advertisement

The longest most boring song?

Is it too early to mention Pt Metheny, and Zero Tolerance for Silence?
Never having heard this, I selected a random bit on You Tube…

…and I think it’s great! It sounds like Ribot playing both guitar parts from a 1980s King Crimson record.

To me, long and boring suggests a noodly Chick Corea mini-Moog solo with way too much pitch-bending, probably with Stanley Clarke slapping every note on his bass in a different order a hundred times over.

From the otherwise excellent Brotherhood of Breath album from Chris McGregor
.... less engaging than 20 mins listening to a bowl of Rice Krispies:

I saw Philip Glass perform Music In Twelve Parts a while back. Took three hours and there were some pretty long stretches where nothing much happened. I enjoyed it though. Kind of unbelievably boring but meditative and trippy at the same time.

I saw it in Brighton a few years back. IIRC I saw him do a live score of Koyaaniqatsi the following day too.
Getting tickets for Music In Twelve Parts was a bit of a gamble; as it I can find it either completely involving, or incredibly irritating, dependent on my mood. Luckily I was in the right mood (and a pinch of shrooms helped too....).

You're probably not going to like Dylan's "Murder Most Foul" then...

I find both mesmerizing.

My candidate for long and dreary would be "Battle of Evermore" on LZ IV. It may only clock in at 5:38, but it seems much longer. "Four Sticks" is pretty dreary and monotonous too, at only 4:46.

I forgot "Goin' to California", another long dreary number.

I agree with Tony, that Desolation Row may be one of Dylan's best tracks. I am surprised that almost none of the long guitar jams with drum solos of the late sixties/early seventies have been mentioned. In A Gadda Da Vida anyone? Demographics maybe? Boomer here. Has this forum been taken over by Gen X? I love e.g. the Allman Brothers Live (with Duane Allman) and also Cream Live, but also a lot of disgusting crap has been published in those days under that approach. Blame it on (misunderstood) Hendrix and Clapton.

Canned Heat's 41 minute "Refried Boogie" on "Livin' the Blues" takes some real dedication to get through.
I own and love this record since 1970. And yes, it does take some real dedication to get through. I very rarely listen to the whole thing. It is one of these too many long guitar/drum solo live recordings of the late sixties I mentioned in my post above. But this is also something else. The first three minutes or so with only Alan Wilson playing are pure magic. And also his solo with the band a little later. He is in a league of his own. Nobody played like him. All the other white blues guitar players of these days wanted to do the single note Chicago style. He instead was dedicated to Country Blues and most of all to John Lee Hooker. I listen to the intro of 'Refried Boogie' on a regular basis.

I agree with Tony, that Desolation Row may be one of Dylan's best tracks. I am surprised that almost none of the long guitar jams with drum solos of the late sixties/early seventies have been mentioned. In A Gadda Da Vida anyone? Demographics maybe? Boomer here. Has this forum been taken over by Gen X? I love e.g. the Allman Brothers Live (with Duane Allman) and also Cream Live, but also a lot of disgusting crap has been published in those days under that approach. Blame it on (misunderstood) Hendrix and Clapton.
Led Zep have been mentioned a few times. Allman Brothers are an interesting one, I have a couple of their records, really like their debut. However, they have influenced every dreary pub blues band going.

I was listening to Radio Paradise earlier today while sitting down to Sunday dinner. A song began, it never seems to end, I actually felt time was standing still. I’d finished eating before it finished.

It was Desolation Row by Bob Dylan.

I have the album from whence it came, listened to it once, was reminded why.

Any other contenders.
Tusk...ALL of it.

What is this Elbow song called please?
I suspect he may be referring to ‘One day like this’ which he is mistaken about, and which I love. Won an Ivor Novello songwriting award, IIRC. Just goes to show, we are all different. And just because you say the same thing three times in as many pages, doesn’t mean you are right.

It's long, but boring? In the eye of the beholder I guess, but Josh at least knew what people might think...

I'm beginning to begin to see the end

Of how it all goes down between me and them
Some 10-verse chorus-less diatribe
Plays as they all jump ship, "I used to like this guy
This new shit really kinda makes me wanna die"

Billy Joel - scenes from an Italian restaurant

It was on BB2 radio 2 a few days ago and seemed to go on for 15/20 minutes. When i looked it up it is “only” a 7 minute track and I don’t think that they played all of it - i suppose it backs up the idea that time is relative :)

advertisement

Back