advertisement

House prices - Loadsamoney

blossomchris

I feel better than James Brown
Good god, travelled home on a lateish train last night and before my very eyes and ears the Eighties were happening again.
A couple of guys were discussing the benefits of having children (around 50+yearsold) and a younger couple, mid thirties joined them. First the topic of conversation was schools (St.Albans) then property prices, all the usual shit, mine has doubled since blah blah blah and so it went for 10mins.
And I thought all this smug shit was finished, greed brings out the worst in people,

Bloss

Did you politely point out their children will be living at home for decade after decade as they won't be able to afford to get on the housing ladder?

House prices are feckin' ridiculous in many parts of the Country.

Exactly what percentage of the population benefit from this?

Did you politely point out their children will be living at home for decade after decade as they won't be able to afford to get on the housing ladder?

Good point, and I know this to be true, I have a couple of hangers on left here, bless 'em.
Thought it best not to intervene in their conversation as they all had been drinking and talking at volume.

Bloss

I hear this all the time. I think it's one of those things that if you say it often enough, it becomes true. My lad just turned 18 & passed his driving test, along with all his mates. Every single one got new or nearly new cars. One a Mercedes. All still at school, so all parent funded. My first car was a 12yo shed I bought myself. I had to weld new sills on & respray it. When we bought our first house, we lived without Carpets for 3-4 years. No holidays etc.. Kids today consider the latest mobile & Sky subscription as essentials. They are loads better off today, it's the expectation that got bigger.

house-prices-and-rents-micro-evidence-from-a-matched-dataset-in-central-london-by-philippe-bracke-4-638.jpg

I hear this all the time. I think it's one of those things that if you say it often enough, it becomes true. My lad just turned 18 & passed his driving test, along with all his mates. Every single one got new or nearly new cars. One a Mercedes. All still at school, so all parent funded. My first car was a 12yo shed I bought myself. I had to weld new sills on & respray it. When we bought our first house, we lived without Carpets for 3-4 years. No holidays etc.. Kids today consider the latest mobile & Sky subscription as essentials. They are loads better off today, it's the expectation that got bigger.

Spot on, exactly what i was saying in another thread here today.

Kids today consider the latest mobile & Sky subscription as essentials. They are loads better off today, it's the expectation that got bigger.

That rather depends what you consider to be "better off" Strummer :)

Are they happier?

Don't appear to be.

Other facts to bear in mind, number of households owning their own homes has been declining since the turn of the century. Number of households in privately rented accommodation has increased by 1.7m. Number of houses privately owned has increased by.....1.7m. I wonder how many council houses we've lost in that time?

Redistribution of wealth.

Are they happier?

Don't appear to be.

Other facts to bear in mind, number of households owning their own homes has been declining since the turn of the century. Number of households in privately rented accommodation has increased by 1.7m. Number of houses privately owned has increased by.....1.7m. I wonder how many council houses we've lost in that time?

Exactly! The picture is far more nuanced than this "baby boomers raped the world" bollox. It's just rubbish.

The expectation now is out of control. When we got home from school we were fed aspirations of one day winning a Crackerjack pencil. Now it's all Puff Doggy in a $$$600M crib.

Are they happier?

Don't appear to be.

Says the owner of a Thailand beach bar :D

See, growing up in the heart of the West Midlands, in the late 70s four car council houses were not uncommon at all, mum dad and two kids. I had mates who worked down the pit whose bank managers were imploring them to buy a house when they were 21, a typical 2 up 2 down was about 4-5 grand back then. Many skilled workers lived in the "posh" parts of town as they often earned twice as much as your typical office manager type position in the civil service or council. To make the same money as a bog standard office clerk at somewhere like Peugeot in the early 80s , you would need to be making over 600 quid a week today.

I have several mates coming towards retirement who have been earning less money this lass decade than they were in the early 80s, ie 200-250 quid a week rather than the 250-350 quid a week they were making as skilled workers in the early 80s.

I wonder how many unskilled kids of 18 are making into today's money, 350-400 quid a week simply sweeping floors in a factory? My ex's father was the scaffolding gang leader her mum was a district nurse, she grew up in a four bedroomed house in the nice area of town and had a pony when she was 13.

Many things are far far cheaper relatively these days. Take the Pet Shop Boys, the kit they owned before they even had a record deal of any sort, was the equivalent value of a decent house in many parts of London back then. On the other hand, when i first moved to London it was a few p cheaper to buy a curry and rice from an Indian restaurant than it was to buy half a dozen fish fingers and a can of beans from a shop.

The one thing that really did hit me moving to London as a student in the late 70s was. The abject level of pay that those in "industry" in London were making. When looking for temp jobs during the summer holidays, the hourly rates were often less than half and some times one third that of the same job in the West Midlands.

See, growing up in the heart of the West Midlands, in the late 70s four car council houses were not uncommon at all, mum dad and two kids. I had mates who worked down the pit whose bank managers were imploring them to buy a house when they were 21, a typical 2 up 2 down was about 4-5 grand back then. Many skilled workers lived in the "posh" parts of town as they often earned twice as much as your typical office manager type position in the civil service or council. To make the same money as a bog standard office clerk at somewhere like Peugeot in the early 80s , you would need to be making over 600 quid a week today.

I have several mates coming towards retirement who have been earning less money this lass decade than they were in the early 80s, ie 200-250 quid a week rather than the 250-350 quid a week they were making as skilled workers in the early 80s.

I wonder how many unskilled kids of 18 are making into today's money, 350-400 quid a week simply sweeping floors in a factory? My ex's father was the scaffolding gang leader her mum was a district nurse, she grew up in a four bedroomed house in the nice area of town and had a pony when she was 13.

Many things are far far cheaper relatively these days. Take the Pet Shop Boys, the kit they owned before they even had a record deal of any sort, was the equivalent value of a decent house in many parts of London back then. On the other hand, when i first moved to London it was a few p cheaper to buy a curry and rice from an Indian restaurant than it was to buy half a dozen fish fingers and a can of beans from a shop.

The one thing that really did hit me moving to London as a student in the late 70s was. The abject level of pay that those in "industry" in London were making. When looking for temp jobs during the summer holidays, the hourly rates were often less than half and some times one third that of the same job in the West Midlands.

Exactly why there is hardly any industry left in the UK now!

Err no mate, those working in skilled positions are making very good money today there just aren't many of them left. That was almost wholly a failure of management, wrong products and crap sales techniques Your analysis is the typical, it's Ok, let's pay peanuts for workers and hand all the skilled jobs to the likes of Japanese and Germans instead.

Thatcher wanted and achieved, a predominantly low wage low skill labour force for purely political ends.

Maggie just wanted to stop wasting money subsidising doomed industries, doomed in no small part by the unions excessive wage demands which made them uncompetitive and then no longer viable at all.

Maggie just wanted to stop wasting money subsidising doomed industries, doomed in no small part by the unions excessive wage demands which made them uncompetitive and then no longer viable at all.

I part see that, but any decent human being would have made some alternatives for the redundant miners to source an income.

Bloss

There was I thinking the raddled old bag just wanted to break the unions. Good riddance, tramp the dirt down.

advertisement

Back