advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done

Status
Not open for further replies.
The IPKat is a popular intellectual property blog. This morning's entry speaks for the whole profession:

Dear Europe

We are sorry.

Not one person in the IPKat team wanted to be writing this post this morning. Least of all, me. Despite my moniker, I have spent over 20 years in the UK, over half of which has been devoted to the study and practice of European intellectual property law.

As lawyers, we are taught that cases turn on the evidence. Patent litigators will tell you that you win or lose on the credibility of your expert witness. Strong expert evidence, strong case, strong prospects of success.

The expert evidence was strong and unambiguous. The UK must remain with the Union to continue to enjoy economic and political security and progress. Business leaders, economists and heads of state all agreed that turning our backs on the European Union would spell disaster for the UK's economic future. Our Katonomist, Nicola Searle, says she has never seen economists so unanimous on a subject. They have so far turned out to be right with shares and the British pound plummeting to a 30 year low, this morning. Experienced politicians and security advisers agreed that retreating from Europe would result in social and political insecurity.

The UK IP profession was in favour of remaining. The negative impact on key innovative industries, including life sciences, could not be ignored.

On the cold, hard evidence, the UK should have voted to stay. But the Leave campaign was built on emotion. And instead of a judge, the vote went to a jury. And any good trial lawyer will tell you, emotion can often displace the evidence.

And that is why we are writing to you. We wanted to share our emotion this morning.

We are sad.

Many of us are angry.

Some are ashamed.

I am a European IP lawyer. The IPKat team is heavily comprised of European IP lawyers, with representatives from the UK, Ireland, Italy and Switzerland in our mix. Since the IPKat's founding in 2003, our blog's predominant focus has been on European IP developments. A large proportion of our readership is European.

Although the IPKat has often been critical of decisions of European institutions, whether that be of the CJEU in SPC and trade mark matters, or the manner in which the Unified Patent Court came to fruition, we and the creative and innovative industries have overwhelmingly benefited from the European Union. The harmonization of IP laws across such a significant marketplace has made it easier for industry to protect, exploit and enforce their IP. It has led to job creation and fostered a shared understanding of how to improve IP law and practice for the benefit of all.

The European Union has made us stronger and closer as a profession. At IP conferences, you often see mini reunions with UK lawyers running up to hug their German, French or Italian counterparts, opponents and friends. It has benefited our clients, as much as it has enriched our professional and personal lives.

This morning's result is not a reflection of our profession's respect or love for our European colleagues or European IP law. That, at least, remains.

We do not want to lose our bond and we will not. You are our colleagues. You are our friends.

One of the IPKat's key objectives is to bring our global IP community closer together by sharing IP decisions, legislation and practice from across the world with our readers. Our aim is that by fostering a shared understanding of our unique perspectives, we can work together to improve IP law for innovators, creators, users and the public.

The IPKat's objective is now even more important. We will be as engaged as ever in European IP law, sharing news and commentary from national and European courts. With our readers, the IPKat will continue to foster the strong bond with our European colleagues that we have so luckily enjoyed for over forty years.

In the coming weeks, months and years, there will be a lot of questions about what the European IP landscape looks like without the UK. We will keep you updated on the latest news and insight as matters progress.

But, for now, all we can say is - we are sorry.

Your friends

The IPKat Team

It's unacceptable that I am being taken out of the EU let alone the Scots.

Can I move to Scotland and seek asylum?

Merlin

I don't like the result either and I have a lot more to lose than you but we went through the deomocratic process and we lost fair and square.

Constant moaning belittles us. We have to accept the result with good grace and get on with our lives.

Regards

Mick

I appreciate it's always hard to find yourself in the minority but I'm not sure the ugly vitriol is really warranted. It does seem to be a feature of this campaign, perhaps some could learn from it, denigrating the intellectual capacity of your colleagues doesn't generally go down too well and in my experience generally backfires.

And right now the usual pontifications of impending disaster are a familiar feature. I'm almost glad leave won simply because I don't think I could quite stomach the manifestly superior crowing of the remainers.

Mick's approach seems sound; stop moaning and get on with it. I called it wrong and thought remain would carry the day but it hasn't so that's it.

More congratulations coming in ...

marine-le-pen.jpg

hero_image_main_2.jpg

Im glad the majority of the people voted out and even happier that teflon Dave has resigned....just a pity he doesnt go NOW !
He showed what a whimp he was when he came back from Brussels with sweet FA.
I think that its fabulous that the people of the UK have had the chance to voice their opinion and now we must move forward as we once did before the prats at the Euro HQ decided to take the country for a ride.
There will undoubtedly be a quick hit on the financial markets but that will be short lived then in years to come everyone will come to realise that today is Independence day ! :D:cool:

The IPKat is a popular intellectual property blog. This morning's entry speaks for the whole profession:

I am a European IP lawyer. The IPKat team is heavily comprised of European IP lawyers, with representatives from the UK, Ireland, Italy and Switzerland in our mix. Since the IPKat's founding in 2003, our blog's predominant focus has been on European IP developments. A large proportion of our readership is European.

But, for now, all we can say is - we are sorry.

Your friends

The IPKat Team

What a strange post from a European IP lawyer :D:D

Has he stopped to think what a complete and utter prat he looks like to everyone outside his little £500 per hour world :D

Sorry gassor but once again you're wrong and even Tony agrees ;), as he, like me reckons that a main driver of Brexit was the disaffected working class of the north, who voted in huge numbers for Brexit as a protest against Tory policies.

Tripe. It was a protest against continuing immigration.

"With leave voters in Manchester for BBCNews -most told us they woke up thinking "what have I done?" & didn't actually expect the uk to leave"

A great day for the UK, well done everyone who voted out, the people had their say & it was a resounding "OUT"

The majority in most parts, which has surprised me, in Wolverhampton 65% out, a virtual clean sweep for Birmingham, i was resigned to staying in with the strangle hold getting ever tighter as the years progressed, very happy man this morning.

For those who voted for the greater good rather than selfish, personal reasons, a big well done, it has restored my faith human nature.

If you don't mind me asking Mick, what do you think you'll loose by this result ?

CHE

A property in Spain that no Brit will want to buy, so its value will slide down. Also Spain have already stated that it will hit Brit owned property with a 35% tax as apposed to the normal 18%.

On the credit side, I have a pile of euros that will increase but I will certainly take an overall hit.

The main problem is if we lose the freedom of movement (admittedly very unlikely) it would make air travel cumbersome and expensive.

However the Brexiteers won fair and square so I will live with it.

Mick

Tripe. It was a protest against continuing immigration.
Nobody knows for sure what it was. I imagine a combination of things, including immigration, the effects of it on the labour market, and a big fat Northern up yours to the PM who thought all he had to do was say jump and the plebs would say how high.

Now Dave has to jump :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back