advertisement

What's all the aggression about in the audio room?

Maybe that's the case. The EMT cartridges I've heard in isolation (ie not on an EMT) weren't that outstanding.

bauhaus valued functionality above the style....their factory gear and professional product design is highly functional like their architecture.....the decorative elements were related to craft and materials.....just saying like.....

emt-938.jpg

That one i can understand. its been put into consideration. Actually looks like Braun/Deiter Rams.

This one below though hasn't/doesn't IMO.

EMT.jpg

Its the pro'v'consumer/audiophile market of today.

Worse still is the amount of time decent people spend writing on a forum when they could make a difference :)

Good point.

Seriously though, Rolex are not in essence superior to Omega, but they've done a better job of brand management. There are parallels to linn in some ways.

What I'm saying is that some people pay what you consider to be over the odds for an LP12, whilst some people pay what I consider to be over the odds for a Rolex Sub. Neither of us should lose much sleep over their profligacy though :)

(I missed this post)

Greg, isn' this a differenct concept?

People dont buy a sub because it tells the time better than another watch but, presumably, they pay more for a tt because it sounds better than the next one?

I am only interested in the music.

But in getting there I have returned to vinyl and I find it so frustrating as I can't even change a cartridge but I seek the live sound and when I can get that from a series of boxes I will sell my turntable.

I was negotiating the purchase of a renovated EMT 930st & 155st internal phono preamp which together with a new TSD15 cartridge, all from Germany, which would have cost me in the region of £4K when I fell over my present deck in a garage.

Whilst the cost of the EMT seemed a lot at the time it would cost me a lot more now as they seem to just go up and up in price.

Ironically, Bub's 16610 sub will have doubled in price since he bought it.

I would, seriously, consider selling my 301 combo, unused 124 and 224 for an EMT idler 930st.

lindsayt might say his EMT DD sounds better than his 930st but I prefer the rockin' nature of the idler to a the "accuracy" of a DD.

However, I accept it is all just personal preference at the end of the day and if someone is happy with what they got, whatever it may be, they are the winner as opposed to the interminable box-swappers IMO.

advertisement

Back