advertisement

AVI DM10 - Active System

I assure you it is, but there are those who have not been able to accept it. Possibly due to commitment to legacy design concepts.

I've no personal axe to grind here, having no financial interests, but as a user I can confirm the benefits.

JC

JC you should be on the stage - "no axe to grind"; you've been sharpening that axe for so long you must be able to shave with it by now. If anyone doubts my comments they only have to look at what the rest of the speaker designing world are doing (many with access to significantly more R&D than a bloke in an industrial unit ;)). There are actually loads of active mini-monitor speakers, particularly in the pro world - you make out like AVI has invented the wheel :rolleyes:!

Don't get stung ;).

I'm baffled at why the manufacturer of square wooden boxes with class ab amplifiers, dynamic drivers and electronic crossovers would mean by "legacy".

[MARKETINGSPIN]"Bad News: Your equipment is archaic. Good News: we can provide you with something x300 better."[/MARKETINGSPIN]

It's a typo.

JC meant legendary, which speakers like the Electrovoice Patrician are.

117-16.jpg

Joe

Have a listen to those. Then imagine something that sounds twice as good. Then imagine something that sounds TEN TIMES as good. Then imagine something that sounds ONE HUNDRED TIMES as good.

You still aren't even close to the orgasmic sound of the AVIs, apparently.

Being too busy to trawl through the entire thread I would guess that 8 out of 10 contributions knocking AVI speakers have never heard them or intend to. Please accept my invitation to move on in your lives.
I do own and use DM 10s and 5s both for pleasure and professional use and do not want or need any substitutes.
The broadcast quality kit I use is mostly designed by small companies who are fanatical about their products too. The engineering behind AVI's products share the same philosophy as those companies whose products you experience when listening to music or watching feature films. It it what drew me to the company's products and I have faith in the results I obtain when mixing and editing audio for a living.

Being too busy to trawl through the entire thread I would guess that 8 out of 10 contributions knocking AVI speakers have never heard them or intend to. Please accept my invitation to move on in your lives.
This thread is about the sound of AVI marketing, not the sound of their speakers.

Perhaps you should have trawled through before commenting, because to do otherwise is like, oh, I don't know, commenting on the sound of speakers you've never heard.

Tim,

Several people have heard the previous ADM 9s and current DM5 and DM10s and do rate them highly.

It's the marketing that people object to.

Joe

I've heard ADM9s a number of times and although I've not heard their replacement I have no doubt that they offer a similarly good performance for the money. What I and others rather object to is the forum guerila marketing that their sales manager goes in for, half truths and semi-facts.

This thread is about the sound of AVI marketing, not the sound of their speakers.

Perhaps you should have trawled through before commenting, because to do otherwise is like, oh, I don't know, commenting on the sound of speakers you've never heard.

Thank you for the correction and Joe P too. Ashley's marketing did not put me off buying the product, nor was I surprised by the very high quality of the sound I heard from the speakers. I took the parodying of his claims here as a trashing of the product.

Personally, I'd love to hear some AVI speakers, if for no other reason than to find out just how bad my Shahinians suck. But they have zero presence on the left coast of the US, in my experience.

Tim,

It's not for me to decide, but if AVI speakers were simply marketed as excellent, compact active speakers that only need a source to be a system I think Ash would sell more.

I also think if they could be listed on Apple's site Ash would be farting gold dust, such would his fortunes grow.

Joe

I don't know Joe, surely the purpose of threads like this is to raise people's awareness of the product because that's primarily the issue when direct marketing something. JC does a really good job of keeping it bubbling along and if it raises the interest of a couple of potential customers then job done :) - some companies pay good money for such services ...... ;).

Mark,

Possibly, but if I were a looking for a product and found a similar thread about it I'd probably think twice rather than get out my credit card.

But I'm not a marketing guru and really don't know shit about sales so this is simply conjecture on my part.

Joe

I don't know Joe, surely the purpose of threads like this is to raise people's awareness of the product because that's primarily the issue when direct marketing something. JC does a really good job of keeping it bubbling along and if it raises the interest of a couple of potential customers then job done :) - some companies pay good money for such services ...... ;).

Nail on head!

Don't you just love AVI threads. Same old, same old. The usual suspects fall for it every time. :)

Tim,

It's not for me to decide, but if AVI speakers were simply marketed as excellent, compact active speakers that only need a source to be a system I think Ash would sell more.

I also think if they could be listed on Apple's site Ash would be farting gold dust, such would his fortunes grow.

Joe
This is incorrect. He has missed the market. Devialet Phantoms are light years ahead of the legacy AVIs, and they are available in Apple stores. No-one would even look at AVIs now.

In fact, the Dynaudio Xeos have taken over, in that they offer pretty much the same sound quality, but are wireless and bluetooth.

Ashley's big error is that, while he wants AVI to expand quickly to sell it for more, he's employing old tactics which were never appropriate. Instead of widening the range of distributors, getting his product reviewed wherever possible, and advertising in the magazines and forums, he's chosen shill marketing where the same tired old faces try to do the selling for him. They do it for free, but, as AVI are no doubt discovering, the world has moved on.

The very least AVI could do would be to add airplay and bluetooth, but they won't do the former, because it costs money, and presumably won't do the latter for the same reason either.

I'm not sure why he doesn't sell his speakers in audio-t or similar, I can only assume e's afraid that then people would discover they were nice budget speakers amongst many others, and that, as is always the case, many wouldn't particularly like their sound.

So, he, as marketing manager, is in a bit of a cleft stick. Sad, really, if he seriously wants to retire, although, he could of course, sell a Rolls Royce and thereby have a better package than many of us will.

advertisement

Back