advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00101110)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jiri:
the main issue is that the compilation is running on virtual machine, not actuall hardware. So now we need to get hands on some computer that I would just connect to the network. Im looking for some LGA1366 workstations, even dual socket maybe...quite cheap but still powerfull with 32nm Gluft based chips. Also usefull for git, Qt compilation...

Second, we don't need to rebuilt kernel that often, you are right. We are editing current drivers for different pinmuxes and making sure McASP interface can handle 8 channels and so on... Also the LCD drivers, they are directly in kernel itself and we needed to edit them.

Every other driver uses DTB, that means we are good.

What hypervisor are you using?

Jiri:
the main issue is that the compilation is running on virtual machine, not actuall hardware. So now we need to get hands on some computer that I would just connect to the network. Im looking for some LGA1366 workstations, even dual socket maybe...quite cheap but still powerfull with 32nm Gluft based chips. Also usefull for git, Qt compilation...

Second, we don't need to rebuilt kernel that often, you are right. We are editing current drivers for different pinmuxes and making sure McASP interface can handle 8 channels and so on... Also the LCD drivers, they are directly in kernel itself and we needed to edit them.

Every other driver uses DTB, that means we are good.
Virtual machine shouldn't really matter as long as you're running HVM. These days, an outdated mainstream sandy bridge (or skylake, 1151) works just fine - as said, I'm getting 4 minutes as kernel compilation time with reasonably limited config - it's the drivers for all the peripheral devices that take most of the time during distro-config rebuilds, which take about 1 hour here.
As 44000khz mentioned, though, if you have the disk space, ccache works really well.

About LCD drivers - right, if you need to compile them in, you're right. :( If "directly in kernel itself" was meant to be "in the upstream source tree", you could still copy the .c / .h out and compile out-of-tree, it's what I used to do for undervolting a C2D CPU and found it more maintainable, maybe something to consider. :) I would understand if you chose not to do that and maintain the patches in git, though.

For the rest - sure, makes sense, thanks for the explanation. Here was me hoping I'd be able to run FDAC on a vanilla kernel. :rolleyes:

Coll,

Even "If" the we ended up at 88mm then little ventilation is required as the whole chassis of the FDAC is the radiating heatsink area - we will like to avoid ventilation holes on the lid.

Thanks John put my mind at ease.

I never touch my knob...

Remote only! Happy with a hermaphrodite front panel and web interface...
Well, there are men and women who touch their knobs and for those, a good old fashioned knob cannot be substituted by a recessed dust collector (just imagine how easily can breadcrumbs get into that knob clearance space)!
Power to the knobs!

:)

It mainly the flushness (?) that appeals, rather than the dust collector - if I'm unlikely to grasp the knob, then having something flush that I can manipulate with a fingertip, is more my thing.

However, the MDAC sits beside my wife, who is much more of a knob grapser than I am, and when I get over-excited with my wand, tends to find a swift twist on the knob, restores some sanity to the evening.

Well, there are men and women who touch their knobs and for those, a good old fashioned knob cannot be substituted by a recessed dust collector (just imagine how easily can breadcrumbs get into that knob clearance space)!
Power to the knobs!

Having clean hands when touching your knobs will avoid issues with both breadcrumbs and other contamination! :D

Power to the knobs!

Never mind the breadcrumbs. I commented a while back that the FDAC is going to be a lifetime purchase for a lot of us. During that time a lot of you will join those of us oldies who are already getting arthritic fingers, and at that stage it doesn't matter too much what it looks like if you can't turn it. The Detox is much less of a problem since John thinks it will be a set and forget item.

Never mind the breadcrumbs. I commented a while back that the FDAC is going to be a lifetime purchase for a lot of us. During that time a lot of you will join those of us oldies who are already getting arthritic fingers, and at that stage it doesn't matter too much what it looks like if you can't turn it. The Detox is much less of a problem since John thinks it will be a set and forget item.
Hah! We will see about that!

(*goes back to researching the elixir of youth*)

Hah! We will see about that!

(*goes back to researching the elixir of youth*)

Not a lot of success for that programme over the last few millennia, but you can always try cryogenics if you can face the consequences in the unlikely event that it works......

It appears from the pics posted that John has designed the knob to have knurling which would allow operation with the tip of even an arthritic finger, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back