheap terraced houses in your area. My first terraced house was £2500 in 1976 which had an outside toilet (average pay then probably about £3000), it was cheaper to pay the bank loan than rent a bedsit. I built an extension and moved onto a semi bungalow £23,000 in 1984 (average pay probably £8000). When the kids came along we purchased a 3 bed detatched £81,000 in 1994 (average pay probably £15,000).
Before everyone starts saying this has absolutely nothing to do with todays situation can i offer some advice on need.
1. My first house did not need to be where i would live all your life.
2. I did not need new furniture the sale rooms stuff was ok.
3. I ran an old car.
4. I purchased houses that needed work so i added value for my next step on the property ladder.
5. Buy and sell houses yourself you do not need estate agents.
6. You do not need solicitors to do all the conveyancing.
7. It took me about 3 months of renting to realise it was money down the drain and i was prepared to live in a rougher area than i could rent.

This exactly

The question really is how much have you spent in repayments over the years in order to climb the ladder Colin. Are you still repaying?

Where I live, a nasty three bedroom ex council semi is around half a million.

Not sure what kids are earning now but it's difficult to imagine them living comfortably by the time they reach middle age.

Chaps

Sitting behind a pc complaining about the price of housing is dead easy, any moron can do it. What we need is sensible answers and not one person in this thread has even remotely approached that.

Building companies have never built affordable housing because no one buys them. If they were sellable, they would be built by the thousands. No builder will build a house that no one buys. The most marketable houses are 3 bed flats in towers selling for £700 - £800k in London. Common sense dictates that you build what you can easily sell.

Building more council houses is not the answer in a free society. If the authorities want to control people, become their landlord and then you really do control them. So state owned housing is best avoided unless you are a state control freak.

Most people want a traditional 2 or 3 bed house with a garden and the main problem is the price of land thanks to green belt regulations. So the choice is simple, stay as we are with a housing shortage and build more high rise or release more green land as there is not enough brown sites around.

This is not a beautiful caring left wing v batshit authoritarian bastard rightwing issue, it is a simple issue of making a simple decision which is - what is the most important, preserving green fields or building the houses that people want to live in.

The moment you build the right amount of houses, the prices will fall.

Regards

Mick

It's not that affordable or lower-end house are not saleable...the issue is that there's much more profit in mid to higher-end housing so that's what gets built.

It's not that affordable or lower-end house are not saleable...the issue is that there's much more profit in mid to higher-end housing so that's what gets built.

Correct.

The problem is the notion of a housing-ladder, the suggestion being you must climb it.

The main idea is to have a home, imo. Councils need to build more houses. Not everyone needs to buy or even wants to buy, after all.

Always trying to reinvent the wheel. As far as possible copy German housing policies, France for Health Care and Finland/Netherlands for Education.
Of course the devil is in the detail....
Maybe the NIHS is just too strong.

Chaps

Sitting behind a pc complaining about the price of housing is dead easy, any moron can do it. What we need is sensible answers and not one person in this thread has even remotely approached that.

Regards

Mick

Glad to see your post didn't upset the apple cart Mick.

Wouldn't want humane considerations to get in the way of profiteering after all would we?

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom