advertisement

September 9th for Beatles mono LPs...

Thinking of the same order. And with the same reservations.

It's not really a reservation, more an observation.

I guess I'm quite lucky in not having forked out for any previous vinyl or CD box sets, and indeed until now having only the red and blue compilations from the 1970s. I'm very pleased with the Mono set, and hope the last two in stereo are of more or less equal quality. The monos are an object lesson in how any modern pressing should sound.

I was going to buy a first/second press of LIB too last week but frankly the music on the record just doesn't appeal to me apart from the title track.

Interesting. LIB is in my opinion their best album by a country light year. Their swan song really. Apart from the title track.

Working my way thru the box set and am in danger of wearing out Rubber Soul. However Revolver seems to suffer in comparison, dynamics seem a bit restrained. Compared it with the 2012 Stereo which seems to my ears to have a fuller sound. Has anyone else compared these 2 albums?

You are the first person I've heard say this... and I thank you for it because it echoes my own observations. Revolver was the first of the new mono LPs that I listened to and it really didn't grab me as much as I expected it too. I then went to the stereo box and pulled out Revolver... Better I'm thinking...

It is true that each album has it's own sound....but why would that be surprising? Revolver and Rubber Soul both sound wonderful to me, although differently recorded.
What both achieve is the ability to make sense of the recording, and songs. They thrill me, so much so that I've bought the whole set off a fellow PFM member, who had a spare set.
This sort of authenticity and creative genius is vanishingly rare in any historical period. We should be glad to be handed such an opportunity.

Up to Revolver today. Sounds good to me, but don't have the stereo version to compare.

Does anyone sometimes find it hard to remember these are mono? I'm even using the mono button on my phono stage, and most of the time I swear I am hearing a left/right soundstage, albeit arranged in a triangle, such that there's a point of focus at the front, but spreads wider behind.

Probably just me!

Ian,

Wait until you play Lucy in the Diamonds with Sky.

Joe

Ian,

I dunno, man. I did a lot of LDS in the '60s and my head the same has quite not been since.

Joe

I've heard some needledrops and it seems to me the EQ vinyl/CD is similar, not identical but then you have to account for the cartridge etc so hard to tell.

I suspect the difference in sound is elsewhere, whether the source, some other kind of mastering effects, or just that vinyl magic :)

Tim

I succumbed and bought it on Tuesday. Really impressed with the first 2 albums. The Rockbox where I got it, have only 3 left and cannot get anymore.

I succumbed and bought it on Tuesday. Really impressed with the first 2 albums. The Rockbox where I got it, have only 3 left and cannot get anymore.

Think I read a thread on AV Forums from a trader saying that the next release of the boxset will be November sometime.

This thread is eroding my resolve.

Never had you pegged as a Beatles fan but bet you'd like The White Album. The mono recording of this is great fun. I don't think I recall listening to the entire fourth side ever until recently acquiring this box.

Haven't bought the monos but have just got the 2009 Stereo box set and it sounds fantastic to me. The bass on rubber souls 'what goes on' sounds great.

Are the monos much better?

Haven't bought the monos but have just got the 2009 Stereo box set and it sounds fantastic to me. The bass on rubber souls 'what goes on' sounds great.

Are the monos much better?

Its nice to have both, though rather extravagant but if you're a fan why not. The mono mixes have interesting differences.

I have all the 2009 cd's, Revolver, Sgt Pepper, White Album and Abbey Road stereo vinyl and the mono vinyl box set, oh and the red and blue album's cd and vinyl.

I'm sorted.

advertisement

Back