advertisement

AVI DM10 - Active System

Romulus

pfm Member
On another forum the AVi DM10 appears to be gaining a name for high end sonic performance from an Active system at fraction of the cost of an average Active system. The AVI DM10 comprise of preamp, poweramps, crossover and speakers. Any one heard of them and what are your thoughts?

I've never heard them, but if it helps there's review of it/them in the new edition of Hifi Plus.

Romulus (cool, a Romulan),

A bloke by the user name of steve_1979 has a pair I believe. He'll probably see the thread, but you could try sending him a personal message if you'd like his opinion.

Joe

Here's a pic . . .

IMG_3014.jpg

Oops, sorry, wrong pic, those are some horrible old car-boot junk which LindsayT often recommends.

Here's the correct pic . . .

light-oak-dm10.jpg

JC

p.s. The black circle above the port is the receiver window for the infra-red remote control for the built-in pre-amp, DAC input selection, and volume level.

JC,

The best way to derail discussion is to post something provocative that's guaranteed to derail discussion.

Joe

I've had a quick look on the What Hi-Fi forum and there is an active thread - I'm not sure it fits the description in the original post (in fact it doesn't) - there is a lot of dirty laundry being aired though!

Alan Sircom gives them a very positive review and recommendation in this month's Hi-Fi Plus...which will no doubt have no effect whatsoever on the usual anti-AVI sentiment.

I've had ADM9T and ADM9RS as well as the DM5 and am sure the DM10 is better still.

Great value for money bearing in mind you only need a digital or analogue source..

My Martin Logan SL3 and Mark Levinson amplification surpass all my previous AVI stuff by a huge margin, but at significantly higher cost.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that that rug really ties the room together.

Joe

I'd love to hear a blind test between the AVI and the lovely Electrovoice Patrician 700s JCBrum thinks he's so clever posting. Lets just say one of these speakers is a highly efficient four-way with a 30" sub-bass unit (thirty!), 12" upper bass unit and two horns for mid and top, and, erm, the other isn't. I suspect you could fill a pair of Patricians with brand new AVIs for the price you'd have to pay for a good condition fully working/restored pair. A legendary speaker.

PS A little info about the EVs here.

I've had ADM9T and ADM9RS as well as the DM5 and am sure the DM10 is better still.

Great value for money bearing in mind you only need a digital or analogue source..

My Martin Logan SL3 and Mark Levinson amplification surpass all my previous AVI stuff by a huge margin, but at significantly higher cost.

I had ADM9R's and I thought they were lovely and tremendous VFM. Totally agree with Alan's old review of them.

However, they did not compare favourably to my main system I had at the time, nor would they with what I have now - which is to be expected.

Some of Ashley's comments make him look like a fool, which is a pity as his products are very good.

advertisement

Back