advertisement

What's all the aggression about in the audio room?

The EMT actually sounds good as well according to friends who's ears I trust :)

Where's the Trio/kenwood L-07D in all this I wonder??????

Found this article:

In 1980 at the peak of all things analogue, when the Japanese major manufactuers were still trying to come up with the perfect statement product to take on the rest of the world, Stereo Sound Magazine journalists Fuyuki Segawa and Keizo Yamanaka reviewed the best of the best with honours...

And the finest turntables in the world were

1st = EMT 930st (German Idler Drive)
1st = Pioneer Exclusive P3 (Japanese Direct Drive)

2nd = Sony PS-X9 (Japanese Direct Drive)
2nd = Micro RX/RY-5000 (Japanese Belt Drive)

3rd = Linn Sondek LP-12 (British Belt Drive)
3rd = Pioneer Exclusive P10 (Japanese Direct Drive)
3rd = Micro RX-3000 (Japanese Belt Drive)
3rd = Marantz TT-1000L ( US / Japanese Direct Drive)
3rd = Yamaha PX-1 (Japanese Direct Drive)
3rd = Thorens TD-126 mkIIIC (Swiss / German Belt Drive)
3rd = Technics SP-10mkII (Japanese Direct Drive)
3rd = Luxman PD-555 (Japanese Direct Drive)
3rd = Kenwood L-07D (Japanese Direct Drive)

The LP12 has improved greatly since that review.

It's a shame. It risks PFM becoming, like Hifi Wigwam, a refuge for the lowest common denominator.

most of the people that leave the wam are overly sensitive/delicate.

the people that dont take themselves too seriously do fine.

really, why would anyone flounce because of words on an internet forum?

it amazes me

Naaa, how?!!! There's NO aesthetic consideration at all. It's designed purely as a functional machine.

However, the most important influence on Bauhaus was modernism, a cultural movement whose origins lay as far back as the 1880s, and which had already made its presence felt in Germany before the World War, despite the prevailing conservatism. The design innovations commonly associated with Gropius and the Bauhaus—the radically simplified forms, the rationality and functionality, and the idea that mass-production was reconcilable with the individual artistic spirit—were already partly developed in Germany before the Bauhaus was founded. The German national designers' organization Deutscher Werkbund was formed in 1907 by Hermann Muthesius to harness the new potentials of mass production, with a mind towards preserving Germany's economic competitiveness with England. In its first seven years, the Werkbund came to be regarded as the authoritative body on questions of design in Germany, and was copied in other countries. Many fundamental questions of craftsmanship versus mass production, the relationship of usefulness and beauty, the practical purpose of formal beauty in a commonplace object, and whether or not a single proper form could exist, were argued out among its 1,870 members (by 1914).

bauhaus valued functionality above the style....their factory gear and professional product design is highly functional like their architecture.....the decorative elements were related to craft and materials.....just saying like.....

emt-938.jpg

I had a 938 here for a while. I didn't think much of it tbh. I think it was somewhat let down by the arm. Would've been interesting to hear it with something else attached but time didn't allow. Another time perhaps.

advertisement

Back