advertisement

AVI DM10 - Active System

Thank you for the correction and Joe P too. Ashley's marketing did not put me off buying the product, nor was I surprised by the very high quality of the sound I heard from the speakers. I took the parodying of his claims here as a trashing of the product.

These misunderstandings are 300 times more likely to occur when someone is too busy to read the thread, but has enough time to post.

This is incorrect. He has missed the market. Devialet Phantoms are light years ahead of the legacy AVIs, and they are available in Apple stores. No-one would even look at AVIs now.

The Phantoms are indeed most excellent: properly full-range, properly point-source, and with built-in streaming (e.g. Qobuz, Tidal ...).

I'm not sure why he doesn't sell his speakers in audio-t or similar, I can only assume e's afraid that then people would discover they were nice budget speakers amongst many others, and that, as is always the case, many wouldn't particularly like their sound.

I wouldn't call £1500 for the DM10's budget, there's plenty better out there for less.

Having dealt with Ashley in the past I wouldn't touch AVI with a bargepole.

Once he's gone it has the potential to be a good company.

On another forum the AVi DM10 appears to be gaining a name for high end sonic performance from an Active system at fraction of the cost of an average Active system. The AVI DM10 comprise of preamp, poweramps, crossover and speakers. Any one heard of them and what are your thoughts?

All you anti AVI guerrillas (gorillas ? bloody spellchecker !) are wrong (as usual), the OP specifically enquired about the product -AVI DM10, not the marketing.

As you were Timhum (professional user), ignore the flak.

JC

been beekeeping, everybody's spending the week-end extracting honey from the comb, ready for the Show competitions. it's hard work this beekeeping, haven't eaten yet, going off to make dinner now.

I just have to say, I'm SOOOOO out of the loop on whatever happened many moons ago with Ash and whoever else was involved in this ring of AVI-propping and everything else-bashing, was there some choice moments? What could have happened.

I mean heck, there's no WAY it could have competed with the "SELL ALL YOUR SHIT NOW AND GET THIS JVC XJ-1010-NX-FRX-MX-MAX-ME" thing that was going on for a few months there.

Could it?

I just have to say, I'm SOOOOO out of the loop on whatever happened many moons ago with Ash and whoever else was involved in this ring of AVI-propping and everything else-bashing, was there some choice moments? What could have happened.

I mean heck, there's no WAY it could have competed with the "SELL ALL YOUR SHIT NOW AND GET THIS JVC XJ-1010-NX-FRX-MX-MAX-ME" thing that was going on for a few months there.

Could it?

If you have the AVIs you don't need the JVC. You just show a picture of your favorite artist to the speakers, and they transform.

Of course you should buy the JVC anyway.

I for one am disappointed the DM10s are still only 300 times better. If they had raised their game and pushed toward 500 times better I might have been interested.

I for one am disappointed the DM10s are still only 300 times better. If they had raised their game and pushed toward 500 times better I might have been interested.

Perhaps I can reccomend these, and I quote,

" Devialet Phantoms are light years ahead of the legacy AVIs"

I think light years is even more than 500 times, gosh!

As I understand it the damping factor improvement of fully active systems around the crossover points when compared to passive crossovers is claimed to be 300 times better. That can't be a bad thing surely. It does not apply to the whole speaker, that would be ridiculous as is the remark about the Devialet Phantoms above.

Happy listening

Actually jc he asked what we thought about the noise on another forum and about the sound of the speakers.

They sound OK for a little powered box with limited inputs, the marketing is by far their more interesting side.

As I understand it the damping factor improvement of fully active systems around the crossover points when compared to passive crossovers is claimed to be 300 times better. That can't be a bad thing surely. It does not apply to the whole speaker, that would be ridiculous as is the remark about the Devialet Phantoms above.

Stop trying to be sensible! That's not what this thread is about.

I see this latest "marketing campaign" more of a desperate attempt to generate some interest for what seems to be a product that caters a really small part of the market.

What was written before by jcbrum how the "relatively young" desire a good sounding units, that don't clutter the living room, etc. is actually true.

What he missed out is that those same people also want products that seamlessly connect to all their "gadgets", preferably over wireless/bluetooth/airplay, which the AVI speakers have none.

Regarding sound quality and "cutting edge" technology packed into them... What do they really offer in comparison to their competition? Wooden boxes against custom moulded cabinets (aluminium, composites, etc)? They don't even offer some basic placement equalisation, while most of the competition (even cheaper ones!) offer at least that if not some DSP processing with room correction...

Just take a look how much technology is packed into much cheaper units like the Naim Mu-So offerings, not to mention the more premium ones like the KII Threes, Devialet Phantoms,....

The irony is that the "AVI-coined" expression "legacy" could now be applied to their own speakerettes. They are just not being able to follow all the innovations (which is no wonder giving their probably rather small R&D budget).

Add to all that a rather hefty price tag and constant fear that the company will not want to support them if/when they give up the ghost - who would even want to buy them? (Apart from the same couple of people who evidently buy every iteration of the AVI speakers and pat each other on the back claiming they have the best, most cutting edge speaker technology there is)

Admittedly I have only heard the first iteration of the speakers and certainly found them decent enough for the money. However, in that same demo room a pairing of an Exposure (forgot the model) integrated into Neat Motive (2, I think) gave an all round more enjoyable/complete sound... Think of that what you will...

I see this latest "marketing campaign" more of a desperate attempt to generate some interest for what seems to be a product that caters a really small part of the market.

What was written before by jcbrum how the "relatively young" desire a good sounding units, that don't clutter the living room, etc. is actually true.

What he missed out is that those same people also want products that seamlessly connect to all their "gadgets", preferably over wireless/bluetooth/airplay, which the AVI speakers have none.

Regarding sound quality and "cutting edge" technology packed into them... What do they really offer in comparison to their competition? Wooden boxes against custom moulded cabinets (aluminium, composites, etc)? They don't even offer some basic placement equalisation, while most of the competition (even cheaper ones!) offer at least that if not some DSP processing with room correction...

Just take a look how much technology is packed into much cheaper units like the Naim Mu-So offerings, not to mention the more premium ones like the KII Threes, Devialet Phantoms,....

The irony is that the "AVI-coined" expression "legacy" could now be applied to their own speakerettes. They are just not being able to follow all the innovations (which is no wonder giving their probably rather small R&D budget).

Add to all that a rather hefty price tag and constant fear that the company will not want to support them if/when they give up the ghost - who would even want to buy them? (Apart from the same couple of people who evidently buy every iteration of the AVI speakers and pat each other on the back claiming they have the best, most cutting edge speaker technology there is)

Admittedly I have only heard the first iteration of the speakers and certainly found them decent enough for the money. However, in that same demo room a pairing of an Exposure (forgot the model) integrated into Neat Motive (2, I think) gave an all round more enjoyable/complete sound... Think of that what you will...

I started this thread, and having read a lot about AViDM10 (and the subs) on the internet it is enough to get me interested, so I have joined the AVI forum and will look for someone who has the system lives reasonably near me and will kindly allow me to audition the system. There is one part of the above I agree with is that there is no dealer where I can go and normally audition the system. Also there is this fear that although AVI give two years warranty on the AVIDM10 system will the company still exist in two years time? However despite all the arguments against AVI I cannot ignore the product, the reported sonic benefits, the costs and also I can connect my component to the system and play my stored burned cd's. The reason I connect this post to vrazji's post is because it so neatly demonstrates what Alan Sircom says in his last sentence of his review of AVI DM10/10 sub loudspeaker system in hi fi + of this August issue which states ;- ' Regardless, AVI makes extremely good products that work well in domestic settings without costing a fortune, and the DM10and 10" Sub demonstrates that perfectly, if you can shake off your audiophile addiction (see above quoted post) and give up all those electrical boxes, the AVI system is recommended and well worth checking out'. :)

Nah, what I'm always saying is that they're much better than legacy hifi separates, passive speakers generally, and in particular, car-booter junk like big old Tannoys and other wardrobe style speakers using 60 year old crappy drivers, and horns.

The clarity and realism of DM10s is stunning.

JC

Marriage_Divorce.jpg

Do you hear these voices often, S-Man ?

JC

Anyone unfamiliar with AVI would do well to google how to detect shill advertising online.

Clarity and realism only pleases with the right source, music and device. Too much clarity of poor sound is a miserable experience. And I own AVI legacy so not attacking AVI!

advertisement

Back