advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00101110)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Selectable MC "0Ohms" Current mode operation (adjustable Gain setting) for L3 MM/MC.

Anything else?

Now that the Digital PCB is in design we have confirmed the Digital I/O's & the complete sampling frequencies supported for both the ADC + DAC modes.

Once thing for sure is that a quality turntable setup gets expensive very quickly when you factor the turntable, Arm, Cartridge (and Pre-amplifier for our comparative listening tests), isolation platform, cartridge scales etc. :(

£ 6.25 is as accurate as you can get, more important is that the weighing platform is at platter height.
Place some tissue on the platform (zero weight after ! ) to protect the expensive dangly thing. :)

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=201163128057

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
£ 6.25 is as accurate as you can get, more important is that the weighing platform is at platter height.
Place some tissue on the platform (zero weight after ! ) to protect the expensive dangly thing. :)

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=201163128057

Yes - I bought one of these - I could see no benefit in the more expensive units?

I even had to buy Screws for the cartridge - I'm still alittle intimated by the idea of setting up the turntable... Digital is so easy :)

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Yes around GBP150 - the unit is sold at cost on top of the GBP50 development fee - but the US$/GBP exchange rate fluctuation do not hep :( - we pay for production in US$

So, GBP150 TOTAL... or GBP150+GBP50 development?

Sorry, this colonist from across the pond having trouble with Queen's English! :D

Either way, seems like a bargain!

Thanks.

Sorry, this colonist from across the pond having trouble with Queen's English! :D

Thanks.

BigDog,

Sorry GBP150 + GBP50 development :)

The unit is sold at cost so it could be less then GBP150... but with the GBP doing silly things verse the US$ its not for sure.

Thanks.

I reckon it will be the latter...the design specifications (CNC especially for the up-rated chassis) added more cost than first predicted and we all wanted the best possible looking little thing possible.:)

The recent down turn in the value of the pound may work out favorably for colonists to the west.....just remembered China uses the US$ ....so maybe nothing to be had....ho hum!

Agree with you ..... The darn thing is pretty and very exclusive...a must have for the cost!

I just noted above....JohnW, just clarified costs.

Hi Simon,

I just sent you a PM with details.

Here's a simple table with costs:-

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86116171/FDAC Cost Breakdown.jpg

I suspect that "At Cost" for the L3/L3 MM/MC is a little on the high side, but with GBP/US$ doing what it is ATM, its hard to be precise.

The PCB's are populated during production so the only way to update from L3 to L3MM/MC (Phono) after the fact would be to replace the whole analogue section - which is costly and would require to be returned to the Czech Rep....

John,

I'm looking into cost effective hardwear for streaming options either to use with an external hard drive or NAS, not decided yet. There seem to be several Raspberry PI type options out there including, Udoo, Beaglebone Black, cubox, Odroid etc. Wil these all be compatible with the Fdac? I really like the idea of putting one of these diminutive devices together, excellent value for money too!

Well the FDAC will have integrated "BeagleBone hardware" so its possible that with later software releases we can have in internal streamer - it very much depends how much interest we get from 3rd party software developers.

We plan to offer internal SBT support with a software release.

Boho, I think my MDAC just lost the ability to put out sound through the analogue out.
Works like a charm with headphone out, but no sound otherwise.
Tried plugging/unplugging the headphones and releays seams to click as it used to, but still no sound out the analogue out.
Tried to power cycle (many times), still nothing.
Tried another firmware (from A08 to A10), still nothing.

Any ideas what to do?

The headphone output is the same as the main outputs - its really really really unlikely you would have both relays fail on the Main outputs at the same time... more likely the power amplifier...

Try V0.90 software... but really I cannot see how the headphone can work but not either of the main outputs it has been known for a relay to fail on one output but not both at the same time...

The power amp is okay, tried with another source.
Must be the relays then?
Something is clicking when plugging/unplugging the headphones, but might be the relays for HP only? Guessing there are a set of relays on the analogue out too?

I just don't see both relays failing at the same time - was your unit not here recently?

Please try V0.90 software

Please power off, then power on and see if you can hear the main output mute relays operate after say 10 seconds without the headphones plugged in.

I've read so much positive info around roon, that although I've not run the trial myself due to time and next release functionality, I've been reading the roon forums a bit.

After reading Johns post above about beagle bone, I then found this on the Roon site;

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/beagle-bone-black/2644

So if I've understood what I've read on there and here - i'm assuming it should be possible for the FDAC to be a roon endpoint. Is that a fair interpretation?

No, my unit has been with me since I bought it.
Will try your suggestions tomorrow after work.
Dont know if I have the 0.90 firmware for Mac though. I dont have a windows machine availible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back