advertisement

Tidal reportedly on the brink

I currently use roon/tidal. If tidal go I just pay my monthly fee to someone else, and swap out roon for any other UPnP server. I would think the consequences for Roon of no ''in built'' streaming service will be very damaging.

I think the impediment to other streaming services is more to do with integrating their UI with Roons

They don't use the Tidal UI, they are using the Tidal API's and the roon UI, all they need to do is integrate Qobuz or spotify .

I think it is 99.9999% to do with Meridian and MQA.

I currently use roon/tidal. If tidal go I just pay my monthly fee to someone else, and swap out roon for any other UPnP server. I would think the consequences for Roon of no ''in built'' streaming service will be very damaging.

Except those that purchased the Roon lifetime subscription.

Roon would have to make reasonable attempts to honour the lifetime subscription for those have bought into it by partnering with another service provider if Tidal was to finish.

I went with roon for its interface in part, in built streaming in part, the uncertainty over a number of streaming services is why I only went annual. There have been rumours about streaming services for a while.

Thought the article linked in the OP states.
Tidal may only have enough cash left to last six months.

And the Norwegian newspaper providing the source has a history of putting Tidal down.

As if the internet would ever provide misleading/fake news.

Some potentially interesting implications:
- IIRC Spotify turned down Roon integration, as that would probably limit their ability to force adverts onto their users. Wouldn't be surprised if that's the reason why Tidal is still the only service with APIs to Roon. As a Roon subscriber, can't say I'm that bothered, as I love it's interface with my own music collection, but does make you wonder about long term development
- Might well discourage QOBUZ and similar from offering hi-res streaming
- Would almost certainly stop the discussions about MQA, as I'm unaware of any other streaming service offering it

Put the above together, and this could be the permanent end of streaming above CD bitrates. Now some people seem to think that there's no benefit to more, but I'm guessing that anyone with SACD, DSD, BD-audio and similar collections would disagree.
So if you want hires digital, looks like back to paying through the nose for "ownership" of files from HDtracks and similar.

Last edited:
My advice is get a Qobuz Sublime+ subscription and enjoy it for as long as it lasts. Wonderful. Wish i’d done it ages ago. Doesn’t matter if the interface isn’t super slick, doesn’t matter if the metadata is not exactly as you would wish, such issues soon become trivial when you have access to such a rich catalogue of recordings to stream, many in hires, many with the original sleeve notes, many with useful critical comments. Less than a quid a day.

My advice is get a Qobuz Sublime+ subscription and enjoy it for as long as it lasts. Wonderful. Wish i’d done it ages ago. Doesn’t matter if the interface isn’t super slick, doesn’t matter if the metadata is not exactly as you would wish, such issues soon become trivial when you have access to such a rich catalogue of recordings to stream, many in hires, many with the original sleeve notes, many with useful critical comments. Less than a quid a day.

For 30 quid a month I'd want a super slick interface, High resolution streaming as opposed to Flac and a platform widely supported.

That's Quobuz out the window. - Coming to think that's Tidal and Spotify gone too :)

For 30 quid a month I'd want a super slick interface, High resolution streaming as opposed to Flac and a platform widely supported.

That's Quobuz out the window. - Coming to think that's Tidal and Spotify gone too :)

Qobuz does give you high resolution streaming - up to 24/192. If you wish you can even store files locally, so if your internet is flakey, or you are offline, you can still listen. It runs on Windows, iOS, android and OS x, all of which are widely supported. Like most interfaces, if you want to be picky you might find things you don’t like. But it’s easily good enough to access a range of music that was beyond any dream 10 years ago. For about the cost of a mouthful of Starbucks coffee a day.

Put the above together, and this could be the permanent end of streaming above CD bitrates. Now some people seem to think that there's no benefit to more, but I'm guessing that anyone with SACD, DSD, BD-audio and similar collections would disagree.

If the "hi-res" formats would die away, maybe the record companies would finally release the superior masters even in "standard" 44.1/16 format, and everybody could be happy - OK, except for Eric (the pet bat).

As mentioned above, Sublime+ is high resolution. The standard Sublime (which I have) is standard 16/44.1 with the exception of any albums you’ve bought in hi-res - they’ll stream in hi-res.

FLAC is just a file format and there’s nothing to prevent it being standard or hi-res.

I’ve not been long streaming but id be pretty gutted if Tidal went. The UI is ok - I guess just used to it now.
Must try Qobuz by the sounds of things.

I feel the everyday user will be looking for more, this is reflected in the healthy sale of portable DACs, I hope.
Pick a random 100 Spotify users from the street and ask if they have considered a portable dac. 99 of them will have no idea what you are talking about.

If the "hi-res" formats would die away, maybe the record companies would finally release the superior masters even in "standard" 44.1/16 format, and everybody could be happy - OK, except for Eric (the pet bat).

Seriously?
One of the potential hopes for MQA was that they "might" use the best master available. (note the use of the word "hope", clearly not guaranteed).
Shame that you and others saw fit to try to sink the idea.
Just who do you think will ever try it again if MQA fails?

Losing Tidal implies that there's not enough confidence in the market for hires streaming (hardly going to be helped when some people spend their time saying it's not needed).

As already mentioned, I'm sure everyone who feels that SACD and other hires formats have sonic benefits will love the doomsayers.

advertisement

Back