advertisement

Who has heard the new Proac Tablette 10?

Seems to be a disproportionally high number of them showing up secondhand on eBay (US) the past few months. Maybe it's not terribly out of proportion -- I don't search-follow them. I happened to notice because I will occasionally search for secondhand 1sc.

Seems to be a disproportionally high number of them showing up secondhand on eBay (US) the past few months. Maybe it's not terribly out of proportion -- I don't search-follow them. I happened to notice because I will occasionally search for secondhand 1sc.

Guess US rooms are just too large for those Tablettes

I had mine playing in around 25-30m2 (high ceilings) with good effect, doubt they work in much larger evironments

I wonder if the Celef LS3/5A-alike mentioned on page one of the thread are in effect the same drivers and crossovers but in a traditional screwed BBC thin-wall box? Another pair has just appeared on eBay (link). It would be very interesting to see how they compared.
The LS8 was Stewart's side (summer) project for ten years. He used top end ProAc drivers and told me that he resurrected the Celef brand for them as the components alone cost £1500 per pair and all the add-ons which come with the ProAc label (dealer mark-up etc) would have made them hugely expensive in the marketplace.

And hot on the heels of the LS8 comes the radically different Tablette 10. It is clear that the sealed enclosure Tablette 10 would not have been born if the LS8 hadn't existed. Stewart took the design principles of the LS8 but must have used cheaper (and that's not a criticism, just a fact) drivers in the Tablette 10 or he would be selling them at a loss of at least £500 per pair rather than, one presumes, a decent margin.

He made less than 30 pairs of the LS8 and most went to the Far East. I am in the UK and own pair 00015.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Probably not everyone's taste but just listening to Laura Marling Soothing, WOW she is in the room (I wish don't tell the wife) the Proac Tab 10 deliver a balance of music I haven't experienced before, emotional and to the point just wonderful it blows my mind how good these speakers are

Hi My Hi Fi dealer like to use two Nap 100s bi amped . Might be worth a try ?

Martin

I have a pair of Tablette 10s here on home demo. They're strange little boxes. Physically tiny, but hefty with it. Sonically, prodigiously detailed and coherent, focused and flowing, not at all harsh. But a bit too spotlit for my taste. It's like sitting in a room with a strip light. The bass, while tidy, tight and quick, just doesn't reach deep enough for me. And this is in a small room. A few overblown modern CDs sound bang on, but everything else is missing that bit of weight and substance. Maybe I'm too used the mid-bass hump of the ported speaker. I've put the Rega RS1s back in, and their sense of drive and atmosphere is something of a relief. The detail is there, just not so obviously. Maybe they're simply more suited to entry level Naim (Uniti1), more forgiving.

I have a pair of Tablette 10s here on home demo. They're strange little boxes. Physically tiny, but hefty with it. Sonically, prodigiously detailed and coherent, focused and flowing, not at all harsh. But a bit too spotlit for my taste. It's like sitting in a room with a strip light. The bass, while tidy, tight and quick, just doesn't reach deep enough for me. And this is in a small room. A few overblown modern CDs sound bang on, but everything else is missing that bit of weight and substance. Maybe I'm too used the mid-bass hump of the ported speaker. I've put the Rega RS1s back in, and their sense of drive and atmosphere is something of a relief. The detail is there, just not so obviously. Maybe they're simply more suited to entry level Naim (Uniti1), more forgiving.

Out of curiosity, how small is your room and how far away from the speakers do you sit, what amplifier are you driving them with and how far away from the front wall are they?

It's a loft room, about 12 feet by 15, though the speakers fire across rather than down. My listening position is under the sloped roof, about seven feet from the speakers. I've tried them right up against the wall and about 30cm in the room. They sound slightly better away from the wall. Amp is a Naim Uniti.

It's a loft room, about 12 feet by 15, though the speakers fire across rather than down. My listening position is under the sloped roof, about seven feet from the speakers. I've tried them right up against the wall and about 30cm in the room. They sound slightly better away from the wall. Amp is a Naim Uniti.

Try a tube amp.

My room is 4x6mtrs no issues with bass but I do have a 250dr, they are about 10inches from the back wall.

The Tab 10 (white none signature) sit on heavy custom design RS303 stands that weigh around 38kg each.

Due to decorating and recent room move (to the 4x6mtr) I'm picking up a pair of cherry Tab 10s tomorrow but opted for the signature version as the dealer offered a decent trade in.

My room is 4x6mtrs no issues with bass but I do have a 250dr, they are about 10inches from the back wall.

The Tab 10 (white none signature) sit on heavy custom design RS303 stands that weigh around 38kg each.

Due to decorating and recent room move (to the 4x6mtr) I'm picking up a pair of cherry Tab 10s tomorrow but opted for the signature version as the dealer offered a decent trade in.

Can you report back on The Siggies please Hifiman?:)

John, the Tab 10's are indeed unforgiving..... and also tiny, l know this having mixed and matched amps, T/T's CD players etc- are they 'run in?'

( If you believe in that sort of thing), because the Tab 10 l own are certainly not bass light.

Can you report back on The Siggies please Hifiman?:)

Will do Tarzan, just plugged them in this evening amp off all day plus the usual speaker running in process starts all over again!

Out the box they sound pretty good

Anyway pic below
2_20180928_180830.jpg

Last edited:
Very pretty, any early thoughts in comparison with the standard version?

They are Cherry in colour?:)

Yep cherry sigs.

First thoughts and it's still early days in my new room, the sigs have a slightly deeper bass over the original but their strength is the mid range, sublime. The decay of instruments, sound stage is spot on the placement of the band is in front of you.

When I compared the sigs to the original when they first appeared this is something I did not pick up on and I thought the difference in price was not worth it but I was wrong. Cannot wait for these to run in and I will report back.

Nice. Personally I find it difficult to compare the differences between two speakers if they are not in the same room especially if it is the same speaker one being standard and one signature, switched side-by-side. In some cases the differences can be quite insignificant. It may be just a 5 to 10 minutes of listening but the differences will be easily picked up even when listening to just one track before switching over to the other speaker. Case in point, when I was at the dealers to listen to the new Harbeth SHL5 Plus speakers, i brought some of my favourite CDs. I listened to the old SHL5 non-Plus first before switching over to the SHL5 Plus. The difference in the sonic presentation was clearly apparent and largely audible. Bass lines were significantly tidier and the overall presentation in the midrange a lot neater without the added lushness (that I would associate as colouration) of the non-Plus. If the comparison wasn't done side-by-side, I might still be able to ascertain the differences but it will not be as accurate.

Good to know that the Tablette 10 Signature has shown a marked improvement over the standard version.

Out of curiosity, how small is your room and how far away from the speakers do you sit, what amplifier are you driving them with and how far away from the front wall are they?

Strange how most folks always ask how far from the wall the speakers are.

None ever asks how far away the wall behind a listeners head is.

It has more influence on how much bass you perceive.

Easy to try.

advertisement

Back