advertisement

Teddy Pardo i80a Owners Thread

original sound? That would be the live band playing in the studio.

It depends on what you like.

Personally, I need to hear the energy and skill of the musicians, as the founder of Naim said "music is about people, if you can't hear what the people on the recording are doing, there isn't much point".

Another quote "Our electronics, in any system you put them in, always improved them in the ways which were important to me in musical terms. Not necessarily in your terms of the presentation of the sound and the space and these sorts of things, but in musical terms—the tune and the intentions of the composer, the skill of the people who are performing. It doesn't matter what the system is."

The thing is, Naim doesn't have a monopoly on Pace Rhythm and Timing

I have heard Linn kit sound as rhythmic as Naim, and to my ears the current Chord DACS like Hugo, Mojo, Hugo TT and Dave sound very engaging and rhythmic to me.

I haven't heard Teddy amps yet, but if other companies can reproduce music with all the engagement I am used to with Naim....

Because you can't have both. You can like both but you won't get it in one amp.

That's your opinion Gary but it's just that: opinion. Your statement sets up as fact that there are 'both' things at stake. I disagree. Teddy kit is better, and cheaper. You can have your cake...

Yes Ginger it is my opinion of course. I have heard the top Teddy stuff and have owned most of the Naim range. They are different to my ears, which doesn't mean to say they (Teddy) aren't enjoyable. If however i thought the Teddy stuff did everything Naim did and more, i'd have bought it by now, saved myself a ton of money and sailed off into the sunset. Alas, it is not the case.

Not for you, no. For me yes. Teddy is better. It's a fact because I said so!

And that's my point: it doesn't matter what our respective opinions are, typing them on here doesn't make them fact. Some of us think you can have both, for less. If I thought Naim was better, that's what I'd have.

Enjoy your kit, as i enjoy mine. The one thing that we cannot say is they sound the same, which is my point, and dare i say, a fact. Lastly, you may note, i never said anywhere that Naim was better than Teddy, i said they are different, and that if you like what one does, you won't get it the same in the other.

Enjoy your kit, as i enjoy mine. The one thing that we cannot say is they sound the same, which is my point, and dare i say, a fact. Lastly, you may note, i never said anywhere that Naim was better than Teddy, i said they are different, and that if you like what one does, you won't get it the same in the other.

So I take it that you have not had the opportunity of being able to compare 180a v SN2. It seems that Chris68 is the only one that has and prefers the 180a, however this is with music that I would not want to use due to the way it has probably been recorded and mastered.

In his system he prefers it, good for him. My experience is with other Teddy gear and other Naim gear as well as SN2. If i say i prefer Naim, would that make you happy? For the last time, they are different, and i will leave it there.

So I take it that you have not had the opportunity of being able to compare 180a v SN2. It seems that Chris68 is the only one that has and prefers the 180a, however this is with music that I would not want to use due to the way it has probably been recorded and mastered.

Interesting: What music do you prefer for a test, I can still test both and give you a report...

I only test with Classical music which is less messed about with when recorded, most other types of music tend to be enhanced.

cool, classical music has the highest requirements for a stereo system.

I love Dvoraks New World and I have many different versions both on Vinyl and CD. Which one do you recommend as this is a classic classical?

I will then test review that version with my SN2 and the TeddyPardo.

Cheers
Chris

Having not heard a Teddy Pardo amplifer, is there a particular audio character shared through the range. I guess it depends a lot on partnering equipment to an extent. Is the sound more laid back than forward, rich/warm sounding etc.

One doesn’t have to bash Naim to praise Teddy, nor vice a versa. I guess Teddy gear is inevitably chucked in with Naim-speak because Mr Pardo makes PSU’s that compliment Naim electronics. I personally prefer Julian Vereker’s amplifiers and I was as happy as a bug in a rug with my hard earned 12S Snaps Nap160, and even though I worked in retail at the time selling the gear, I never had the itch to go for a Hi-cap &/or 32.5 plus Nap250 ,and maybe if I sell the car I could go for the 135’s; then later go active by pimping my…..
Then I sold the 12S set up, jumped ship with the funds; eventually got back into Naim, post JV gear, and hi- end retail. And started gazing at my toes while thinking about upgrading.
I wouldn’t say that the music is toe-tapping good or “easier to follow”, the Teddy gear just lets you get on with it. I use the Pre with the separate PSU and Mono’s driving Isobariks, by the way.
Gary, was it my set up you’re referring to? Another visit is long over due, my man.
And, Indian classical music really sounds HOT with my set up.

cool, classical music has the highest requirements for a stereo system.

I love Dvoraks New World and I have many different versions both on Vinyl and CD. Which one do you recommend as this is a classic classical?

I will then test review that version with my SN2 and the TeddyPardo.

Cheers
Chris

I have the Decca Ovation CD Kondrashin New World which sounds very good played on my Sony XA5400ES . I also have a much later recording Andris Nelsons but prefer the former which originally I understand was one of the first digital LP.s. I also bought the Alsop version and gave it to a Charity Shop. Have just ordered the Reiner SACD version.

I have the Decca Ovation CD Kondrashin New World which sounds very good played on my Sony XA5400ES . I also have a much later recording Andris Nelsons but prefer the former which originally I understand was one of the first digital LP.s. I also bought the Alsop version and gave it to a Charity Shop. Have just ordered the Reiner SACD version.

Cool, I have the Reiner SACD in my collection. I have as FLAC played through the DAC and also of course through my Rega Apollo SE 35th, which is a top line player. I will give it a try, have not listened to this version since I got my Teddy Pardo as Kertesz, Friscay and others are better recordings to my ears...

In fact I have an audio expert discussion from a couple of years ago and they said that there are 50 - 100 version and a lot being added every year. They said Kertesz is the best...give it a try if you can.

advertisement

Back