advertisement

MDAC first listen (part XXII)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Asides for waiting the resistors, I'm also very eager to receive JohanH unit - I'm very much hoping that either Johan's unit is faulty or I've made an error during the rebuild to explain why Johan finds his upgraded unit fatiguing... its has be worried.... I've listen over and over and the L2MDAC is completely opposite... smoother more analogue without a hint of fatigue... I really wonder what's wrong...

Hopefully it will arrive here tomorrow (the floods have caused disruption here in CZ),

John

Hello John,

I'm partly hoping that you will agree with my findings in this.
The MDAC was very good before and when it came back not so much.
If you don't find anything wrong (apart from the relay) something would be faulty elsewhere in the chain, but I'm struggling to think what that might be.
So yes, also eagerly waiting for your findings.
But please don't worry, everything will be ok in the end

Johan

Still in the US I think... I guess the processing by "Castle Donnington" in the UK was just for pre-customs clearance or some such... :( waiting... they did say they would arrive by Friday - I just hope they don't get held up by the floods here in CZ...

Philadelphia, PA, United States 06/04/2013 6:40 A.M. Arrival Scan

Louisville, KY, United States 06/04/2013 5:00 A.M. Departure Scan

06/04/2013 1:07 A.M. Arrival Scan

Greenville, SC, United States 06/04/2013 12:10 A.M. Departure Scan

Castle Donnington, United Kingdom 06/04/2013 3:28 A.M. Package data processed by brokerage. Waiting for clearance.

Greer, SC, United States 06/03/2013 10:23 P.M. The service selected is not available to the destination address. / Downgraded, forwarded to consignee, selected service is not available.

Greenville, SC, United States 06/03/2013 9:00 P.M. Arrival Scan

Spartanburg, SC, United States 06/03/2013 8:30 P.M. Departure Scan

06/03/2013 2:21 P.M. Origin Scan

United States 06/03/2013 9:50 P.M. Order Processed: Ready for UPS

That's better! Thanks fot the update :)

Acrylic ReSponse Minis have already arrived to house MDAC + PSU.

3 different coax interconnects are on order to try, two with WBT 0110 nextgen ag connectors and one with Oyaide pure silver cable (to reduce incoming vibration) + a cheapie.

I will also consider optical.

Then I could sell the CDQ and buy either a Rega Apollo R or Westlake MTRN with the proceeds. That way the MDAC L2 gets pride-of-place alongside one of these half-width transports.

One day.... :)

Right, BEER! I had a couple of pints of Bathams and Holdens Black Country Bitter sat outside the Great Western in the SUN yesterday evening. On my way out I picked up a four-pint carry-out of the Holdens Bitter, "to tek it om wi' ya," as it said on the side of the plastic pressure container. Now in the fridge, I will enjoy that later SAT OUTSIDE in the SUNSHINE :p :p

Floods? That's what we had last year :(

Nice weather for ducks (or swans.) :(

I do sincerely hope the weather improves soon over there even if that means it deteriorates here. In the meantime, hoping nothing gets damaged and nobody is injured or worse.

John, that isn't YOUR window, is it?

My MDAC arrived safely with John today. I thought it might have been delayed in Prague but all seems to have gone smoothly.

John, that isn't YOUR window, is it?

Thankfully no - although its a much nicer location / house then where we are!

We have been flooded twice since 2002 - watching the local river... we might have to move everything up to the upper floors... the basements the real issue - I've a lot of equipment etc down there :(

Hello John,

I'm partly hoping that you will agree with my findings in this.
The MDAC was very good before and when it came back not so much.
If you don't find anything wrong (apart from the relay) something would be faulty elsewhere in the chain, but I'm struggling to think what that might be.
So yes, also eagerly waiting for your findings.
But please don't worry, everything will be ok in the end

Johan

I'm very much hoping as well, as this means there's something wrong with your unit which can be easily resolved... otherwise... :(

We have been flooded twice since 2002 - watching the local river... we might have to move everything up to the upper floors... the basements the real issue - I've a lot of equipment etc down there :(

I hope the river behaves and the flood stops quickly. :p

But I hope the flood of MDACs remains though.
No personal interest here of course. :D

Michael

That's better! Thanks fot the update :)

Acrylic ReSponse Minis have already arrived to house MDAC + PSU.

3 different coax interconnects are on order to try, two with WBT 0110 nextgen ag connectors and one with Oyaide pure silver cable (to reduce incoming vibtration) + a cheapie.

I will also consider optical.

Then I could sell the CDQ and buy either a Rega Apollo R or Westlake MTRN with the proceeds. That way the MDAC L2 gets pride-of-place alongside one of these half-width transports.

One day.... :)

Right, BEER! I had a couple of pints of Bathams and Holdens Black Country Bitter sat outside the Great Western in the SUN yesterday evening. On my way out I picked up a four-pint carry-out of the Holdens Bitter, "to tek it om wi' ya," as it said on the side of the plastic pressure container. Now in the fridge, I will enjoy that later SAT OUTSIDE in the SUNSHINE :p :p

Floods? That's what we had last year :(

We're actually having nice weather up here in Scotland for a change! Recommended beers for sunny and normal weather: Deuchar's IPA, Arran Red Squirrel, Arran Sunset preferably on draught. Bottled Deuchar's is no where as good as draught, but bottles of the Arran beer's are delicious out the fridge too :D

Thankfully no - although its a much nicer location / house then where we are!

