advertisement

Tidal reportedly on the brink

As I cannot use spotify with it.
Have you tried the new Spotty plug in? Spotty does require a local LMS, so if you currently only use mysqueezebox.com then you'd need install LMS somewhere on your network but this can be cheaply done with a Raspberry pi if required.

Just browsing the net and stumbled on this article: https://www.engadget.com/2017/12/13/tidal-jay-z-financial-trouble/
As a hifi subscriber I genuinely like the Tidal experience, although I wish the sw was better. I think it will only take for spotify to add better resolution and I will jump anyway, but I do use and like the MQA 'masters'.

Here are the hi-rez alternatives that I could find:
  • HDTracks
  • Naim Label
  • Linn Records
  • Onkyo Music
  • Bowers & Wilkins Society of Sound
  • PonoMusic
  • 2L
  • 7Digital
  • Gimell
  • HD Klassik
  • Deezer Elite
  • Technics Tracks
I fear the catalogues available on these services are somewhat smaller than Tidal/spotify/amazon/apple (will never use apple, they IMO do not care about audio quality and never have).

Which services do pinkfishers use mostly?
This seems to be a mix up of download services and streaming. The short answer is that deezer is probably comparable with Tidal in catalogue. B & W is largely a reseller of LSO live. The others are ok as far as they go, but obviously a record label selling its own catalogue direct is not the same as a streaming service. Hdtracks is highly meh.

Hdtracks is highly meh.
Generally yeah.

There's the odd thing of interest though e.g. I could only find Wolf Alice 'Visions of a Life' at hdtracks. Even so, a bit murky: hdtracks.com had 24/48 and hdtracks.co.uk had 24/96 at a premium but the latter is "Recorded in 48kHz, mastered to 96kHz". My gut said take 24/48.

IMO for downloads it's worth checking everywhere first, to see you're getting the best file at the best price.

Generally yeah.

There's the odd thing of interest though e.g. I could only find Wolf Alice 'Visions of a Life' at hdtracks. Even so, a bit murky: hdtracks.com had 24/48 and hdtracks.co.uk had 24/96 at a premium but the latter is "Recorded in 48kHz, mastered to 96kHz". My gut said take 24/48.

IMO for downloads it's worth checking everywhere first, to see you're getting the best file at the best price.
Yes agreed, although it's not easy to know which one will be the best . To be on the safe side one would want to see a spectrograph and a story about the provenance etc.

My main problem with Tidal and all the other streaming sites is they have far too many recordings.
If, for example, I search for 'London Grammar', I want to see two albums, no more, no less.
Why can't they just list the official CD versions of each band and no more?
If there are strange import versions then put them elsewhere. Loads of the bands in my favourites appear to have dozens of albums when I know they've only ever released 4 or 5.

I don't get it.

These streaming services should stop treating 1982 Cd quality as 'premium' and just have it as an option for those who want it. They'd get more subscribers, and probably 50% would choose mp3 streaming quality to save their data plan.

These streaming services should stop treating 1982 Cd quality as 'premium' and just have it as an option for those who want it. They'd get more subscribers, and probably 50% would choose mp3 streaming quality to save their data plan.

Qobuz does that. You can choose the maximum quality you want to subscribe to, from mp3 to 24/192, and you can choose which quality you want to stream to each of your devices, so you can stream hires to your home and mp3 to your phone. And they have thousands of 2017 quality recordings. And 2016, and 2015 ... Thousands and thousands. A pound a day for the highest quality, a good bit less for lower res.

What I don' like about Qobuz are the yearly subscription only for the higher resolution services.

I get it from a business perspective but as a user I want the option to cancel and jump ship at any given time.

This is enough for me not to subscribe to the sublime and sublime + services

What I don' like about Qobuz are the yearly subscription only for the higher resolution services.

I get it from a business perspective but as a user I want the option to cancel and jump ship at any given time.

This alone is enough for me not to subscribe to the service.

I agree. I subscribed monthly for a long time because I didn’t know whether it would suit me. But it soon became the most important source I have, so I eventually switched to Sublime+ and now wish I had done so months ago.

more than 80% of my listening is Roon/Tidal .. the full monty service price in South Africa is R119 a month..GBP 6.50 (dropped to compete with Deezer
At that price is a no brainer...I would be real upset if Tidal went belly up .. unlike the cretins who say its good news if they fail

Here in Italy Tidal, Qobuz and Dezeer Hi-Fi are all 19.99 € / month

Spotify Premium 9.99€/month

M

advertisement

Back