advertisement

What concert have you last been to #3

Opeth last night in Barrowlands, Glasgow, pretty good but not as good as last time - mainly due to the setlist which was missing a few of my favourites. The support was Enslaved but their sound setup was so bad I couldn't tell if they were brilliant or crap....

Pharoah Sanders + long time 'accompianist' (geddit?) Wiiliam Henderson last night in Leeds.
Fantastic venue (one my daughter frequents), vibrant audience and superb all-round performance from Farrell and the boys.

Robert Plant & his band including Seth Lakeman at the Colston Hall last night. Great sound and a completely different set of LZ song versions apart from the Whole Lotta Love encore - although that had a sea-shanty in the improvised breakdown section instead of the old blues and rock'n'roll songs. Terrific gig

Fink at Saint Luke's in Glasgow. Fantastic small venue, first time I've been there and it's a little hidden gem. Fink wasn't too shabby either, great gig.

Saw Fink at the Gorilla Club in Manchester on Friday night. A smallish venue with a small stage but great night for everyone involved.

Caravan in Harpenden last night. Excellent. They do look like OAPs however!
Didn't really know their music at all but saw them last night in Bath and was thoroughly entertained - agree they look like they are out on a day trip from a retirement home but can't fault the musicianship or the fun they have on stage

Alice Cooper (including five or so songs with members of the original band) in Birmingham, supported by the Tubes and Mission thoroughly enjoyable evening.

Saw Fink at the Gorilla Club in Manchester on Friday night. A smallish venue with a small stage but great night for everyone involved.
Was at this one too and thought the venue was great, with a top class P A setup, and resultant good sound.
As you say, a great night for all present, and that includes the band, who seemed to be having something of a "special" night.

Jaga Jazzist and Sinikka Langeland at the RFH on Sunday, as part of the London Jazz Festival.
Sinikka Langeland's set had some pretty magical moments in it, reminding me of Agnes Buen Garnas and Mari Boine.
Jaga Jazzist were badly let down by the sound, but still had a few good moments.

Opeth last night in Barrowlands, Glasgow, pretty good but not as good as last time - mainly due to the setlist which was missing a few of my favourites. The support was Enslaved but their sound setup was so bad I couldn't tell if they were brilliant or crap....
Saw them in Bristol on Tuesday. Enslaved sound was pretty ropey as well. I thought the Opeth setlist was pretty good - though I think we got a couple of different tracks from you - Demon of the Fall and Blackwater Park rather than Era and Drapery Falls - plus an acoustic rendition of Napalm Death's "You Suffer" :D :D Sound was great too.

Queens of the Stone Age at the O2 in Greenwich. Last time I came to the venue could have been for the Prince shows.

The gig was excellent, although the sound was smudged at times.

This probably the sixth time I have seen QOTSA. The changes in the new material remind me a bit of Zappa, which is no bad thing.

Jack

Deep Purple in Manchester on Saturday. Not inpressed to be honest. Gillan may as well have been a bloke who wandered in off the street to do a bit of karaoke. Rest of the band were good but he just didn't seem arsed.

Was at this one too and thought the venue was great, with a top class P A setup, and resultant good sound.
As you say, a great night for all present, and that includes the band, who seemed to be having something of a "special" night.

Saw Peter Perrett there recently. An otherwise good venue spoiled by rip-off price of £3 for a small bottle of water.

Sad Sad Sad, and Perverted in a local living-room (free) concert. Oh, and all of the drinks were free too, Westmalle/La Chouffe whatever...

I saw Robert Plant last night at the Armadillo in Glasgow - it was an excellent show, the Sensational Space Shifters are a first-rate band, Mr Plant was on form and to cap it all the sound quality was pretty much the best I have ever heard at a gig.

Deep Purple in Manchester on Saturday. Not inpressed to be honest. Gillan may as well have been a bloke who wandered in off the street to do a bit of karaoke. Rest of the band were good but he just didn't seem arsed.
Sorry to hear that. The last time I saw them (maybe Reading) he came on-stage bare feet. I also recall a gig of theirs with a new guitarist Steve somebody and he was aweful, kept dropping notes...even I could tell and I woundn't know one end of a guitar from the other. Was Lord with them?

Robert Plant & his band including Seth Lakeman at the Colston Hall last night. Great sound and a completely different set of LZ song versions apart from the Whole Lotta Love encore - although that had a sea-shanty in the improvised breakdown section instead of the old blues and rock'n'roll songs. Terrific gig
I saw Robert Plant last night at the Armadillo in Glasgow - it was an excellent show, the Sensational Space Shifters are a first-rate band, Mr Plant was on form and to cap it all the sound quality was pretty much the best I have ever heard at a gig.

Saw Plant last Saturday in Liverpool, and can echo the above comments. The last tour was very much blues influenced, but this one had a real folk drive which was underpinned by an almost tribal beat. The version of Gallows Pole was excellent, as was the rest of the gig, and yet again the sound quality was superb.

advertisement

Back