Including my DAC? :eek:

We're actually having nice weather up here in Scotland for a change! Recommended beers for sunny and normal weather: Deuchar's IPA, Arran Red Squirrel, Arran Sunset preferably on draught. Bottled Deuchar's is no where as good as draught, but bottles of the Arran beer's are delicious out the fridge too :D

Deuchars IPA is nice, as is Harviestoun Schiehallion :) Scottish beers rock!

Can I use both analogue outputs on the MDac at the same time? I cannot find a note in the manual to say you can't but I don't want to ***k it up...just like to check.

TIA

Can I use both analogue outputs on the MDac at the same time? I cannot find a note in the manual to say you can't but I don't want to ***k it up...just like to check.

TIA

Yes you can use both RCA and XLR at the sametime, SQ might be degraded a tad - just depends upon the system.

L2MDAC's due to there lower "Native" output impedance will be happier to drive both sets of outputs then standard MDAC's.

Yes you can use both RCA and XLR at the sametime, SQ might be degraded a tad - just depends upon the system.

L2MDAC's due to there lower "Native" output impedance will be happier to drive both sets of outputs then standard MDAC's.

Tanks John

going to hook up the sub and......hear whats what.

Dear john, thank you so much for your reply. On the display is written: "Scanning for match" for all the test and the files resolution (44.1 or 96). Nothing else as passed test or failed test. Why? I also try to playing the file test directly from itunes but the result is the same.

Thanks! :D

I've got a Macbook Pro as my main machine now. M-Dac works fine, buffer sits at 50%, with no clicks.

Booted the Mac with Ubuntu 13.04 64bit live CD, and had the clicking and buffer bouncing between 0%-20%, as you describe!

Tried Ubuntu 12.04 on an old machine I had which I had previously known to work. Sure enough the old Ubuntu release behaves as the Mac does - 50% rock solid buffer and no clicks.

This makes me think the same issue is occuring on my Synology NAS (Linux based) as the symptoms are the same. I'm pretty sure that when I first tried my M-Dac, the NAS was fine, but I've since updated the firmware on it and you can't go back.

If you have any other info - please post. I'd really like to be able to feed the M-Dac from the NAS USB direct without issues or the need for another device.
Same issue.
2 solutions:
Hardware: a usb repeater which takes the existing usb port from the synology nas and makes the changes and repeats a usable usb port without these issues.
Havent found something like this yet. Also, some people say this issue is just with usb 3.0 ports and not 2.0 on the synology.

Software: too complicated for me. unless someone can compile some add ons to synology dsm software?

I tried a Synology NAS direct to M-DAC via usb. It worked OK. but the only audio player was dsm which was pants.

Now using Win 7/JRiver>M-DAC via USB.

Hardware: a usb repeater which takes the existing usb port from the synology nas and makes the changes and repeats a usable usb port without these issues.
Havent found something like this yet. Also, some people say this issue is just with usb 3.0 ports and not 2.0 on the synology.
If that device really does some rescheduling, then it *might* work. USB hub probably won't fix the issue as it isn't in fragmenting the blocks themselves.
I wrote *might* because such device would break the guaranteed latency rule that USB provides. Passing the feedback isochronous channel could also be tricky (the data channel would be effectively double buffered).

I'd really like to resolve this with the Linux kernel upstream, so the Synology developers can pick the fix from there upon their next rebase.

Depending on the analysis of the problem, there might be some MDAC firmware update needed, but I really want to try fixing this in the kernel as their basic ideology is "don't break existing stuff" and such ideology applies even to workarounds for existing firmware bugs, regardless of device.

However as discussed with Alan Stern before, the current full speed ehci scheduling code is in a really bad state and no rewrite is on the horizon, so the patches either get reverted (and break the stuff that started working by doing the fix) or some kind of workaround is implemented.

Asides for waiting the resistors, I'm also very eager to receive JohanH unit - I'm very much hoping that either Johan's unit is faulty or I've made an error during the rebuild to explain why Johan finds his upgraded unit fatiguing... its has be worried.... I've listen over and over and the L2MDAC is completely opposite... smoother more analogue without a hint of fatigue... I really wonder what's wrong...

Hopefully it will arrive here tomorrow (the floods have caused disruption here in CZ),

John

Hey john in response and likely not related, I have found that my headphone jack has always been fatiguing/over revealing and I remember you stating that the output between Rca and headphone jack were under the same circuitry and only a relay was used to switch between the two. I get two totally different signatures between rca and HP jack. Could this be a relay problem ?, I never ever have liked the headphone output and always use rca for speakers, I prefer much more my Wolfson mini DAC for my headphones. They are 50 ohm headphones could that contribute why ?.

Also john if it uses the same circuitry could I not plug my HP into the rca ? Or is there added headphone circuitry for the HP jack....

On another note john I used to have a stuck relay problem with a.10/a.09, you had said it was a hardware issue and not firmware related and I don't disagree however I had been using 0.90 for months after that and decided to try a.xx for a change and instantly had the relay problem again switched back to 0.90 and no problems again. Just reporting anyway, still probably is hardware but something in that firmware tripping the fault. Still prefer 0.90 anyway ;).
Thanks John.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back