advertisement

At last... (Audiolab) - part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I use the CDQ without using the pre amp section? I'd use my own pre amp.

I've read the CDQ sounds better than the CD and this is the reason I would sooner pay the difference.

I've also read the MDAC sounds better than the CDQ. Will the CDQ be brought up to the same level in the future? When is this likley to take place?

Thanks

Yes, the Pre-amplifier modes of the CDQ can be disabled - via a Menu option selectable upon power-up. I don't recall the kye combination, but it’s described in the user Manual.

The very latest OLED versions of the CD have been brought up to CDQ quality.

Yes, we (Dominik and I) plan to offer upgrade kits around Q2-Q3 next year to bring the CD/CDQ to MDAC performance with the addition of 192kHz USB and a few extra features.

John

John, I am very interested in purchasing the MDAC, but I live in the states (no Audiolab distributor). There is a Canadian distributor (Planet of Sound Distribution) that is offering the MDAC on their website, showing an availability date of December 1, with a shipping date of December 15. To the best of your knowledge, is the MDAC production with american/canadian power ramped up enough to make these dates?

Also, does the MDAC power supply have an IEC inlet or pre-attached power cable? Thanks

Yes, the Pre-amplifier modes of the CDQ can be disabled - via a Menu option selectable upon power-up. I don't recall the kye combination, but it’s described in the user Manual.

The very latest OLED versions of the CD have been brought up to CDQ quality.

Yes, we (Dominik and I) plan to offer upgrade kits around Q2-Q3 next year to bring the CD/CDQ to MDAC performance with the addition of 192kHz USB and a few extra features.

John

Thanks John, much appreciated.

How can you tell it is the very latest OLED version or is it just all OLED versions which have the same SQ as the CDQ?

Does the CDQ sound as good as the MDAC even without the upgrade? I'd read the MDAC sounded better - (nothing to do with the specs?)

I'm looking for the best possible sound but as future proof as possible.

I may wait till Q2/Q3 next year then as I don't fancy installing an upgrade kit.

Hi domho7,
In my opinion it’s the best of the current range of Audiolab power amps - But that’s not to say you could not do better at the price - I don't really know about the sound quality of amplifiers in its price point - there's nothing that really sticks out...

I'm very careful with my hard earned funds - If it where my money I'd certainty look around for a "bargain" Second hand power amp(s) at the price point. Power amps don’t really age (apart from Capacitors) - so I'd not worry too much about buying a well treated 5 year old unit... But then that's just me...

John

Tks John for your valuable advice. :)

Its not showing off, its not throwing away or selling. The second hand value of the ventricals would be very little so they are put to better use as my PC speakers.

Indeed - just kidding. Truth is, I wish I had space in my tiny house to re-use kit like that. It can really hurt having to get rid of cherished hifi. I think I got barely £100 or so for the Ventricals. Someone got a real bargain

The MDAC and the CDQ do not share the same output stage design, so just updating the CDQ with new transformer and OLED will not make it sound the same. John has mooted upgraded pcb for the CDQ next year, but you never know when or if that might make it through IAG.

Thanks John, much appreciated.

How can you tell it is the very latest OLED version or is it just all OLED versions which have the same SQ as the CDQ?

Does the CDQ sound as good as the MDAC even without the upgrade? I'd read the MDAC sounded better - (nothing to do with the specs?)

I'm looking for the best possible sound but as future proof as possible.

I may wait till Q2/Q3 next year then as I don't fancy installing an upgrade kit.

Yes, all batches of the OLED version of CD have the same SQ as the CDQ. In fact the change has been progressive, so in fact some batches of 8200CD shipped before the OLED versions have the full SQ updates.

Before any one asks - sadly there's no way to tell from the Serial numbers.

Amongst MDAC's many design the differences; its CROSS output stage is responsible for the biggest improvement in SQ.

Yes, we will offer an update kit for the CD / CDQ, and these will be based upon our new next generation platform - the aim is to leapfrog MDAC's SQ and feature set.

John

Yes, all batches of the OLED version of CD have the same SQ as the CDQ. In fact the change has been progressive, so in fact some batches of 8200CD shipped before the OLED versions have the full SQ updates.

Before any one asks - sadly there's no way to tell from the Serial numbers.

Amongst MDAC's many design the differences; its CROSS output stage is responsible for the biggest improvement in SQ.

Yes, we will offer an update kit for the CD / CDQ, and these will be based upon our new next generation platform - the aim is to leapfrog MDAC's SQ and feature set.

John

Dude !! Hold on! My wallet is beginning to cry. :eek:

And I haven't even paid for my Mdac yet.

John, I am very interested in purchasing the MDAC, but I live in the states (no Audiolab distributor). There is a Canadian distributor (Planet of Sound Distribution) that is offering the MDAC on their website, showing an availability date of December 1, with a shipping date of December 15. To the best of your knowledge, is the MDAC production with american/canadian power ramped up enough to make these dates?

I'd not hold my breath - despite me constantly forewarning IAG about the expected demand for the MDAC - nothing was put into place beforehand by IAG China to ease the current backorder situation. Units are being airfreight to meet UK's demand - I cannot see other markets getting much in the way of stock, as the Guys in the UK trusted me enough to place large “first orders” with the factory before the demand sky rocketed.

Also, does the MDAC power supply have an IEC inlet or pre-attached power cable? Thanks

The MDAC adaptor currently has a pre-attached power cable. There was some talk to add a C7 (Figure-8 / Shotgun) type power inlet.

Our upgrade PSU that will be compatible with the MDAC has a detachable C7 (Figure-8 / Shotgun) type power inlet.

John

Dude !! Hold on! My wallet is beginning to cry. :eek:

And I haven't even paid for my Mdac yet.

Well, I guess we can use your unit as a "Testbed", so your CDQ will be one of the first to be updated outside of our lab :)

But this is not going to happen until Q3 next year...

John

Indeed - just kidding. Truth is, I wish I had space in my tiny house to re-use kit like that. It can really hurt having to get rid of cherished hifi. I think I got barely £100 or so for the Ventricals. Someone got a real bargain

Gosh, for "Box Speakers" they are really good, I'd buy a pair if I could find them... I'd given you much more...

You should "home Demo" a pair of the Martin Logan's I recommended,

John

Well, I guess we can use your unit as a "Testbed", so your CDQ will be one of the first to be updated outside of our lab :)

But this is not going to happen until Q3 next year...

John

Excellent!! I'm always happy to be experimented on :):)

Cheers John.

Pity, you could have had a listen to the Harbs and then told everyone here how crap they were...

;-)

Oh, don't worry about the welder, I can grab one of the local kids next time they kick a ball into the front garden...

'pologies for the brief interlude...

I check Audiogon from time to time and just noticed that David Michael Audio in Michigan is an authorized Audiolab retailer. Maybe they can help?

Steven.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back