advertisement

House prices - Loadsamoney

Did you politely point out their children will be living at home for decade after decade as they won't be able to afford to get on the housing ladder?
And then how convenient it would be if the parent were to fall down the stairs. Wasn't there a problem in Victorian times before the invention of a test for arsenic poisoning, when children wanted to speed up their inheritance

Says the owner of a Thailand beach bar :D

:D

In fairness I feel, my decision to leave rather illustrates my point.

I'm leaving because I don't feel I want to compromise my ethics by playing the game required to succeed in today's UK business market.

The game requires an approach not dissimilar to that employed by Trump HQ and the Brexit campaign in the political arena. An approach that relies on selling unrealistic dreams with the aim of becoming too large to fail in a short enough period so as to profit.

The alternative is to work for someone doing that selling, in which case you are expected to work longer and longer hours for less and less money and are eternally expendable.

This obviously isn't exclusively the case, but the morals of the business I am in often shock me in the same way that Farage and co have. It's a world built on little respect for the truth or for your neighbors, a world that demands growth and places that far above service or ethics.

I see too much of this in the UK now so I have chosen to up sticks and try something different. I'm not interested in "loadsamoney". I'm interested in food on the table, good family and friends, and enough time to enjoy it (oh and good music of course!). I'm interested in having customers as long term friends, not as opportunities. I want to help them be happy, not to rape them for all they are worth. My plan is to make enough to cover my ex's and for the rest to go to those who need it on the island.

Those with my business ethics are seemingly on the wane in the UK. There is a young ex pat English owner of a bar near to mine who tried to export the UK model of destroying the competition through loss leaders. He ended up with all other bar owners clubbing together and their making it very clear what would happen to his bar before anyone else suffered. That's my kind of morals - i.e. there's enough in this for all of us, why try to take control of it all for yourself?

Anyway, enough :D The essence is that I'd rather be where I felt that morals still played a part in commerce and in life in general. Hence I'm off. I have no desire to stockpile money. I just want food on the table, a place to sleep and those I love to be healthy and happy. If the venture covers those bases great. If it does more, then that extra will go to those less fortunate on the island and elsewhere.

Ironically the stupid house prices in the UK benefit me as I'm trying something different. But those who are staying here, trying to build lives here, benefit not one jot. The only people to benefit are the wealthy private landlords.

I may well return and so will become one of those. I may miss my friends and loved ones too much to make putting up with UK society a price I accept I have to pay. But nothing ventured nothing gained. The rat race really is everything it's always been cracked up to be two terms on ICU have made me only too aware that this isn't a rehearsal and that spending my time craving more money and more toys is a remarkable waste of such a short window of opportunity.

Now if anyone knows of pockets of UK life that still hold dear the community spirit and morals of yesteryear and which frown upon the "Apprentice" style approach to life in general, please to let me know as I suspect I might well need a fall back plan at some stage :D

Although I have no desire to leave the UK, I absolutely understand Merlin's post above. The 'Apprentice' approach is vile and seems symptomatic of so much that is just 'not right' in the UK.

Maggie just wanted to stop wasting money subsidising doomed industries, doomed in no small part by the unions excessive wage demands which made them uncompetitive and then no longer viable at all.

The Times today published a claim that 30,000 new government workers will be employed to control Brexit. The Lady would be for turning. In her grave.

Decent post, I hope it works out.

Meanwhile the 'Are you just managing? I'm talking to you' demographic addressed by May are already picking up the tab for Brexit. With no hope of evacuating to another country to start a new business, they're in for a winter of discontent, then another...

Totally agree with Merlin and it used to make so mad to see some Tory minister trotting out the old "It's the going rate for the job" when defending some utter idiot who was in the banking field and then turning round and telling the factory workers., it's the world economy now, you need to compete on wages. Wages for highly skilled workers were always high no matter what country you moved to. Unless of course, you were trying to compete with the likes of China.

I worked for the Manpower Services Commission until November 85 in the West Midlands and dozens of highly qualified and skilled workers thrown on the scrap heap by Thatcher for a solely political end were snapped up by eager European and American firms.

I hear this all the time. I think it's one of those things that if you say it often enough, it becomes true. My lad just turned 18 & passed his driving test, along with all his mates. Every single one got new or nearly new cars. One a Mercedes. All still at school, so all parent funded. My first car was a 12yo shed I bought myself. I had to weld new sills on & respray it. When we bought our first house, we lived without Carpets for 3-4 years. No holidays etc.. Kids today consider the latest mobile & Sky subscription as essentials. They are loads better off today, it's the expectation that got bigger.

Well, to get a clear picture that will provide us with a useful comparison, we could consider that a house that might have cost 3-4 times the average salary in the past is now 10 times, even 20 or more in the South East.

Or we could collect anecdotes about the youth of today not knowing how lucky they are.

