advertisement

Music you just "don't get"

Is it possible for this thread to stay 'on topic'?

Lots of comments from people about artists that they can't stand.

If they are that clear about them then they obviously 'get them' surely?

I don't think it is possible to keep to the point on a thread like this.

I don't get how Queen (for one) are/were so revered.. how they are classed as one of the great Rock bands of all time?. They aren't even a good Pop band as far as I'm concerned. I just don't get it.

I saw Queen live, just the once. They were the support band for Mott The Hoople back in whenever... They didn't leave much of an impression on me then, that view has not changed..!

I happen to like Gilbert O'Sullivan and as for Lieutenant Pigeon's Mouldy Old Dough, well at least they played real instruments.. themselves. No I think today's crap is much more insidiously awful than in the past, I mean, someone ponceing round the stage shouting, not singing, whilst grabbing his balls.. It makes Jimmy Osmond look like a talented musician!

Hmm...fair point

Marilliion all the way....U2, Simple Minds

All country and western

All rap

All drum n bass

Most dance, hip hop

and anything by anyone wearing a straw boater....

no. no. no. it is a very, very broad genre, with at least 10 or 15 sub-genres.

you cant shoehorn it or generalize. I am a rabid roots/americana/country fan and am in the process of getting together a massive "country music anthology" list on spotify(with all the sub genres having their own playlists.

maybe you can check it out and see if it changes your mind.

and how can a body hate the steel guitar? heavenly, man! and i aint just saying that as a hack player. it is so mournful and sweet.

Red Rhodes is my pedal steel hero. His stuff with the First National Band is just astonishing. Check out "Bonaparte's Retreat", or "Listen to the Band".

Sneaky Pete Kleinow is up there as well.

Chris

^^I saw Marillion in a pub in Dundee before they "made it". They started off bad and fell away. (I saw them again because Peter Hammill was the support!!! but I did the decent thing and walked out after their 1st. Genesis cover.)

When I was growing up TOTP was Jimmy Osmond and Gilbert O'Sullivan. In terms of crap, absolutely nothing has changed.
And don't be downhearted by that twat Soulja Boy and Heaven - he is merely what history will recall as the 2012 equivalent of Lieutenant Pigeon's Mouldy Old Dough.
Trust me on that.

He wasn't always shite. Check out his first single, "Disappear". Brilliant.

Chris

For pedal steel playing on this side of the pond, I'd be surprised if you could beat BJ Cole - nice fella an all.

For pedal steel playing on this side of the pond, I'd be surprised if you could beat BJ Cole - nice fella an all.

You are right. Wasnt he the guy who played the lovely lap steel in Chilli Willi & the Red Hot Pepper's "I get along", or was that Phil Lithman (aka Snakefinger)?

Chris

One of my favourite album covers is on a B J Cole album

114715063.jpg

Red Rhodes is my pedal steel hero. His stuff with the First National Band is just astonishing. Check out "Bonaparte's Retreat", or "Listen to the Band".

I only have the albums they did backing Mike Nesmith. V good they are too.

I only have the albums they did backing Mike Nesmith. V good they are too.

Those are the ones, Seeker. Some of the very best country rock ever commited to tape. Although, thinking about it, "Bonaparte's Retreat" was on Tantamount To Treason by Michael Nesmith & the SECOND national band. Still Red Rhodes on pedal steel, though.

Chris

Chris

Oh no! What have I done!? By saying I can't stand the peddle steel I've got all 4 of the people that like it having a convention and spreading their sickness! :D

Oh no! What have I done!? By saying I can't stand the peddle steel I've got all 4 of the people that like it having a convention and spreading their sickness! :D

It's not necessarily all keening mournful stuff, Arkless.

Check out The Misunderstood's "Who Do You Love" or "I Can Take You To The Sun". In fact anything by the Glen Campbell (no, not that one) era Misunderstood. Pedal steel, Jim, but not as we know it.

Or The Flying Burrito Brothers "Christines Tune".

Chris

The stuff that in the UK at least now seems to fall under the banner of "R+B" or "UK Garage". If I ever happen to turn the radio on and Trevor Nelson's show is on I feel an urge to throw myself under a bus.

I never liked Radiohead until I got a decent Hifi and could hear it as it was meant to be heard. Not sure what the reason for me now enjoying it is though, I just remember not being very interested in it through my crappy old mini hifi!

I never liked Radiohead until I got a decent Hifi and could hear it as it was meant to be heard. Not sure what the reason for me now enjoying it is though, I just remember not being very interested in it through my crappy old mini hifi!

I've got a decent hi-fi and it had the opposite effect. Well, not really I already thought it was twaddle.

advertisement

Back