advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part XXVIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.
John,

Try to leave the unit powered for say minute - Does anything come up on the display?

You could also try connecting to your PC and trying to reload the software (if you can).

If nothing helps, then Best get your unit shipped to me ASAP - I'll also see if I can arrange a unit for you as Christmas nears...

Hey Stilgoe, everybody got you pegged with your very first post on here, so there really is no need for you to carry on posting. Ever try a bit of introspection? No, thought not.

LOL, pegged with my first post! I've owned an MDAC for a short period so I'm allowed an opinion aren't I? My first post on this thread was assisting a bryston owner match some balanced cables with his new MDAC. No other bryston owners piped up ,so I did. What's wrong with that? Just because I didn't give an over enthusiastic account of my experience with the MDAC doesn't make my opinion any less valid than yours.

Hi Revluga, There were quite a few recommendations several pages back, but most popular around here seems to be all varieties of current dumping Quads, 909, 606, 303 etc, and then the DIY n-cores if you're brave and prepared to work (maybe tipping the £1000). The A21, if you can find one for £750 and your house needs a bit of extra warmth is just great (or older HCA2200mkii, like mine!). Primare power amps offer a fully balanced option (A30.2).

Just read your post again, you didn't want a list - sorry for adding to the option paralysis!

No problem thanks you for a list it gives me options so I can do some research on what is best for my setup

Anyway know of a 4 Core cable with Shield + PTFE insulator, the only thing that concerns be about the Van Damme Tour Grade Classic XKE Starquad is the XLPE Cross linked polyethylene Insulation Material, which is not the best dielectric.

It might be worth having a look at DMX cable - screened twisted pair without the foo. Whether there's a 4-core variant or not, I have no idea

John,
Try to leave the unit powered for say minute - Does anything come up on the display?
You could also try connecting to your PC and trying to reload the software (if you can).
If nothing helps, then Best get your unit shipped to me ASAP - I'll also see if I can arrange a unit for you as Christmas nears...
Yes, after roughly 45 seconds I get the Lakewest logo and 'No Comms'. What would the correct procedure be for attempting to reload the software (I'm running on a Mac)? Do I wait for the No Comms message?

Yes, after roughly 45 seconds I get the Lakewest logo and 'No Comms'. What would the correct procedure be for attempting to reload the software (I'm running on a Mac)? Do I wait for the No Comms message?

What was the original fault that you sent me your unit ?

"No Comms" normally indicates a failed clock circuit - but I've also seen other causes...

Getting closer to MDAC2, second installment in place.

/Lars

No not quite yet, as I've yet to issue the PCB but in the next few days... I'm just trying to get IanM and ALE79 MDAC out... maybe by tomorrow evening...

What was the original fault that you sent me your unit ?

"No Comms" normally indicates a failed clock circuit - but I've also seen other causes...
I can't remember - I think it was something to do with occasionally losing all sound output, requiring a power cycle. Hasn't had that problem since the modded version came back all those months ago...

JohnW: is there anything I can try from this end, or does it need to come back to you? Obviously, I'd rather save the hassle and expense of a round-trip, especially as the MDAC2 update will likely change out whatever bit isn't working properly, but if it needs to come back then I guess it needs to come back.

I've managed to borrow a 2-input valve-based preamp so that I can have some music in the meantime - it's connected SBT analogue outputs into the pre, and then unbalanced outputs into the ATCs, so not ideal - but it doesn't sound too bad, really - quite pleasant. The biggest difficulty is the gain matching - it's just a bit too quiet, but running without my 20dB attenuators causes very noticeable levels of hum. However, it's quite good to have a very different component in the system for a bit (thanks, Simon, btw!).

I take it that your MDAC2 timescales are just a bit too far away for me to sit it out? I could manage a month or so without my MDAC, but any longer starts to seem like a loooong time!!

JohnW: is there anything I can try from this end, or does it need to come back to you? Obviously, I'd rather save the hassle and expense of a round-trip, especially as the MDAC2 update will likely change out whatever bit isn't working properly, but if it needs to come back then I guess it needs to come back.

I've managed to borrow a 2-input valve-based preamp so that I can have some music in the meantime - it's connected SBT analogue outputs into the pre, and then unbalanced outputs into the ATCs, so not ideal - but it doesn't sound too bad, really - quite pleasant. The biggest difficulty is the gain matching - it's just a bit too quiet, but running without my 20dB attenuators causes very noticeable levels of hum. However, it's quite good to have a very different component in the system for a bit (thanks, Simon, btw!).

I take it that your MDAC2 timescales are just a bit too far away for me to sit it out? I could manage a month or so without my MDAC, but any longer starts to seem like a loooong time!!

After I've shipped IanM & ALE79 Units I'll repair one of the salvaged units PCB I've here and ship it to you - then over phone I can talk you though the Mainboard PCB swap - its also a good trial run for the MDAC2 Mainboard upgrade... It would be good for feedback on the "difficulty" level of a board swap...

After I've shipped IanM & ALE79 Units I'll repair one of the salvaged units PCB I've here and ship it to you - then over phone I can talk you though the Mainboard PCB swap - its also a good trial run for the MDAC2 Mainboard upgrade... It would be good for feedback on the "difficulty" level of a board swap...
OK, sounds like a plan. Any tools/etc. that I'll need in advance, or is it just torx screwdrivers and the like?

That'll get me going again, thanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back