advertisement

New boots

I used to own DM boots years ago and their current Chelsea ones look good.

If you want proper footwear, you should try Church's.

I bought a pair of their Chelsea boots just after Xmas. Mine don't have leather soles, but replaceable rubber ones. To have them resoled is £100.

Church's were established in 1873 in Northampton. They used to make traditional English shoes and boots, but are now owned by Prada and have extended their range.

Church's aren't cheap. A leather-soled pair of Chelsea boots I nearly bought were £475. Nonetheless, they are very comfortable, look great and last a long time.

Jack

I used to own DM boots years ago and their current Chelsea ones look good.

If you want proper footwear, you should try Church's.

I bought a pair of their Chelsea boots just after Xmas. Mine don't have leather soles, but replaceable rubber ones. To have them resoled is £100.

Church's were established in 1873 in Northampton. They used to make traditional English shoes and boots, but are now owned by Prada and have extended their range.

Church's aren't cheap. A leather-soled pair of Chelsea boots I nearly bought were £475. Nonetheless, they are very comfortable, look great and last a long time.

Jack

Correct. My father bought 4 pairs of Church shoes in 1946 when be became a GP, a further 4 pairs in 1962, and 2 pairs in 1968 (when they were, I think 8 quid a pair). From then until his death in 1991, he bought no more shoes -- they were all in good condition, but regrettably not my size.

There was quite a lot of resoling done over the time, though -- but no other repairs required. And he had a veritable forest of shoe-trees.

I think those Chelsea boots by DM look hideous, sorry. I just want boots I can wear with jeans that can also dress up a bit. The slade ones are epic. I'd look a complete tit in them though.......

I think there's an age when Converse is no good either. I reached that about twenty years ago.

Who makes those baseball style pumps you pictured?

The hi-top ones are Converse although the Harris Tweed thing was a special edition years ago and I doubt you would be able to buy them now.

The Donegal Tweed low tops come from The Hill Side via Hickoree's

A pair of Red Wings coming, and I treated them to a care kit..... We'll see what the postman brings tomorrow.

Excellent. Now you have a pair of Red Wings, you just need to grow a beard and, if my experience is any guide, you will soon be receiving invites to "Boots Only" evenings at disreputable South London clubs.

Long tradition of Tweed on boots and indeed all sorts of footwear.

TheHill-SideSneakersLowTopNayDonegalTweed_SN2-222_L1.jpg

$200 for a pair of pumps, bargain right there.;)

Damn you Matthew, I've been slavishly learning to use a DE razor, and now you tell me I need to grow a beard. I'm always just too far behind the PFM zeitgeist.

Do tell me of these 'Boots Only' nights. I do like the sound of these disreputable South London clubs though.

I'll throw in my perennial recommendation for Seattle-based Fluevog. Some of the styles are a bit out there, but they cover a fair bit of ground.

Edit: These days I'm in a pair of Vans slip-ons about 90% of the time, but I still love my Fluevogs.

I think those Chelsea boots by DM look hideous, sorry.
The DM Chelseas are not going to work well with rolled up or loose fitting jeans, but do go v.nicely with slim unfaded selvedge jeans cut to fall on the ankles.
Enjoy the Redwings!

The DM Chelseas are not going to work well with rolled up or loose fitting jeans, but do go v.nicely with slim unfaded selvedge jeans cut to fall on the ankles.
Enjoy the Redwings!

Although all jeans should be worn of the correct length and preferably uncuffed. This trend for turning wearing jeans like a pair of capri pants needs to stop now.

The DMs Cooky linked I think is just a bad photo that has given them a somewhat rubbery look. In real life they will look massively better.

Well they're here, going to take a little breaking in that's for sure. They smell gorgeous, and look great, just what I'd hoped, the quality of the leather is amazing. Best of all the crepe should and the dark leather looks fantastic.

Anyone got any breaking in tips?

advertisement

Back