advertisement

What concert have you last been to #3

Just back from Ben Ottewell at Wroot Village Hall - your favourite Gomez songs with a singer/songwriter acoustic treatment.

The Chemical Brothers did a DJ Set at Printworks in Canada Water, London. Fantastic music. They go far beyond the capabilities of most deejays.

Luckily I had a VIP pass and could get on the balcony. There were thousands at the gig.

Jack

Last edited:
This afternoon - a free concert at Keble Collage chapel, Oxford. La Nativite du Seigneur, Olivier Messiaen. Organ played by Jeremy Filsell. Absolutely stunning. Massive and varied sounds from the newish (2011) 0rgan, and brilliantly sensitive playing. At times was like he could bend time and the sounds hung in the air. All in the beautiful gothic revival interior. Nice one.

We were out with the silver ravers on Saturday seeing Orbital.
Pretty good, even if they occasionally EDM'ed it up a bit.
Excellent atmosphere, and good to catch up with a bunch of mates unexpectedly.

Went to see Ricky Ross at the Cadogan Hall last week. He played a mix of his newer stuff with the occasional Deacon Blue track. Also enjoyed the support act Anthony D'Amato so bought his first album on vinyl which he kindly signed.

Probably regarded as middle of the road, middle class whatever. But Phil Collins last night at the NEC (the end of his tour) was excellence all round. He has got some fantastic musicians along with him and his son on drums, and a piano duet with Dad, is ridiculously talented - and still only 16 yrs old.

My wife went from 'why are we going to see Phil Collins, I cant remember anything of his' to 'that was the best concert ever as we left.

Pumarosa at Brixton Electric were great, the sound was so so, but great performances.... I agree the band is tight. Some good new stuff that I hadn't heard before, apparently on the debut album (Witch). Great set even without one of my favorites ( Cecile).

Saw Plant last Saturday in Liverpool, and can echo the above comments. The last tour was very much blues influenced, but this one had a real folk drive which was underpinned by an almost tribal beat. The version of Gallows Pole was excellent, as was the rest of the gig, and yet again the sound quality was superb.

Is there a support or just Plant? What time was he on?
(Planning for my trip to Portsmouth next week)

Mastodon at the Glasgow Barrowlands last night, the support bands were Russian Circles and Red Fang. I enjoyed the Russian Circles set - I'll need to buy some of their CDs. Red Fang were good fun stoner rock, as usual. Mastodon were pretty good, but we had to leave early as my 14 year old son was very tired.
For some reason most bands seen to struggle to get a good vocal sound at the Barras, and last night was no exception.
I think I'm a bit "metalled out" now - I need to see more bands where there isn't a mosh pit in front of the stage!

Green Gartside and Alexis Taylor in Aldershot last night. Excellent gig, particularly as it was the first time they'd played live together.
Scritti songs, Alexis Taylor songs, collaborations, and covers ranging from Chic's At Last I Am Free (with a nod to the Robert Wyatt cover) to Gavin Bryars' Jesus Blood Never Failed Me Yet.
Despite my misgivings, their voices worked really well together; and they shared vocals on most of the tracks.
Special mention to Rhodri Marsden who joined them on keys, bass, and backing vocals - he was fantastic.
Thoroughly recommended if they play near you.

advertisement

Back