advertisement

Tidal reportedly on the brink

I would be more interested in the advance of Chinese music sharing companies such as Tecent.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42285181

Spotify has a user base of around 140 million . Tencent Music Entertainment owns music streaming companies QQ Music and KuGou, which have a combined monthly user base of 450 million people.

Qobuz have a very different strategy to other companies. It is based on providing a very high quality service and making a profit out of a very small user base because their revenue per customer is 5 to 10 times as much as other services. THey expand into new countries slowly and methodically, and I hear they are planning a service in the USA. There are plenty of people who like classical and jazz and are willing to pay for premium quality, better than having millions of customers who pay little or nothing.

Sprint bought a share in Tidal to sell mobile telephone contracts. If net neutrality collapses in the USA other ISP's will no doubt sloe down Tidal or charge extra to provide it.

Yep, Qobuz nearly went down the pan a while back, but seem to be hanging on, thankfully. I wouldn’t put a lot of money on either Qobuz or Tidal lasting. I think Qobuz has a slightly better chance of surviving as they are are a bit more niche, european and are good at classical and jazz. Tidal are caught between Spotify and apple and Youtube; why pay for stuff when you can get it free. And not many people are falling for the MQA hype either.
Yes you can get Spotify (with Ads) and Youtube free but Tidal's selling point is streaming CD quality 16 bit music and that is what I pay for if a company came along and offered High Res streaming I would go with them UI isn't so important as SQ to me.
All though great Qubuz doesn't have as many of the titles that I like as Tidal does and Spotify sounds quite bad on certain streams.

I like Tidal, hope it survives. For me it works. At the end of the day though, if all fails I will continue to place the needle on the record..........

I like Tidal, hope it survives. For me it works. At the end of the day though, if all fails I will continue to place the needle on the record..........

Same here, in fact my RPi installation got corrupted a few weeks ago and I've still not bothered to reinstall it as I'm enjoying my old LPs too much.
Still giving Tidal money for nothing though.........

Both Quobuz and Tidal have been teetering on the brink of financial demise for some time. I use Tidal for 75% of my listening (via Squeezebox) and would be sad to see it go, but the music will be out there somewhere, so I'll just have to subscribe to something else. This isn't a concept that is going to go away anytime soon, and I've not got used to not owning music, though I've still not devised a way of remembering that track I found last week... when I bought CDs I could just go and browse through the CD rack.

I was just until last month a long time spotify user, I switched over to tidal as it still works with my sbt, but to me it's poor man's spotify.

It's crap for looking/being offered, shown new music only the same stuff day in day out for a week or so it feels.
The music is American orientated to the point of feeling excluded.

If I can sell my sbt then that's the end of tidal for me.

Agree, the interface engine is woeful on Tidal compared to Spotify but SQ is better (Hifi).

Agree also that there should be no allegiances or loyalty. I happily jump ship if someone offers better/cheaper. A bit like banking and utility providers.

Jay-z's promotions also annoy me. I pay 20 quid a months and don' want ad's!

I suspect prices will be higher once some of the competition fold up.
All the streaming companies are losing money in a race to drive each other out of business, while payment to the artists is pathetic

I subscribed to Tidal when I first installed Roon. Roon was so good at helping me to discover music I already had that I only used Tidal sporadically in the year I subscribed. I thought it was too overpriced for someone to dip in and out so canned it. I didn't think it sounded all that good either, certainly not up to its promise of CD quality for me. Also agree that the app wasn't inviting, it was poor at suggesting new music to me and was way to biased for an American audience. It's tight integration with Roon was it's only saving grace to be honest but that still did nothing for new music suggestions.

I don’t use the recommendations from Qobuz, I tend to look for music based on articles and reviews I’ve read, or curiosity I have about particular musicians.

I’m old fashioned. I tend to buy shit. I find having made the investment i actually give the album the time to become familiar with it and to garner a worthwhile opinion.

I've tried a handful of streaming services but they all suffer the same thing, they're shit. It just doesn't feel like selecting music, its just soulless browsing in a musical pound store where you know they are underpaying the staff.

I find most of my new music via soundcloud, then I buy it.

Tidal accounts for most of my listening and I would be sad to see it go. If it does I will have to find another lossless provider.

advertisement

Back