advertisement

Which MiniDSP unit?

Yes, it’s an IR remote. The SHD is pretty enough to be out on display, but if you really must hide it away then there are plenty of third party options for controlling it without line of sight.

I was thinking of investigating an interface between web control and IR, but it would have been nice to have it as a built in facility.

The shd remote is a bit sh1t and also the thing is impossible to use without it as far I can tell.

I have to concede that it looks a bit plain but it works well enough. You have easy access to the four presets, input switching, volume control, mute and a button for toggling Dirac on/off. Every function on the remote can be performed using the rotary encoder on the front panel. Turn the knob for volume control, press once then turn to switch between presets, press twice for input switching, press three times to turn Dirac processing on/off. Press and hold to mute/unmute.

I have to concede that it looks a bit plain but it works well enough. You have easy access to the four presets, input switching, volume control, mute and a button for toggling Dirac on/off. Every function on the remote can be performed using the rotary encoder on the front panel. Turn the knob for volume control, press once then turn to switch between presets, press twice for input switching, press three times to turn Dirac processing on/off. Press and hold to mute/unmute.

I know that but it is flimsy . Small and always getting lost. Thanks re controls on from panel , probably invaluable when remote falls to pieces

I know that but it is flimsy . Small and always getting lost. Thanks re controls on from panel , probably invaluable when remote falls to pieces

If the remote ever does get lost or fall to pieces then at least it will be cheap and easy to replace. Just give me a call.

I’m interested to hear how others found the DSP in action...was there much of a difference? Anyone didn’t like what it did? Was your systems plot way off or reasonably flat?
Any shared experience much appreciated..

Firstly the remote, it is fine, as well made as many and easier to use than most. It won’t dent the floor or smash a glass top coffee table but might break if you jump up and down on it!

The Dirac DSP which is included is the full version and is now version 2. Think of it as the icing on the cake of the basic functuality of the unit which can be used to make digital crossovers, adjust frequency response etc. There is a learning curve and it does help if you know how to use REW software. As to how much effect Dirac will have depends on your system and its setup in the first place and how you use it in the second place. Having said that use Dirac as per the instructions and it is likely that there will be an improvement in sound quality. Using the remote comparisons can be easily made between Dirac filters and the system without.

The remote is fine. It’s no better or worse than similar types from different suppliers.

I’m interested to hear how others found the DSP in action...was there much of a difference? Anyone didn’t like what it did? Was your systems plot way off or reasonably flat?
Any shared experience much appreciated..

This depends on how brutal you want the four settings to be, really. I have 4 curves on mine, inputted after Lee did a comprehensive assessment of room nodes. I’ve tried them all over a period of time, including clicking thru them with the display covered! Omg blind testing! I then settled on one I like. Lee is returning sometime to do the Dirac assessment, and I’ll report back on how that is.

Interestingly, no one has asked about the sound or neutrality of the unit...

Exactly thanks Andrew. We spend time and money insuring the purest signal path with the highest quality components. Then to put a low price (particularly the smaller MiniDSP unit) box of tricks and extra cables into the equation, it makes you wonder how (albeit a better response) the SQ can’t be inherently compromised....

I did another set of measurements on mine today and reran Dirac. I’d shoved a couple of GIK traps behind the ATCs in the week.
So now I’m flicking between them . Think I like the new one better .

Exactly thanks Andrew. We spend time and money insuring the purest signal path with the highest quality components. Then to put a low price (particularly the smaller MiniDSP unit) box of tricks and extra cables into the equation, it makes you wonder how (albeit a better response) the SQ can’t be inherently compromised....

I have a 18db peak at 50hz,traps are not possible in my room,some tracks would liven up the room and make the patio doors shake,but if someone mentioned DSP as a cure I would have shot them down,having spent 50 years to get my vinyl set up to where its at now the idea of installing extra cables and some digital filtering into the system was never going to happen.

A few years back a friend visited with the Dirac software on his laptop,so we measured and set it up for my room,the difference was quite something with the bass peak now gone.I bit the bullet and got a 22A,I tried several different targets but settled on the default setting,I am more than happy with the results and don't feel SQ is in anyway compromised.

Thanks GJO
Aside the bass peak correction, could you describe any other positive changes you found? Or was it mainly in the bass? Much appreciated

Apart from the peak,I also had a 5DB dip at 100 and 200hz which it also corrected.

By sorting these out midrange is much improved,separation is better defined and it is just a better balanced sound.

As for neutrality or sound quality of the miniDSP, I personally haven’t noticed any problems when running a signal through without crossovers, EQ or Dirac. I do prefer to have the SHD outputting through a Chord Qutest. I haven’t done any blind testing though and don’t in this case feel the need, so take my opinion with a touch of the proverbial...

Even if sound quality was slightly compromised, any such compromises would be tiny in comparisons to the benefits the unit can give.

advertisement

Back