advertisement

Which MiniDSP unit?

I was going to use it to cover the speakers and subs.

You can adjust the levels of both mid and treble on my speakers so it’ll be interesting to see how far I’m out.....

thanks Cam, that’s helpful.

If you use the MiniDSP to integrate your subs that will make a real improvement , frequency, order delay etc, but you will need a microphone.
Then use the software to reduce any room mode bass peaks.
Keith

Exactly thanks Andrew. We spend time and money insuring the purest signal path with the highest quality components. Then to put a low price (particularly the smaller MiniDSP unit) box of tricks and extra cables into the equation, it makes you wonder how (albeit a better response) the SQ can’t be inherently compromised....

I’m very pleased with my SHD feeding 8c’s. I do not regret make the change to this set up from what I had before.

If you use the MiniDSP to integrate your subs that will make a real improvement , frequency, order delay etc, but you will need a microphone.
Then use the software to reduce any room mode bass peaks.
Keith

Cheers Keith. Is the main benefit in integrating subs or are there good benefits to be had addressing the mids and treble too?

I’m interested to hear how others found the DSP in action...was there much of a difference? Anyone didn’t like what it did? Was your systems plot way off or reasonably flat?
Any shared experience much appreciated..

I had a DDRC-22D and DDRC24 for a while.

I liked what the DDRC-22D did with the digital as it did seem to create an even response and flattened out some horrible bass modes I had in my room (12ft x 12ft) but in the end I got bored of it being a little bit too polite and restrained.

The DDRC24 absolutely killed the analogue, I have no idea why as in theory adc/dac 'ing the analogue signal shouldn't change anything but it killed all the flavour and niceness that vinyl has. Very subjective but it just sounded horrible and wrong.

This is an old before/after graph from Dirac on the DDRC-22D

Untitled by The Biglebowski, on Flickr

Cheers Keith. Is the main benefit in integrating subs or are there good benefits to be had addressing the mids and treble too?
Personally I would measure first and then only bring down any major bass peaks below a few hundred hertz, that region is minimum phase and EQ is effective and benign, I wouldn’t touch the higher frequencies at all unless your speakers have a rising treble .
Add a filter listen, re-measure to corroborate etc etc.
Adding and integrating subs is covered in MiniDSP’s ‘support’ pages.
Keith

Personally I would measure first and then only bring down any major bass peaks below a few hundred hertz, that region is minimum phase and EQ is effective and benign, I wouldn’t touch the higher frequencies at all unless your speakers have a rising treble .
Add a filter listen, re-measure to corroborate etc etc.
Adding and integrating subs is covered in MiniDSP’s ‘support’ pages.
Keith

Thanks very much for the reply. Both my subs (B&W DB1’s) have on board DSP to automatically correct bass peaks and troughs. It’ll be interesting how effective they are in doing it....

Isn't that the purpose of Dirac?
Sorry wasn’t clear. The Dirac software shows an idealised estimate of how the frequency response will look with the filter in use - it doesn’t actually measure the effect. That estimate is idealised, the actual effect of the filter isn’t so “perfect”; which is actually a good thing. To see the effect of a Dirac filter you need to measure it yourself. This all presupposes that mic placements are as recommended.

Ah ok, my graph showed what it measured in blue and what Dirac has done to correct it in green.

I didn't measure the corrected/adjusted output though.

Fwiw the SHD is only correcting issues below 200hz in my room. Nothing above.

Last edited:

These are different functions. You can use them independently or together. The sub integration allows you to integrate the subs and mains in both the frequency and time domains. Digital room correction is most effective at solving low frequency issues. EQ can still be useful across the midrange and treble as a sort of advanced tone control.

I had a DDRC-22D and DDRC24 for a while.

I liked what the DDRC-22D did with the digital as it did seem to create an even response and flattened out some horrible bass modes I had in my room (12ft x 12ft) but in the end I got bored of it being a little bit too polite and restrained.

Did you ever try limiting Dirac to just the low frequencies? This is a good option if you find the full range correction a little too polite.

The DDRC24 absolutely killed the analogue, I have no idea why as in theory adc/dac 'ing the analogue signal shouldn't change anything but it killed all the flavour and niceness that vinyl has. Very subjective but it just sounded horrible and wrong.

I know exactly what you mean, but the AD/DA converters in the SHD are in a different league.

Thanks very much for the reply. Both my subs (B&W DB1’s) have on board DSP to automatically correct bass peaks and troughs. It’ll be interesting how effective they are in doing it....

It is probably very effective, but the SHD goes further by allowing you to high pass the main speakers and delay the signal sent to each speaker and subwoofer so that they all reach you at the same time.

Did you ever try limiting Dirac to just the low frequencies? This is a good option if you find the full range correction a little too polite.

I know exactly what you mean, but the AD/DA converters in the SHD are in a different league.
Good advice as usual from Lee.

Limiting Dirac to the low frequencies is safe bet. If including higher frequencies yields benefits in imaging but at the expense of a “dull” or “dry” sound then it may be beneficial to alter the target curve to follow the original frequency response. It’s surprising how much control one has over Dirac, despite its simple looking software interface. It’s certainly worth trying different options and allowing them to different presets so that quick comparisons can be made. If someone has the time (for most people, or maybe just me, it does take a lot of time to learn how to use and interpret the various ways of looking at the data) and inclination it is worth downloading and learning to use REW.

No, I just let it do it's own thing, I'm a little impatient and was looking for a product that treated me like an idiot (that I am) and sorted it all out for me.

Good advice as usual from Lee.

Limiting Dirac to the low frequencies is safe bet. If including higher frequencies yields benefits in imaging but at the expense of a “dull” or “dry” sound then it may be beneficial to alter the target curve to follow the original frequency response.

Thanks Cam. This mirrors my findings when setting up the subs. I found the max output I could use was cut off at 43hz with 24db slope and - 18db on the volume. Literally 1db more on the volume or 1hz higher on the cut off and the quality of the mids/treble were adversely affected, and more so with every increase to either volume or cut off.

Thanks Cam. This mirrors my findings when setting up the subs. I found the max output I could use was cut off at 43hz with 24db slope and - 18db on the volume. Literally 1db more on the volume or 1hz higher on the cut off and the quality of the mids/treble were adversely affected, and more so with every increase to either volume or cut off.

I'm not sure what you mean. Could you explain further please?

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom