advertisement

Yamaha NS1000M

Why anyone would sell a pair of these is beyond me. Seriously, unless a bass-head above all I can’t imagine it. I’ve not owned better - my active ATC 50s had much the same mid-range clarity (I’m beginning to imagine not quite, but prepared to put it down to poor memory), but I’m buggered if I don’t actually prefer these damn things.

Sssssshhh! Don't tell the world!

For that extra bit of bass slam try a pair of NS2000 or NS1000x. I have a pair of X and have removed the sub, it's just not necessary... a pair of carbon woofers is plenty. BUT.. I believe the magnet assembly is the same on the drivers, just the cone material changed... the only difference is the X cabinet is slightly larger... so I wonder if it's the slightly larger cabinet that increases the bass slam rather than the carbon cone... maybe worth experimenting with the bass driver in a slightly larger cabinet?? Anybody done that by chance? Or does anybody have the t/s parameters for either driver??

i received some decent binding posts today from the states.

IMG_1760.jpg

I have read that placement of these speakers should be near a wall to reinforce the bass. We all have different shaped rooms and mine has an alcove to the side of one speaker, but on bringing them 18" inches away from the wall behind has been revelatory in terms of improving focus and 3D imaging. It is well worth a try if you have space. I have them 6 ft apart and 9ft from listening position, this may change as I experiment a bit more.

I have read that placement of these speakers should be near a wall to reinforce the bass. We all have different shaped rooms and mine has an alcove to the side of one speaker, but on bringing them 18" inches away from the wall behind has been revelatory in terms of improving focus and 3D imaging. It is well worth a try if you have space. I have them 6 ft apart and 9ft from listening position, this may change as I experiment a bit more.

Yes, I have mine away from the wall and stereo depth and focus improves quite dramatically - in fact both are truly excellent.

IMV acoustic problems can be caused by near (<1 metre) objects - e.g. equipment, racks, furniture, TV, whatever - at, or in front of, the plane of the speaker baffles.

So imaging improves when the speakers are moved forward and such near objects become comfortably behind the plane of the speaker baffles. The improvement when moving the speakers forward is real but IMV the wall location is just an association rather than the main cause. Above bass frequencies, most of the energy from box speakers is thrown forward and sideways, so I look at forward and sideways areas for the main acoustic problems - as above, or for example near (<1 metre) specular first reflections from side walls.

I have my equipment rack behind the listening area, and run long interconnects. My actives are the only thing on the wall ahead. I believe soffit-mounted speakers also work fine in a similar way.

I realise the point is technical if you can't locate your stuff differently ...

Were there any plans to make the diffraction rings commercially available please Mark?

Regards

Chris

Hi Chris, I’m really sorry but I’ve only just seen your post (only two months + late; oops). The diffraction rings were part of my own NS-1000M refurbishment and I did make them commercially available for some time (other bits too). The rings and the badges I did were the most popular bits). Eventually demand, which was never that great, tailed off and my job also changed meaning I had a lot less spare time to make hobby bits like this. If I had sufficient demand I could buy in some more of the material required (I don’t have any at present).

They just push on over the machine screws holding in the drivers. Takes a second to fit and/or remove them.

It’s the bits that go round the tweeter, they were double thickness with two different profiles - a right pain to fabricate neatly.

These should fit the X version I presume? I believe the mids and tweets are the same size.. if so I’d also love to try Mark.

Cheers & Happy Xmas. :)

Happy Christmas to you too and all enthusiast fishies :)

Yes, I should think the diffraction rings would fit the X version as the mid and tweets are very much the same (certainly all their outer dimensions are the same).

The foam shapes are precision laser cut and push onto the heads of the socket head (Allen head) machine screws that hold my drive units into the cabinets.
———-
If you want better bass with more slam go active in the bass - proper iron fist in a velvet glove.

advertisement

Back