advertisement

New boots

This is the DM style I particularly like 'Conrad Chelsea boot', sort of half boot half shoe, fit like a glove so soft n comfy.

16901071363_94cb065395.jpg

Blundstone.....no need to thank me

^^ this. I've been wearing these since 1996, on my 5th pair (I think), they're good boots, look near new with a little beeswax dressing. light, comfortable, hard wearing. Wear em with jeans, shorts, cargo pants. Get em muddy, dusty, or wear em in business class.

The two options listed by the OP are boots you have to talk about before buying. Would you really walk around in a pair of boots with "Panama Jacks" stamped on the sides?! :eek: The redwings are nice.

A step up from Blundstones, go RM Williams.

I have that exact pair of boots and they are never off my feet. Very comfy, low maintenance (bit of the correct boot oil about once a month) and utterly gorgeous pull up leather. They last forever, are Goodyear welted and look better and better as they age.

Red-Wing-Chukka-with-nitrile-cork-outsole.jpg

They are aging beautifully - great patina. You can probably sell them for more than you paid, Matthew!

Because I move about so quickly all my chelsea boots end up looking like this! Flattering and subtle at the same time.

$_57.JPG

I'm loving this thread!!

I like Doc Martens, but don't it when they keep using the big soles on on the shoes.

I bought a pair of these recently, I quite like them http://www.soletrader.co.uk/camper-36701-boots/c36701bn/

Camper make some comfy shoes.

I live really close to the Doc Marten factory shop, it's nice to pick up seconds at stupid prices. Also, Barkers are making nice boots at the moment. not chukka/desert boots, but nice.

They will look less like something you would wear for cleaning up especially grizzly crime scenes when worn in.

I think grizzly crime scenes would be about the only occasion you'd catch me wearing them.

Who makes those baseball style pumps you pictured?

^^ this. I've been wearing these since 1996, on my 5th pair (I think), they're good boots, look near new with a little beeswax dressing. light, comfortable, hard wearing. Wear em with jeans, shorts, cargo pants. Get em muddy, dusty, or wear em in business class.

The two options listed by the OP are boots you have to talk about before buying. Would you really walk around in a pair of boots with "Panama Jacks" stamped on the sides?! :eek: The redwings are nice.

A step up from Blundstones, go RM Williams.

Or Redbacks, for that matter -- a worthy contender in the "antipodean" category. Bought a pair in Christchurch in 2006 on impulse (usually inadvisable), but they've been superbly practical and very hardwearing. Best thing is that they're one of the few not to use that ghastly flocked nylon stinky lining, which ruins many other boots.

It hadn't occured to me that boots can still have a 'Slade factor'. I'm guessing they rate around 72%.

I think you're right though -- they can. And while appreciating all the undoubted benefits of DMs, I've personally never been able to get past that bungy translucent sole (even though it clearly 'works' in all other respects), as to me it always implies the shiny two-tone trousers, Crombie coat and fake hankerchief, even if they're not actually there.

More suedehead than Sladehead, perhaps.

I think you're right though -- they can. And while appreciating all the undoubted benefits of DMs, I've personally never been able to get past that bungy translucent sole (even though it clearly 'works' in all other respects), as to me it always implies the shiny two-tone trousers, Crombie coat and fake hankerchief, even if they're not actually there.

More suedehead than Sladehead, perhaps.

I guess it's my age, but DMs in anything other than cherry brown or black just look hopelessly wrong to me! I used to wear nothing else in the '80s along with the rest of the new-wave/indie kid uniform of leather jacket, t-shirt and black 501s! The DM is a design classic and shouldn't be altered IMO. My only boots at present are a pair of classic Timberland 10061 (I used to work for them as a IT contractor). On this thread I like the Red Wings Matthew photographed and the fairly similar ones Richard is considering. Might get a pair at some point.

If I was going to commit a grizzly crime then those DMs would be ideal as you wouldn't want to mess up a nice pair of shoes. You wouldn't find Tony Soprano in a pair of DMs.

advertisement

Back