advertisement

International RSD 20/04

Small queue when I got to Solo in Barnstaple at around 10am; picked up Calexico, Metronomy, White Stripes, Tame Impala. Quite pleased with that haul.

Some Miles Davis releases were there: Milestones, Some Day My Prince Will Com, Round About Midnight. Anyone know whether these are worth having (from a sound quality point of view)?

If anyone happens across the Kate Bush 10" then please grab one and PM me.
Edit: 55 of them listed on the e bay at the moment and 16 already completed listings. ffs.

Enjoyed the queue inthe first shop, entertained by a guitar / percussipn duo is it.

Got about a dozen items, but the bloke in front got the last Moebius one.

Still, more shops to try later and tomorrow there.

DS

Went down to Truck in Oxford as it's a lovely sunny day.

Queued for half an hour to get in, had some great conversations and was interviewed by a woman from the BBC.

Bloody hell, though, the stuff was pricy! Got a Davy Graham ep and a 10" by Darren Hayman - other stuff was quite steep and they were packaging some of the Music on Vinyl stuff I'd seen before in the RSD bins. Fun to browse though.

I picked up a copy of Marianne Faithful's Modern English on 70s Island vinyl from a market stall last week for £2 - when I got it home it stank of damp and sounded like an old 78... saw a new one in the RSD racks but £25! Lots of 7 and 10' singles for nearly £10.

To put that in context, got a new vinyl of the Knife record, 3 12" with 2CD and posters for £19.99.

The Davey Graham EP is great though.

Kevin

Just enjoyed a D&B DJ Set at the 5th shop, quite head nodding is it.

More records got, another go in due course there.

DS

I had intended to go to the Opening Day at Good Vibrations this morning,last time Iwent to the old shop on RSD, Terry didn't have any of the RDS stuff , plus could not see his shop mentioned on the list of shops with RSD stuff!

Hooley doesn't do RSD as far as I am aware though he was having a hoolie this afternoon in celebration of it.

Went to that London and enjoyed Wire but didn't bother queueing at Sister Ray as I wasn't really after anything.

Mick

Just call me Ebenezer and be done with it. International Record Shop day left me distressed. Am all for supporting the local record shop and I'm out there in force, but the madness on Berwick Street in SoHo was just too much to bear.

Does anyone know if there is a linear relationship between the number of records being purchased and the number of turntables being purchased/acquired? And what about the remaining 364 days? The record shops have this one day to look forward to, sadly.

Now, let's get to the prices. Are these people on drugs? smoking crack? freebasing a la Richard Pryor?

As a newbie to London, I took it upon myself to head south to Rat Records on Camberwell New Road and all I can is WOW!!! I got there and picked up Blood Sweat And Tears: Blood Sweat and Tears, Jennifer Warnes & Leonard Cohen: Famous Blue Raincoat, Steely Dan: Katy Lied and Steely Dan: AJA for just under £20. There was so much more I could have bought, but now I know where to return.

Rat Records: 348 Camberwell New Rd, London SE5 0RW
Phone:020 7274 3222 Open Monday Thru Saturday, Closed Sundays

You owe it yourself and your TURNTABLE to frequent this shop REPEATEDLY!!!!!

The weather was very pleasant today, so my wife and I had an enjoyable morning shopping, including a visit to Head, where I bought the RSD re-issue of Cream's R.H.A. May 2000 half-speed mastered, 3 x LP box thingy, and while I was in there, I also picked up Can's Lost Tapes 5 x LP, 180gm box set too.

Last year, the queue outside my local (Square Records Wimborne) started forming at 5pm Friday the day before. Quite frankly I dont have the energy to compete with people who (I suspect) are popping these on ebay for a quick turnaround (I'm not going to bother looking). This year, as last year, I will wait for Saturday next week when all the shops start selling the left overs online. I picked up a few of the stuff I wanted via Rise online and banquet online last year, and intend to do the same this year.

Some Miles Davis releases were there: Milestones, Some Day My Prince Will Com, Round About Midnight. Anyone know whether these are worth having (from a sound quality point of view)?

I bought the Miles - Round About Midnight. It was the only decent RSD release still available by the time I got into a record store in Soho.
Just played it and it is excellent. Really really good pressing.
I will definitely be looking out for the other 2 Miles reissues as well
Definitely worth having if its the same quality

I took one look at the queue and gave it a miss. To be honest there was little that tempted me, beyond maybe the mono cut of Someday My Price Will Come (assuming it's the dedicated mix rather than a fold-down) or the two Oval LPs. I'd have liked the Mugstar 7" too, but that would have been long gone as IIRC there were only 300 worldwide. I think RSD is a great idea as it generates a lot of interest and business for independent record shops, and it's wonderful seeing people queueing all day around Piccadilly Records etc as they deserve it, but being honest little of the product actually appeals to me - I've either already got original pressings, don't want it, or have never even heard of it! A lot strikes me as marketing for marketing's sake - I've never seen the point of paying more for a reissue than one could land a decent original pressing (unless said reissue has real audiophile credibility e.g. Classic, DCC, MoFi etc, but that's a whole other market).

Berwick St was very busy. Didn't stay or attempt the queue for Sister Ray.
Went to RTE which was rammed. Saw the Strypes there. Is it just me or are these rock n roller types getting younger? ;)
IMG_1063.jpg

May go tomorrow to a few of the smaller shops to see what they have left.

This year I would dearly love the Floyd and Hawkwind 7" but I stand absolutely no chance.

I got the Hawkwind one, but that The Pink Floyd record did not appeal to me is it.

Saw a D. Bowie 1965 7" one, the shop owner was raffling it for charidee, good result I thought.

DS

Popped into my local at 2pm not expecting much to be left. 3 copies of Kate Bush on full display! Picked up one and the Junip LP. A good crowd, good atmosphere, friendly shop owner and some nice live music in the sun outside.

Well done all at Carnival Records, Malvern.

Damian

Varies, the HW was £8, some were £5, some £10 is it.

Very Dear, but it is IRSD that is what happens.

DS

I managed to get The xx Jamie xx edits the others on my list were gone
Brian Eno & the MGMT cassette.
Still I bought the Yeah Yeah Yeahs new LP "Mosquito" a great record and I really like the
cover ,such a great band!
So not a bad day.

I got to Probe in Liverpool at 9:06, queued for over an hour, gave up, went back at lunchtime, wasn't desperately after anything in particular from the RSD list, so bought a couple of LPs and got a free commemorarative bottle of beer for my trouble.

RSD is undoubtedly a bit of a pain, but anything that gets people spending money in local independent businesses is a good thing IMHO.

advertisement

Back