advertisement

What are you listening to right now # 32

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prurient / Bermuda Drain. I was moving house when it was released so I sort of missed it, but its rather iconic sleeve kept it in mind. Pretty great apart from one track.

SunnnnnnnO))))))))))) : OO Void on 2 x 180g 45RPM. Generally an excellent pressing, but for some reason very quietly pressed. The sound is great but had to crank it up 6 notches from the usual listening level.

Splashed out on the MOFI 2CD of a favourite, Little Feat's 'Waiting For Columbus'. Superb. If you're a fan of the Feat, treat yourself.

Moondance - Van Morrison on LP

Could there be a better 1st side to an LP?

1. And It Stoned Me
2. Moondance
3. Crazy Love
4. Caravan
5. Into The Mystic

I'm hard pressed to think of one off the top of my head...all killer, no filler !

Paul

Triple repro of Coleman Hawkins albums on CD. 'Bean Bags' with Milt Jackson is 'nice'.

I can't figure out why music mostly done by the generation before me affects me so much.

Simple Minds- 'Real To Real Cacophony' (One of my old favs in a nice, cheap first 5 albums box set).

I've just got that too, played "Life in a Day" on the way to work, "Real to Real Cacophony" set up for the journey home.

It reminds me of a day in my final year at Uni. I was playing the new single at the time ("Promised You A Miracle") when one of the first years bounced into my room.

He said he thought that Simple Minds were a great band he REALLY liked them. I asked what albums he had, he said none, but he liked the single, h ethougt they were a new band!

I pulled out my vinyl copies of this set (up to Sons and Fascination/Sister Feelings Call).

He skulked out a bit crestfallen.

Simple Minds- 'Real To Real Cacophony' (One of my old favs in a nice, cheap first 5 albums box set).

We're going to see their 5X5 show at The Roundhouse next Friday (where they're playing five songs each from the first five albums) - fingers crossed they're reasonably faithful to the album versions, rather than "stadiuming" them up. I've not seen them since the Sparkle In The Rain tour, which was where the rot set in - nasty 80s reverb and all.

Moondance - Van Morrison on LP

Could there be a better 1st side to an LP?

1. And It Stoned Me
2. Moondance
3. Crazy Love
4. Caravan
5. Into The Mystic

I'm hard pressed to think of one off the top of my head...all killer, no filler !

Paul

Poetic Champions Compose?

I've just got that too, played "Life in a Day" on the way to work, "Real to Real Cacophony" set up for the journey home.

It reminds me of a day in my final year at Uni. I was playing the new single at the time ("Promised You A Miracle") when one of the first years bounced into my room.

He said he thought that Simple Minds were a great band he REALLY liked them. I asked what albums he had, he said none, but he liked the single, h ethougt they were a new band!

I pulled out my vinyl copies of this set (up to Sons and Fascination/Sister Feelings Call).

He skulked out a bit crestfallen.

First single I had was 'I Travel' (with the flexi) and 'Empires And Dance'. I bought 'Real To Real..' next and everything (12"'s and special edition 7"'s) up until the white vinyl of 'Sparkle..' ('Shake Off The Ghosts' I've always loved).

Luckily vinyl wise I still have everything in decent condition.

We're going to see their 5X5 show at The Roundhouse next Friday (where they're playing five songs each from the first five albums) - fingers crossed they're reasonably faithful to the album versions, rather than "stadiuming" them up. I've not seen them since the Sparkle In The Rain tour, which was where the rot set in - nasty 80s reverb and all.

Yes Guey, agreed that 'Sparkle In The Rain' started the rot, hope they stick to a bit of authenticity on the 5X5 tour...Although I have everything from the box set on vinyl, its a good value purchase just to get everything in one place- It doesn't sound too shabby either.

Yes Guey, agreed that 'Sparkle In The Rain' started the rot, hope they stick to a bit of authenticity on the 5X5 tour...Although I have everything from the box set on vinyl, its a good value purchase just to get everything in one place- It doesn't sound too shabby either.

Im indoors has bought the boxset - it's got some nice extras on it, though I could have done with the instrumental version of Seeing Out The Angel* being included (not to mention some of the Peel session versions etc etc...).

*note to self - dig out the 12"s and albums and give them a run through the Okki Nokki.

Im indoors has bought the boxset - it's got some nice extras on it, though I could have done with the instrumental version of Seeing Out The Angel* being included (not to mention some of the Peel session versions etc etc...).

*note to self - dig out the 12"s and albums and give them a run through the Okki Nokki.

'Seeing Out The Angel' was my favourite track on S&F but always preferred the vocal version (I think maybe I played the LP so much that when I had the 12" instrumental I got fed up).

'20th Century Promised Land' on 'SFC' I never get fed up with though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back