advertisement

Dispute with Amazon

After years of having no problems with Amazon, I've recently had two orders cancelled and refunded.

Amazon offer no explanation for apart from a generic list of 'possible reasons'.

Anyone else had this happen?

Stephen

After years of having no problems with Amazon, I've recently had two orders cancelled and refunded.

Amazon offer no explanation for apart from a generic list of 'possible reasons'.

Anyone else had this happen?

Stephen

Yes I had some paint ordered next day delivery and halfway through the following day got an order cancelled notification and a refund. Sent a message to them expressing my dissatisfaction as I needed the paint that day but got nowhere just the generic response list.

I ordered an Eyefi SD card for my camera, £20 ish through Amazon. Item on its way, then didn't turn up, delivery cancelled at about 9pm. Would I like to reorder? No, not with them. I ordered through a different seller for £2 less and it arrived 16 hours later.

For me, I think I can say I've had fewer problems shopping online than the traditional ways. Even bought a new Golf GTI online back in 2001. However, I'll be keeping my ears and eyes open for a deteriorating service.

Hmmm...perhaps some of the basics are being forgotten in the drive to manage their size!

I had the wrong cd delivered last week. Painful experience as you print off the voucher, seal it up, plaster the address on the package and then drop it down to post.

I just wanted a cd!

The bank will not get your money back i'm afraid, once a payment goes through, it's gone

not sure why the need to express this pessimism. credit cards companies are usually very good with this sort of thing and don;t typically require much "evidence" of fraud. let's see what happens and hope for the best.

vuk.

Ha!

How prophetic!

I had reordered said CD and the Amazon guy just arrives and passes me the same wrong CD. Laugh? Cry? Start liking Jesus and the Mary Chain?

not sure why the need to express this pessimism. credit cards companies are usually very good with this sort of thing and don;t typically require much "evidence" of fraud. let's see what happens and hope for the best.

vuk.

He wasn't referring to a credit card transaction.

I paid by charge card. I have disputed the payment and hope to get my money back via the bank.

Amazon have made me feel like a criminal and generally, in my view, been complete dicks about the whole thing.. Their idea that i should report this to the police doesnt make much sense.

Well this whole thing sounds really baffling. I imagine you buy heaps of stuff from Amazon, so have a proven track record with them, so i'm wondering why they are questioning your honesty saying the item wasn't delivered.

Anyhow, in your position, i'd be onto my household insurer, as it includes legal advice, and this sort of consumer law is a complicated area, and getting advice would be where i'd go next. Maybe you have some provided with an insurance policy, or maybe with your workplace - it's quite common to also have a free to use legal service as part of a work package.

Why not simply report the matter to the local police, all as requested by Amazon, make it clear that Amazon and/or their agents are probably the guilty party in the crime of non-delivery.

Then pop down to your friendly solicitor and take them to the cleaners.

Assuming they don't cough up, of course.

But if it was paid for with a Credit Card (not a debit card, why introduce the confusion of a Charge Card ?) get them onto the case immediately.

Cheers
Don

Why not simply report the matter to the local police, all as requested by Amazon

Because as I have said a number of times I have reported it to the police and have a crime number.

But if it was paid for with a Credit Card (not a debit card, why introduce the confusion of a Charge Card ?) get them onto the case immediately.

The card I used is a charge card which I, mistakenly, believed was a debit card as it has to be settled immediately.

The latest "Which?" bulletin offers this :- "Fortunately, if your order does go missing you have fairly comprehensive legal protection.

Did you know that the retailer is responsible for the safe delivery of your order? Not the courier company and certainly not you. So don’t get fobbed off!

This means that if any order fails to turn up the retailer is in breach of contract, and you’re perfectly within your rights to demand a full refund, or the dispatch of a replacement item.

The Consumer Rights Act also introduced a default delivery period of 30 days during which the retailer needs to deliver, unless a longer period has been agreed. Failure to do so constitutes a breach of contract.

Over to you".

The article also points out that in the last year over £250M of stuff's gone missing between supplier & customer.

Why not simply report the matter to the local police, all as requested by Amazon, make it clear that Amazon and/or their agents are probably the guilty party in the crime of non-delivery.

Then pop down to your friendly solicitor and take them to the cleaners.

Assuming they don't cough up, of course.

Cheers
Don

you're repeating yourself, Don.

you're repeating yourself, Don.

It's good advice that Matthew chooses to avoid. It is worth repeating.

Tony has highlighted good information from Which?. That's fine. All Matthew needs to do is write to Amazon, pointing out his rights according to Which? and he will get a full refund or a new product (his choice I guess) and all will be well.

Somehow, I think the Which? route will need the back-up of a decent solicitor to implement. I don't know why I think this, but somehow, based on Amazon's responses to date, as reported by Matthew, I doubt that a single letter to Amazon will resolve this matter. But worth a try.

Which? advice + Crime Number (which Matthew already has) = Success (let's hope)

(but I would pop down to the local nick and add that last, teeny, weeny little bit of input that Amazon has asked for........)

Debit card, credit card and charge card are three different things.

Section 75 does not apply to Charge Cards e.g. Amex or Diners Club so far as I recall.

It does apply to Credit Cards, subject to a couple of limitations.

It might apply to Debit Cards. Depends on your specific card.

Don, if you need 'the back-up of a decent solicitor' to obtain judgement against Amazon for breach of contract in this case, then I'm afraid you are out of your depth giving advice.

Matthew's an intelligent chap and I'm confident that in due course Amazon will see the error of their ways and refund his money and pay any costs arising. However, I for one will not be making expensive purchases from Amazon on the basis of his experience.

Just received nice book on physical geology.
According to the receipt - worth about 200.00 us$

Problem - I never ordered said book.
Checked my CC account, and no charge from Amazon.
There is no history of the order in my Amazon account.
The receipt is in my name, and the address is correct.

Baffled by this one.
Lets see how I make out trying to return something I didn't order....

It's good advice that Matthew chooses to avoid. It is worth repeating.

Tony has highlighted good information from Which?. That's fine. All Matthew needs to do is write to Amazon, pointing out his rights according to Which? and he will get a full refund or a new product (his choice I guess) and all will be well.

Somehow, I think the Which? route will need the back-up of a decent solicitor to implement. I don't know why I think this, but somehow, based on Amazon's responses to date, as reported by Matthew, I doubt that a single letter to Amazon will resolve this matter. But worth a try.

Which? advice + Crime Number (which Matthew already has) = Success (let's hope)

(but I would pop down to the local nick and add that last, teeny, weeny little bit of input that Amazon has asked for........)

And now I'm repeating myself. "You're repeating yourself, Don."

Just received nice book on physical geology.
According to the receipt - worth about 200.00 us$

Problem - I never ordered said book.
Checked my CC account, and no charge from Amazon.
There is no history of the order in my Amazon account.
The receipt is in my name, and the address is correct.

Baffled by this one.
Lets see how I make out trying to return something I didn't order....

For gods sake don't register a crime at the local nick per Amazon advice, you'll get done for receiving!

Yes, this one should be very interesting to track.

Mykel, Matthew. Have you considered setting up an optimised web-site with forum, "have you been scammed by Amazon?", web-optimised, and an income stream from Google-ads for Amazon?

advertisement

Back