Well, to get a clear picture that will provide us with a useful comparison, we could consider that a house that might have cost 3-4 times the average salary in the past is now 10 times, even 20 or more in the South East.

Yep. Our old house in That London is now 'worth' about 20 times what we paid for it. There's no way we could even afford the deposit, let alone make the monthly payments, if we were working in similar jobs to what we had then.

And don't forget, these new cars are often these 199 a month deals that simply didn't exist when most of us were kids.

Maggie just wanted to stop wasting money subsidising doomed industries, doomed in no small part by the unions excessive wage demands which made them uncompetitive and then no longer viable at all.

I bought Britjsh cars for longer than it was sensible, they were junk in comparison to the competition. The same could be said about much of industry which has already gone. The present problem is the EU encouraging competetive industry to leave the richer nations.

It might be expensive in that London but you wouldn't want to sell up and move north. It is so cold and wet up here. Houses may be cheap but it just smells dreadful up north; a kind of mix of chips, embassy fags and urinals. No Waitrose just Aldi they have even shut the libraries so we can only look at art or read if we go in charity shops. No yoga either!

It's fantastic in Newcastle.

Totally agree go there. Wonderful place. Middlesborough that's good too. Exceptions to every rule.
Cumbria, that's the worst. The rain just never stops. Oh and the midges!

It might be expensive in that London but you wouldn't want to sell up and move north. It is so cold and wet up here. Houses may be cheap but it just smells dreadful up north; a kind of mix of chips, embassy fags and urinals. No Waitrose just Aldi they have even shut the libraries so we can only look at art or read if we go in charity shops. No yoga either!

Oh I agree, and Scotland is particularly horrible. I suggest you lot all stay "darn sarf" and stay away.. please please stay away, there's a good chap:D

:D

In fairness I feel, my decision to leave rather illustrates my point.

I'm leaving because I don't feel I want to compromise my ethics by playing the game required to succeed in today's UK business market.

The game requires an approach not dissimilar to that employed by Trump HQ and the Brexit campaign in the political arena. An approach that relies on selling unrealistic dreams with the aim of becoming too large to fail in a short enough period so as to profit.

The alternative is to work for someone doing that selling, in which case you are expected to work longer and longer hours for less and less money and are eternally expendable.

This obviously isn't exclusively the case, but the morals of the business I am in often shock me in the same way that Farage and co have. It's a world built on little respect for the truth or for your neighbors, a world that demands growth and places that far above service or ethics.

I see too much of this in the UK now so I have chosen to up sticks and try something different. I'm not interested in "loadsamoney". I'm interested in food on the table, good family and friends, and enough time to enjoy it (oh and good music of course!). I'm interested in having customers as long term friends, not as opportunities. I want to help them be happy, not to rape them for all they are worth. My plan is to make enough to cover my ex's and for the rest to go to those who need it on the island.

Those with my business ethics are seemingly on the wane in the UK. There is a young ex pat English owner of a bar near to mine who tried to export the UK model of destroying the competition through loss leaders. He ended up with all other bar owners clubbing together and their making it very clear what would happen to his bar before anyone else suffered. That's my kind of morals - i.e. there's enough in this for all of us, why try to take control of it all for yourself?

Anyway, enough :D The essence is that I'd rather be where I felt that morals still played a part in commerce and in life in general. Hence I'm off. I have no desire to stockpile money. I just want food on the table, a place to sleep and those I love to be healthy and happy. If the venture covers those bases great. If it does more, then that extra will go to those less fortunate on the island and elsewhere.

Ironically the stupid house prices in the UK benefit me as I'm trying something different. But those who are staying here, trying to build lives here, benefit not one jot. The only people to benefit are the wealthy private landlords.

I may well return and so will become one of those. I may miss my friends and loved ones too much to make putting up with UK society a price I accept I have to pay. But nothing ventured nothing gained. The rat race really is everything it's always been cracked up to be two terms on ICU have made me only too aware that this isn't a rehearsal and that spending my time craving more money and more toys is a remarkable waste of such a short window of opportunity.

Now if anyone knows of pockets of UK life that still hold dear the community spirit and morals of yesteryear and which frown upon the "Apprentice" style approach to life in general, please to let me know as I suspect I might well need a fall back plan at some stage :D

Does your beach house have a fibre internet connection or are you opting for satellite connection

Does your beach house have a fibre internet connection or are you opting for satellite connection

You might be surprised Colin how irrelevant the internet becomes when everything else slots into place.

Having said that, most paying customers still don't want to make that leap so we will have the best signal possible on the beach for those spending time with us. I am tempted to have a Happy Hour though at sunset. Half Price drinks and the wifi switched off ;)

Or we could collect anecdotes about the youth of today not knowing how lucky they are.

Unbelievably low stable interest rates for the last 8 years plus.
Let's try repayments on £200K at 2.5% compared to £85K at 9.5% ( or even more).

They haven't had it as bad as they like to claim.

advertisement

Back