advertisement

Looking for a pre that is better than Naim NAC52

Naim2

pfm Member
Hi All,

I am looking for a better pre amp than an Naim NAC52 (tube or solid state)Please let me know your suggestions (other than nac552).

Many thanks

David

I'd just buy a good integrated. In my case I moved from a 52/scap/250/ 32.5/hicap/mono 110s. to the NAD M3. Also unlike the Naim offerings it is actually quite a powerful amplifier.

What CD/DAC do you have? Sometimes going direct in can be better than using a pre. But it is a case of suck it and see, the same with the Music First mentioned above, in some cases there is literally nothing to beat it, but I've heard it sound lifeless and flat in others...

A pre amp should be transparent.
Keith.
That rather rules out anything from Naim.

OP, if you like the Naim sound, then nothing is better than a 52. If you don't, then almost nothing is worse.

If you want to change the presentation, then the choices are many.

The end of my Naim system was caused by sending my NAC82 away for servicing at Naim, it cost a stupid amount of money to change a handful of capacitors, took ages, and in the mean time I had to lash up a passive pot from some bits I had in the garage. Putting the newly serviced 82 and its three PSUs back into the system was a huge disappointment... preamps can only degrade the sound - in fact every component can only degrade - you can't add quality - but I was surprised that my lash up was better than the 82. A 52 is probably better than an 82, but in the end, you may find simplifying the chain may reap great dividends.

A very transparent pre amp is the Music First Classic Copper TVC, lovely thing.

True. They don't seem to come up very often second-hand though. Users tend to stick to them. I think my Baby Reference will see me out (unless Jonathan comes up with something better).

VERY different to a 52 (or 552 come to that)

Always interested to understand how someone determines if something is 'transparent', how do you know?

A very transparent pre amp is the Music First Classic Copper TVC, lovely thing.

I would agree totally. I ran mine with Avondale and valve power amps as well as my current American hybrid.

The ability to mix balanced and single-ended inputs is also rather useful.

RE post 9 - I have kept mine as a "luxury spare" since I got something more lively but not necessarily as neutral or quiet (and a couple of times more expensive) against the day I have to get it serviced.

There is a Dynavector L300 up for sale on this forum at a good price. A self contained preamp (no separate power supplies needed) that quite a few seem to regard as one of the best preamps you can get.

ps - I am not connected to the sale.

Provided the first pre-amp is truly 'a wire with gain.' Gosh, this reminds me of the old Quad canard.

As the OP hasn't stated what he doesn't like about the 52 or in what way he would like it to be bettered I don't see that any useful suggestions for potential replacements can be made.

I inherited my father's newly serviced 52 and put itin my second system. I thought it was silly to have such an expensive preamp in a second system and bought a second hand TEAD Vibe. To my amazement I thought the Vibe did the Naim boogie as well, but with all the "round earth" bits like imaging as well. I still have it 8 years later and am delighted with it. I also pocketed quite a lot of money when I sold the 52 (Naim do keep their prices well).

Nic P

advertisement

Back