advertisement

Yamaha NS1000M

And I’m picking it up tomorrow.

An eBay purchase, and I’ve spoken to the chap who seems very decent. It is described as mint, and having had a service 18 months ago - he named the chap who serviced it in a way that suggested I might know them - I’ll get more details anon.

If I like it as much as some suggest I might there’ll could be a pair of ncores in the classifieds soon :)

Looking forward to your comments. I often think I'm finished with swapping equipment around, then I read about something and I'm off again.

It is described as mint, and having had a service 18 months ago - he named the chap who serviced it in a way that suggested I might know them - I’ll get more details anon.

If I like it as much as some suggest I might there’ll could be a pair of ncores in the classifieds soon :)

Looks very well kept, I hope you enjoy it when you get it. I would be very interested in finding out who did the service if you do get a name, I would like to get my CA-2010 sympathetically serviced and a suggestion for someone to do it would be great.

Looks very well kept, I hope you enjoy it when you get it. I would be very interested in finding out who did the service if you do get a name, I would like to get my CA-2010 sympathetically serviced and a suggestion for someone to do it would be great.

If your near Somerset/Wiltshire I know a very expirienced gentleman who did a great job on my equally vintage JVC M-L10 ;) Thats a great find @Whaleblue, it looks brand new! (and more importanly, serviced) looking forward to your impressions. And remember to lift with your knees, the weight of quality equipment still catches me out.

@Hempknight , thanks, I hope it’s a success. Also hope your brothers is as nice!

@Snufkin , it does look great, so I’m intrigued to see what it sounds like compared to the class-D Nords.

Another pic:

38664208565_e2f75679c9_c.jpg

In case you aren't aware, and I don't think the manual makes mention of it though I have read about it on other on line forums, that there is a risk of damaging the Class A/Normal switching system if you routinely switch between the two when the amp is on or if you switch whilst operating it at quite a high output level. Something to do with the relay switching sticking on whichever is selected at the time of the problem occuring. Best practice is to select the output type when the amp is turned off, apparently, though I never experienced a problem on the odd occasion I did switch between them when the amp was on, prior to finding out I probably shouldn't (if you see what I mean).

In case you aren't aware, and I don't think the manual makes mention of it though I have read about it on other on line forums, that there is a risk of damaging the Class A/Normal switching system if you routinely switch between the two when the amp is on or if you switch whilst operating it at quite a high output level. Something to do with the relay switching sticking on whichever is selected at the time of the problem occuring. Best practice is to select the output type when the amp is turned off, apparently, though I never experienced a problem on the odd occasion I did switch between them when the amp was on, prior to finding out I probably shouldn't (if you see what I mean).

Good advice worth heeding. I took similar precautions when operating my CA-1000. I believe the microswitch has tendency to arc when flicking from Class A back to Normal and can become damaged if repeatedly subjected to this. IIRC going the other way (Normal to Class A) is safer as it places less strain on the microswitch, but don't hold me to that.

I wasn't aware of that so thanks for the info, but mine is always left in Class A

Thanks chaps. Any reason one would not run it in Class A? :)
When you don't need additional space heating. I realised a few days ago how much warmer my room had become compared to the other rooms (it's summer down under) after playing music for several hours - so much so I had to put the AC on to stop breaking out in a sweat.

Congrats. You’ll love it and it will image far better too. ;)

We seem to have another Yamaha collector in our midst in Whaleblue!!

My collection is now complete.... I think.

If your near Somerset/Wiltshire I know a very expirienced gentleman who did a great job on my equally vintage JVC M-L10 ;)

Sorry, I missed this before. Thanks for the suggestion but I'm in Suffolk, so Wiltshire/Somerset is going to be too far away unfortunately, though I do appreciate the thought.

Picked it up at lunchtime, and dropped it home - but I’m stuck at work until this evening!

What a lovely chap the seller turned out to be. :)

The service work was apparently carried out by @toprepairman , which pleases me greatly, knowing the excellent reputation he holds here. :)

Picked it up at lunchtime, and dropped it home - but I’m stuck at work until this evening!

What a lovely chap the seller turned out to be. :)

The service work was apparently carried out by @toprepairman , which pleases me greatly, knowing the excellent reputation he holds here. :)

well done mate,it looks in very good condition :)

I love it. Not even sure what it is I love, but I do!

Here she is in situ, playing The National (as you can tell from the needles).

25711625038_2534f93af3_c.jpg

advertisement

Back