advertisement

International RSD 20/04

dss

Musical Bons
Just a quick reminder for folks to go and support you local Records Shops tomorrow is it.

Please report your experiences there.

DS

I'll be in The Manchester tomorrow, but if the queues outside Piccadilly Records are as insane as they were last year I don't think I'll be bothering. I've not even had a peep at the list to see if there's anything I fancy yet... must go find it online...

Edit: list here.

I find RSD really frustrating. I live almost 100 miles from the nearest record shop and therefore can never make it to one. There are always things I desperately want only to see them up on eBay later the same day for stupid money.

This year I would dearly love the Floyd and Hawkwind 7" but I stand absolutely no chance.

I'm going to watch Steve Mason and Wire, but I think it unlikely I'll actually be bothered to buy any records 'cause it's usually too much bother on RSD.

Nowt on the list I'm that bothered by tbh - certainly not bothered enough to queue for hours for.

Well, I'll be going to Head in Bromley; I won't be queuing early though, I'll take my chances later and see what they have left. If it's anything last year, you can always pick up the bits you want later on-line. I enjoy watching the local bands play in the shop, so it's always worth the trip out.

I find the shops in untrendy areas good for sweeping up the tricky items is it.

For instance, Acorn in Yeovil had an unloved Tortoise double 7" left over last year, where all the That London and that shops had run out on Day 0.

DS

Nowt on the list I'm that bothered by tbh - certainly not bothered enough to queue for hours for.

This. And the fact that Piccadilly Records is unlikely to be in Snowdonia with me tomorrow. I've just had an order of achingly new stuff the other day, so am pretty cool about new releases.

I'll be going to hear the music in Berwick Street and @ Rough Trade East. Won't be queuing for records but will buy quite a bit I hope.
I agree that the lesser trodden paths are the best ways of finding elusive bits. Saying that I got some gems from RTE late on the Saturday last year.
Have fun people. Records aren't just for Christmas & RTD.

Sadly RSD, while suporting stores, doesn't seem to be about regular customers, far more about e bay investors. This is fine - times are tough and if someone can make a few quid good for them.

I did suggest to the people in my local store (Truck, Oxford) that they might run some type of loyalty card scheme - buy 50 records over the year and then run a 1 hour RSD preview for those who have been regular customers. They felt this was probably against the spirit of RSD but are giving it some thought.

I don't tend to go down as I hate crowded shops and sharp elbows.

They've got David Gedge doing an in-store in Oxford. I really hope they have a bumper day as it's an increasingly great store.

Kevin

Quite a healthy queue at the Belfast branch of Head this morning. They opened at 8 AM and were letting the punters in 10 at a time; I got in about 8.40. Was surprised to see how many copies of Floyd's See Emily Play 7" they had (allegedly limited to 2500 copies worldwide). Also picked up the Tull EP, Dylan & new Bowie singles. Unfortunately they sold out of the Bowie 1965 EP by the time I got in (40 copies according to one of the staff).

Was there at around 8am this morning....not looking for much apart from 'The Glove' and Lanois 'Acadie'. A great atmosphere in Head Belfast and truly great staff. My only neg observation would be that no one in their right mind would pay £15 for a 7" single! Thats not a reflection on the shop BTW which I love with a passion. A more helpful crowd you would be hard pushed to find.

Took a little stroll to HMV after to look for the LOTR Blu Ray box which apparently was reduced across the country. No sign. I did notice they had moved their vinyl display racks though.......RIGHT INTO THE FULL GLARE OF THE SUN AT THE WINDOW!!! I couldn't help myself so sauntered up to the three staff having a chat.
Me....'hey you know that vinyl will be unplayable by lunch time?'
They....'What vinyl?'
Me.....'You know RECORDS?'
They.....'Where?'
Me....'By the window in the sun'
They....'On the counter?'
Me....'NO ON THE RECORD DISPLAY RACK!!!'
They....'Where?'
Me.....'IN THE SUN BY THE BLOODY WINDOW.....THEY ARE COOKING!!!'
They.....'Oh those.......flip thats not good is it?.....Was there anything in particular you were looking for?'
Me....'Nope I wouldn't buy a vinyl record from here sorry'
They...'OK'
I left them to it with their vinyl slowly melting.

advertisement

Back