advertisement

Tory Brexit vs. Animal Rights

Since we are now in a civil cold war I would like to see a little more action. For example, do not buy from businesses that support Brexit. Don't buy services from people that support Brexit. For example, I use a couple of cab firms I need to check and on reflection probably change one. I will not employ anyone who supports Brexit.( I employ contractors) Nor buy or sell anything to pfm members, trade or personal who support Brexit. We are due to have a bathroom fitted I will informally enquire before deciding who does the work and notify the loser why.

I have no doubt this will emerge as a national campaign sooner or later.

Looks like you will be fitting that bathroom yourself, then.....

And will also be in breach of Article 10 of the Human Rights Act, which relates to freedom of expression, it looks to me.

https://www.liberty-human-rights.or...uman-rights-act/article-10-freedom-expression

MVV, I really don't recommend you do this.

And will also be in breach of Article 10 of the Human Rights Act, which relates to freedom of expression, it looks to me.

https://www.liberty-human-rights.or...uman-rights-act/article-10-freedom-expression

Unless MVV is a public authority, I think he's probably fine acting in a personal capacity and I've made some similar personal choices myself. He can't make business decisions on that basis, though, and the not employing people (even contractors) on the basis of Brexit support alone would be distinctly dodgy.

That is about *state* interference. I assume MVV is not a politician.

The very same article means that MVV is free to express his distaste of Leave voters by not spending money with them.

Edit: plus what Sue said.

That is about *state* interference. I assume MVV is not a politician.

The very same article means that MVV is free to express his distaste of Leave voters by not spending money with them.

Edit: plus what Sue said.

True that is the wrong article to quote, but not true that MVV is free to do that. It is illegal to discriminate on the basis of political opinions.

True that is the wrong article to quote, but not true that MVV is free to do that. It is illegal to discriminate on the basis of political opinions.
Discriminate in which sphere? If he's an employer, I agree with you. If he's a consumer, he's surely free to spend his money how he likes. I try to boycott Tory Party donors - am I breaking the law?

The post was a bit of a kite really. But the principle is interesting. I certainly won't buy from businesses that support Brexit like Weatherspoons that is easy. The reality of my business is I hire sub-contractors all the time and that choice is basically 'do I like and trust them'? I can't imagine anyone I might use being a Brexit voter the people in my network seem to prefer bridges to walls.

In that case I agree with glancaster - you would probably be on dodgy ground if you refused to take on Brexit supporting sub-contractors.

Don't be daft. I refuse to take on any twat I don't like and always have. It is simply a case of who I ring up, it isn't exactly a difficult decision.

The Equality Act 2010, for example:

https://www.stephens-scown.co.uk/en...eliefs-at-work-protected-by-the-equality-act/

Possibly more.

Glad to see MVV has had a least a partial reconsideration.

Regardless of the law, you might think it perfectly fair to discriminate against someone on the basis of their Brexit beliefs but how would you feel if your were discriminated against on the basis of yours, or on the basis of your membership of a political party, for example?

Kind regards

- Garry

Given the total lack of evidence, facts, statistics, knowledge or strategy on display Brexit has to be a religion, so it will no doubt be covered/protected along with all that fantasy and fruit-loopery...

I work in consultancy. I am constantly discriminated against for all kinds of undisclosed prejudices and reasons some of which get me work. It is how it works.

Having read the 'conclusions' section of your link istm possibly less.

Regardless of the law, you might think it perfectly fair to discriminate against someone on the basis of their Brexit beliefs but how would you feel if your were discriminated against on the basis of yours, or on the basis of your membership of a political party, for example?

That would depend on the context of the employment, and character of the potential employee.
If you managed/owned a record shop would you employ a BNP/EDL tattooed knuckle dragger to staff the sales/customer service section of the business?

Last edited:
Doesn't take long for prejudice and discrimination to raise it's ugly head. You'd have thought that after decades of legislation, the message would be clear that it's not about race, sexual preference, gender etc, it's actually about treating all people fairly and with dignity.

I work in consultancy. I am constantly discriminated against for all kinds of undisclosed prejudices and reasons some of which get me work. It is how it works.
This is, however, rather the point. We don't enact laws to prevent people doing bad stuff they don't do anyway, we enact them to stop people doing stuff they shouldn't be doing, but are.

MVV - I suspect there are plenty of Brexit supporters (and Trump voters) who in many ways are just as much victims - both Brexit and Trump are the results of a mass deception. I'd stick with your old " 'do I like and trust them'?". If you come across folks who you like and trust but who voted for Brexit try to have a calm talk with them.

If you managed/owned a record shop would you employ a BNP/EDL tattooed knuckle dragger to staff the sales/customer service section of the business?

Well that's where it starts to get interesting isn't it Still?

If we subscribe to the idea that people ought to have freedom of political thought and political association, I think we have to accept that even when we don't agree with those thoughts or associations, otherwise we don't really believe in it, not really.

In this specific situation, presumably the fear would be that this employee would not treat some customers or coworkers fairly or politely, or perhaps that that they may choose to turn up at work with clothing (or uncovered body art) that a reasonable person would find offensive e.g. with racist slogans. If you ask relevant questions at interview, and these suspicions are confirmed, these are reasons why you might legitimately reject their application. Or if you did employ them and found out these things later on, why you might discipline or ultimately sack them. But I don't think you would be right to reject them just because of their political affiliations per se, uncomfortable as that may be.

This hypothetical case you raise has some similarities to this real case of a BNP supporting bus driver who was given the sack:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/work-blog/2012/nov/12/employment-law-political-arena

Kind regards

- Garry

Some Tories still believe in the Welfare State (he uttered in hushed tones) Tim.

They tend to keep quiet about it for career purposes obviously. After all, who would want to risk losing that pension these days?

There is no escaping the fact that the Party is riddled with evil feckers - only too happy to walk over the souls of the weakest in a broken society, those very people your profession would consider to be at risk, only in order to further their material gains. To support that type of behaviour is to be guilty by association IMO.

Just as the masses fleeing the ISIS lines in Mosel claiming they were forced into fighting for the fundamentalists, so supporters of this social butchery should be held to account and put up against the wall.

No hiding behind "well I voted against it". Bullshit. They are building careers supporting the very people who are punishing those most in need.

I thought this thread was about a misunderstanding or a misrepresentation that the Evil Tories had voted to deny the proposition that animals were sentient. Fact is they didn't. That was put about by someone in the Opposition who subsequently fooled a lot of the commentariat.

You are more than welcome to your view that all Tories should be murdered I suppose, but it's not one that's likely to improve dialogue or understanding.

advertisement

Back